Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jul 12, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #6,886 of 7,305
For hearing BC you have to plug Mest MKII really deep in your ear and have good seal. But it's not the best BC implementation so even then you could not hear it. I don't know MEXT, but Noble Kublei Khan make better use of BC and here is easy to hear it. I'm wondering how it working in Mest MKIII...
The Mext have a feelable vibration around the BC driver at 375-430Hz, when placing a finger on top of it - tested with a tone generator 🙂

Jul 14, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #6,887 of 7,305
Impressions on UM Mest Mk iii

Firstly, massive thanks to @Benno1988 for loaning me his pair and a shout out to Musictek! Also, while this isn't the Australian tour pair, this is in lieu of that, so thanks again to @Damz87 for organising the many wonderful tours.

All thoughts and impressions are mine. I had the opportunity to spend two weeks with the Mest Mk iii and they were used as my daily driver. Total listening time would be in the vicinity of 40 hours.

My setup for these: iPhone 14 Pro Max -> Tidal -> Lightning to USB C -> FiiO Q7 -> 4.4mm Mest custom cable -> Mest Mk III

Packaging, Inclusions, Fit:

Simple but OK. The included leather case is very nice, I also really like the mesh bag for the shells. Leather clip for the cable is a nice touch. The included tips also come in a plastic case which is much better than the plastic bags included with others.

Umbrella tips (open and closed) are included. I've never seen anything like the open tips, I didn't like the sound with them but they did alleviate the pressure. The closed tips were fine, I preferred my Final E or Spinfit W1's.

The cable is quality however it's also cumbersome. Due to the design kinks always happen unless you're super careful. Soundwise I had no complaints with the cable, but if I were to buy I'd be replacing it with something else.

The shells are beautiful (blue ones). The fit was great for my ears and I had no issues with the fit for extended sessions. Where I did have an issue with extended sessions was the lack of venting, they generally started to become a little uncomfortable after an hour or so. Resting for a few minutes was enough to reset my ears. I feel like this must have been known (given the inclusion of the 'open' tips), actual venting would be a great improvement for future iterations.

Sound:

Lows: Great sub bass rumble on some tracks. Nicely textured and clean. Not the most bass I've heard from IEM's but for the presentation here it's very enjoyable for the majority of music. You certainly feel the bass here, on a few occasions I was listening late at night and drifting off to sleep, they can jolt you back to awake with the right tracks!

Mids: V shape see's the mids somewhere in the middle of the mix, no complaints as it suits what I like just know they're not in your face. Male vocals sound nice, proper depth/weight, female vocals didn't connect with me as much as they can on other sets. Timbre is fantastic, very lifelike, a real standout. A little warm / smooth.

Highs: Really liked the highs, seems like it's bright but not harsh. Plenty of air without sounding fake. Very well tuned. Detail retrieval in this space is excellent.

Overall a very enjoyable sound, no major complaints. Everything I threw at them sounded great to fantastic.

Soundstage, Imaging, Technicalities:

Soundstage is wonderful, 3D with good height and depth. Imaging is top notch as well with the ability to be able to pinpoint everything in the area around you. They deal with multilayered tracks extremely well, enabling you to pick out intricacies which are easily lost on other IEM's. I had a lot of fun listening to live music / complex classical / noisy industrial music on these and would recommend them just based on this, let alone their overall wonderful sound.

Overall:

I really enjoyed my time with the Mest Mk III. On the technicalities and sound front they get a strong recommendation from me. My only caution is related to the pressure build up I had when listening. At their price point they should be in contention for anyone looking for a new IEM, I don't think anyone would really dislike this set and is a safe purchase in my eyes (or ears :)).

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #6,888 of 7,305
Impressions on UM Mest Mk iii

Firstly, massive thanks for @Benno1988 for loaning me his pair and a shout out to Musictek! Also, while this isn't the Australian tour pair, this is in lieu of that, so thanks again to @Damz87 for organising the many wonderful tours.

All thoughts and impressions are mine. I had the opportunity to spend two weeks with the Mest Mk iii and they were used as my daily driver. Total listening time would be in the vicinity of 40 hours.

My setup for these: iPhone 14 Pro Max -> Tidal -> Lightning to USB C -> FiiO Q7 -> 4.4mm Mest custom cable -> Mest Mk III

Packaging, Inclusions, Fit:

Simple but OK. The included leather case is very nice, I also really like the mesh bag for the shells. Leather clip for the cable is a nice touch. The included tips also come in a plastic case which is much better than the plastic bags included with others.

Umbrella tips (open and closed) are included. I've never seen anything like the open tips, I didn't like the sound with them but they did alleviate the pressure. The closed tips were fine, I preferred my Final E or Spinfit W1's.

