Unique Melody double/triple hybrid universals announced: UM 2X & 3X Discussion thread.
Jan 9, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #91 of 118

Hmm, strange. Maybe this was a small batch, I got.

I tried it directly from the HO. Let aside the DX50, which I like for its form factor and functionality, less for the soundquality. Amped it is good.

I also tried the UM 3X with the Sony PHA-2. Sounds ok - good. Still waiting for the Hifi ET MA9 to load up, which is still my favorite source.

So for they tend to be on the neutral side. Also the highs are rather shy, which disqualifies it to be V-shaped. They have the experience, but somwhere it was stated, that the Merlins definitely are in another league.

How are they as compared to the dt1350 and re-zero? i owned both items before, and saw them in your profile - would just give me an idea how the UM 3x are as compared to the two.

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #92 of 118
How are they as compared to the dt1350 and re-zero? i owned both items before, and saw them in your profile - would just give me an idea how the UM 3x are as compared to the two.

Did not listen to the RE-Zeros for a long time. I will try them this weekend. Sadly, I sold the DT1350, often I think, tjat should not have.

Not easy to compare IEMs and headphones. The obvious difference are the lows. While the DT1350 was most of the time shy on the lows and only with some sources it shined, the 3Xs lows are present. Somewhere in the 2digit Hz area they have a bump, but maybe it was just the track.

No, i also got the information from UM regarding the missing logo on the frontplate of their existing stock and decided to wait two additional weeks.  
What do you think about the build quality - is it the same compared to the UM customs?
What iems are your daily favorites from your collection?

Dont't know the build quality of ciems, but this one is ok-good quality wise. With the Fostex, Senns and ATHs I am used other quality levels.

My everyday IEM is the Sennheiser IE8. Sometimes I have the ATH-ES10 with me.

As a sidenote. I have serious fit-issues with the 3X. I have small ears.

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #93 of 118
Did not listen to the RE-Zeros for a long time. I will try them this weekend. Sadly, I sold the DT1350, often I think, tjat should not have.

Not easy to compare IEMs and headphones. The obvious difference are the lows. While the DT1350 was most of the time shy on the lows and only with some sources it shined, the 3Xs lows are present. Somewhere in the 2digit Hz area they have a bump, but maybe it was just the track.

really looking forward to the 3x. if it's just in the realm of the re-zero and dt1350 - it's a keeper for me. can't wait for my pair to arrive!

sold my dt1350 simply because i'm more of an iem user. simply wasn't using it that much - so i sold them to fund for the purchase of the 3x
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #94 of 118

really looking forward to the 3x. if it's just in the realm of the re-zero and dt1350 - it's a keeper for me. can't wait for my pair to arrive!

sold my dt1350 simply because i'm more of an iem user. simply wasn't using it that much - so i sold them to fund for the purchase of the 3x
biggrin.gif

Some impressions so far:

Highs: thats the only part, that I am not sure if I like it.

Mids: not bad, definitely smooth

Lows: extend low with good quality and quantity

Love the vocals on this one. Just listened Hey Now from London Grammar. Reids voice sounds quite nice with the UM 3X.

I need so much more listening time with these. At the moment I am on the verge of not sending them back.

My current source: Fiio Combo X3 + E12DIY (LME49600 + opa604)

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #95 of 118
I just got mine as well, I'll get to my first impression further down, firstly, I was hugely disappointed on 3 things:
  1. The bubble wrap that wrapped around the metal box was incredibly oily, not sure what it is, but it smelled like a mechanical type of oil.
  2. The lid of the metal case was slightly dented, again, not sure from what, doesn't really worry me though as to me sound matters the most, but still...
  3. The BIGGEST disapointment was, as soon as I open the metal box, there was a huge amount of black dust/flints that covered the entire cable from the jack to the body, I was shocked, so straight away I grabbed some tissues and antiseptic wipe and just ran them through the cable repeatedly until I am sure it is cleaned, then, upon fitting the tips, I can see some of the black flint got inside the filter/body...

I was seriously considering returning the damn thing just because of the above, I truly did not expect this from a company like Unique Melody, I will email them later tonight and will ask them to explain, to me, it looks like as if the IEM was produced in massive rush, that they forgot to clean, and put on the UM logo etc...

Initial impression, I like everything about it, except the slight spike in the upper mid region, the bass has big impact and goes down deep, but it sounds loose and not as fast as the competitors such as Astrotec AX-60 or Dunu DN-1000

More to come soon...

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #99 of 118
On sunday I realized that the right earpiece is broken. Sometimes it stops working when I try to fit the earpiece in my ear.

I emailed um about that and that I want to send it back and get a refund, but they did not answer.

I do not know what to do now, should I just send it back? What schould I do? I got it last thursday I believe, so it should be possible to get a refund.

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #101 of 118
Think I'll pass on these, shame as they looked like they might be good

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #104 of 118
...maybe time to cancel my order...
@RAFA: sorry for the troubles - you have 24 months warranty (i'm shure UM will replace the defective one)

Actually I would not like an replacement.Just a refund. They do not write back, I do not know what I should do now

oh man...don't really like what i'm seeing right now. hope my unit is ok.

@ RAFA

have you tried using another cable?

Sadly I do not have another cable :frowning2:

EDIT: they wrote back, I can get a refund :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back