The cable is quality however it's also cumbersome. Due to the design kinks always happen unless you're super careful. Soundwise I had no complaints with the cable, but if I were to buy I'd be replacing it with something else.

The shells are beautiful (blue ones). The fit was great for my ears and I had no issues with the fit for extended sessions. Where I did have an issue with extended sessions was the lack of venting, they generally started to become a little uncomfortable after an hour or so. Resting for a few minutes was enough to reset my ears. I feel like this must have been known (given the inclusion of the 'open' tips), actual venting would be a great improvement for future iterations.

Sound:

Lows: Great sub bass rumble on some tracks. Nicely textured and clean. Not the most bass I've heard from IEM's but for the presentation here it's very enjoyable for the majority of music. You certainly feel the bass here, on a few occasions I was listening late at night and drifting off to sleep, they can jolt you back to awake with the right tracks!

Mids: V shape see's the mids somewhere in the middle of the mix, no complaints as it suits what I like just know they're not in your face. Male vocals sound nice, proper depth/weight, female vocals didn't connect with me as much as they can on other sets. Timbre is fantastic, very lifelike, a real standout. A little warm / smooth.

Highs: Really liked the highs, seems like it's bright but not harsh. Plenty of air without sounding fake. Very well tuned. Detail retrieval in this space is excellent.

Overall a very enjoyable sound, no major complaints. Everything I threw at them sounded great to fantastic.

Soundstage, Imaging, Technicalities:

Soundstage is wonderful, 3D with good height and depth. Imaging is top notch as well with the ability to be able to pinpoint everything in the area around you. They deal with multilayered tracks extremely well, enabling you to pick out intricacies which are easily lost on other IEM's. I had a lot of fun listening to live music / complex classical / noisy industrial music on these and would recommend them just based on this, let alone their overall wonderful sound.

Overall:

I really enjoyed my time with the Mest Mk III. On the technicalities and sound front they get a strong recommendation from me. My only caution is related to the pressure build up I had when listening. At their price point they should be in contention for anyone looking for a new IEM, I don't think anyone would really dislike this set and is a safe purchase in my eyes (or ears :)).
I somehow find your findings similar to mine. Specially on that darn cable. 😆

Jul 14, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #6,889 of 7,305
I somehow find your findings similar to mine. Specially on that darn cable. 😆
Just had a read, nice review! Yeah, the cable sounds great to me but I couldn’t live the design on an IEM. If they were a full size HP I’d be fine (as a Grado fan it’d be hypocritical of me to not be 😂).

On your note about timbre, was it just the thinness? Did you try tip swapping at all? With the W1’s these sounded extremely accurate to me.

Jul 14, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #6,890 of 7,305
Just had a read, nice review! Yeah, the cable sounds great to me but I couldn’t live the design on an IEM. If they were a full size HP I’d be fine (as a Grado fan it’d be hypocritical of me to not be 😂).

On your note about timbre, was it just the thinness? Did you try tip swapping at all? With the W1’s these sounded extremely accurate to me.
I'm waiting for them to return to me as I've loaned it to friends for a tour. I have the stock tips with me and as much I love the stock tips, i have observed that they make the midrange sound.. a bit funny. So I'm skeptical that the tips are the culprit for making the midrange of the mk3 a bit off. The mk3 should be with me again anyday now and some serious tip rolling is at hand. I've read in this thread that the mk3 is really sensitive to tips.

Btw, have you guys watched Gizaudio take on the mk3? Lol. Well, to each his own. I quite love the mk3 and I'm just looking for ways to fix that slight drawback on the timbre of the midrange.

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #6,892 of 7,305
I did a tip shoot out today with the Mest 2. Same three songs, one voice, on classical, one rock. Used same volume levels for each tip, here is how I rank them:

Spinfit W1 > Azla Crystal > Azla X elastic > Final Type E.

Some notes:

Final type E - darker sound, nice mid bass, but mids not as forward.

Azla x elastic - brighter than the final audio, a little more mid and treble detail with similar bass performance.

Azla Crystal - these are tougher to fit, but when the fit is good the Crystal has better presence, emotion, and the sense of an event. I felt this crossed the threshold to just hearing music to getting lost in it. I do feel like the bass is a touch lower vs the others and it creates a higher contrast with the mids, making the sound more 3D and voice tracks and classical very engaging. Rock less so.

Spinfit W1 - easy to fit every time. Better bass than the crystal, a little less bright but outstanding mids. Still very engaging and conveying detail and emotion, but I feel it’s more balanced than the Crystal with better bass along with great mids. Excellent depth and creates emotional engagement across all genres of music.

If I could only use one, it would be the W1 with the Crystal as an honorable mention. Fit on the Crystal is just a little too challenging with the super short nozzle whereas with the W1 I get consistent fit every time.

Jul 15, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #6,893 of 7,305
I did a tip shoot out today with the Mest 2. Same three songs, one voice, on classical, one rock. Used same volume levels for each tip, here is how I rank them:

Some notes:

Azla x elastic - brighter than the final audio, a little more mid and treble detail with similar bass performance.

Azla Crystal - these are tougher to fit, but when the fit is good the Crystal has better presence, emotion, and the sense of an event. I felt this crossed the threshold to just hearing music to getting lost in it. I do feel like the bass is a touch lower vs the others and it creates a higher contrast with the mids, making the sound more 3D and voice tracks and classical very engaging. Rock less so.

Spinfit W1 - easy to fit every time. Better bass than the crystal, a little less bright but outstanding mids. Still very engaging and conveying detail and emotion, but I feel it’s more balanced than the Crystal with better bass along with great mids. Excellent depth and creates emotional engagement across all genres of music.

If I could only use one, it would be the W1 with the Crystal as an honorable mention. Fit on the Crystal is just a little too challenging with the super short nozzle whereas with the W1 I get consistent fit every time.
You should get ahold of and try UMs "umbrella" tips. Best for my Indigo of all yours posted.

Jul 16, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #6,894 of 7,305
20230715_104122.jpg

My review of the MEST MK3 is now available: https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2023/07/unique-melody-mest-mk3-review.html

Kind of brief overview: Great smooth and resolving sound. Good technical performance. Works well with most music. Love the look of everything it came with - albeit not a big fan of the stiffness of the cable, and the tips didn't do it for me with this product, despite loving how they fit and feel. The more refined and coherent of the MEST series in my opinion to date.

Jul 17, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #6,895 of 7,305

Some notes:

It’s probably bad form to reply to my own post, but i tested the Azla Sednafit light short tonight. I would place it somewhere in between the Azla xelastic and final audio E in performance.

Vs the Spinfit W1 it doesn’t convey the same level of detail, emotion, or musicality across every genre. The W1 seems to have the perfect upper mid and treble energy that makes voices connect and emotion pour through instruments.

The Sedna sounded like I was hearing the music, but not feeling it. These trials have taught me how special the W1 is, shame you can’t buy packs with just the size you want.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #6,896 of 7,305
Yep. I’ve had my indigos with Mojo 2 for three days now. Previously I was using mojo 2 with Mest2 and that was a potent combination with some tasteful EQ. The Indigo is a few steps up from mk2 in many many ways esp treble but I’ve yet to do an A/B comparison. The EQ on mojo2 makes it hit way above its price point. Many people ditching their Hugo 2 as they prefer M2!!!
Hi there what DSP settings did you use on Mojo 2 with Unique Melody Mest MKii ? I am currently running this combo and would love to try different settings

Jul 19, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #6,898 of 7,305
Jul 19, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #6,899 of 7,305
Well finally...after 10H of decadent writing....my Unique Melody Mest MK3 ultra wordy review is there.

And I feel i've just express 10% of all the acoustic richness these can deliver....

These aren't just End Game IEM, they are Game changer too....i mean, I was aware of bone conduction potential with the Mext but this suck up all the juice of it+4 extra EST and better tuned bass and overall balance....we are into sky high acoustic perfectionism here. Simply put, while I know i was an abnormaly demanding and critical listener hardcore audiophile (with open mind).....i didn't know it was possible to have the psychoacoustic freedom to truely explore that deep and precisely all details, texture, definition subtilities, attack speed dynamism and impact, natural resonance of instrument like piano sustain pedal etc....so fully...it's literally like being able to see better in the dark than plain day light....

OK...stop Erik stop....you've done a 5 pages written review already....let them read that. If they have 15min to spend.
Pros:
-superhuman resolution
-ultra precise next level imaging
-holographic multi layered soundstage
-fast punchy textured bass with excellent definition
-excellent sub and mid bass layering and resolution
-vast open mids with fully covered sound info
-fowards vocal, piano and main instrument
-rich in details texture yet transparent enough too
-edgy definition, no contour blur
-fast snappy ultra controlled attack
-infinite number of micro details: effortless way
-treble sparkle-brillance and long clean natural resonance
-even silence have resolution info
-can deal and even refresh any music you throw at
-neutral with slight bass boost, lively and crisp way
-non fatiguing tx to BC driver
-small and light housing is very comfortable
-intense noise isolation
-strange to say but: good sound value even at this price!

Cons:
-those who love thick colored mids timbre might find it slightly thin
-at VERY high volume we can have extra fuzzy resonance in upper mids with soprano singer loud passage
-the bass impact isn't vast in headroom and not super weighty or chunky (not for basshead)
-treble info might be overwhelming for some
-cable is absurdly bulky

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/unique-melody-mest-mkiii-cf.26526/reviews#review-31285

1689805540942.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back