Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
May 23, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #6,632 of 7,348
Thanx for the help guys!
I think i will eventually try these JVC but for now I'm more than happy with earfits long. The only thing is that the earphones stick just a bit out of my ears, so the short ones or JVCs seem to be an end game solution.
Maybe will try Symbios too but the sound now makes me smile every time so maybe is better to just stick to what i have now.

May 23, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #6,633 of 7,348
Has anyone tried the SpinFit W1 tips for the Indigo (or even Mk2)? I have them on my Indigo and they seem to make the soundstage bigger and as a result things seem even more separated. I also hear that the peaks in the mid-upper treble are ever so slightly more pronounced, but this is fairly minimal. Mids seem to me untouched.

May 23, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #6,634 of 7,348
I just checked the MusicTeck website again. The price for the red with 4.4 is still at $2359.
Strange mine shows 1919 posted a screenshot too

May 23, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #6,635 of 7,348
Making Mest MK3 a bastardized Indigo is a missed opportunity in my opinion. Indigo is yesterdays news and we should be moving on. MEST has built its own reputation as an IEM that is simply elegant and a trend setter that doesn’t draw attention to itself. Some MM trickle down tech/performance inside an elegant shell without bling and christmas ornaments would have been a better choice.

Two additional electrostatic drivers that play outside the range where 95% of music information exist doesn’t seem to offer much progression. After waiting impatiently for MK3, I will now be holding on to my MK2.
I'd have to echo @twister6 here, and encourage you (and others) to wait and see how it actually sounds once released, because who knows, right? :)

As he mentioned, the MEST/MEXT line has generally had a history of relatively minor changes from one version to another (although each offering something that the others don't). Having said that, one could say the same regarding UM's all-BA flagship versions over the years, but they've produced some absolute stunners along the way (Mason/Fusang being my favourite thus far).

Also, I can notice a significant impact from the use of electrostatic drivers in other manufacturer's IEMs (e.g. vs use of BA's instead), and here I put my faith in the fact that UM probably aren't going to increase the amount of tech they have to cram into the smallest shell possible, increase unit production costs, and dedicate a bunch of R&D to something that would have a negligible impact (4 EST drivers vs the 2 in the previous model).

You also said about wishing for some trickle-down MM tech, which is exactly what we're getting here: "Then, of course, a newly innovated palladium/silver alloy bone conduction driver that was first introduced in the TOTL Mason Red Halo/La Jardin and Multiverse Mentor.". This is a big plus point for me personally, for reasons I'll go into below! :)

I can say I definitely have noticed a tangible difference in the performance of UM's bone conduction drivers as they research and develop new designs for their BCD's; I'm thinking MEST Mk I vs Mk II vs Mason Fusang.
With Fusang, I feel the BCD's brought a gorgeous note weight and tactility, and I'd be delighted if some of that effect carries across to the MEST Mk III.

Finally, I liked the MEST Mk II design more than Mk I. And loved the red design on one of the Mason iterations.
I don't have the Indigo (which was only a limited edition anyway), so the chance to have that kind of design, AND have a red option too gets a thumbs up from me personally.

As ever though, everyone will have their own personal thoughts and preferences, and I certainly respect yours! Don't know if any of this is of any encouragement/use to you, but just wanted to respond with my thoughts :)

May 23, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #6,636 of 7,348
I'd have to echo @twister6 here, and encourage you (and others) to wait and see how it actually sounds once released, because who knows, right? :)

As he mentioned, the MEST/MEXT line has generally had a history of relatively minor changes from one version to another (although each offering something that the others don't). Having said that, one could say the same regarding UM's all-BA flagship versions over the years, but they've produced some absolute stunners along the way (Mason/Fusang being my favourite thus far).

Also, I can notice a significant impact from the use of electrostatic drivers in other manufacturer's IEMs (e.g. vs use of BA's instead), and here I put my faith in the fact that UM probably aren't going to increase the amount of tech they have to cram into the smallest shell possible, increase unit production costs, and dedicate a bunch of R&D to something that would have a negligible impact (4 EST drivers vs the 2 in the previous model).

You also said about wishing for some trickle-down MM tech, which is exactly what we're getting here: "Then, of course, a newly innovated palladium/silver alloy bone conduction driver that was first introduced in the TOTL Mason Red Halo/La Jardin and Multiverse Mentor.". This is a big plus point for me personally, for reasons I'll go into below! :)

I can say I definitely have noticed a tangible difference in the performance of UM's bone conduction drivers as they research and develop new designs for their BCD's; I'm thinking MEST Mk I vs Mk II vs Mason Fusang.
With Fusang, I feel the BCD's brought a gorgeous note weight and tactility, and I'd be delighted if some of that effect carries across to the MEST Mk III.

Finally, I liked the MEST Mk II design more than Mk I. And loved the red design on one of the Mason iterations.
I don't have the Indigo (which was only a limited edition anyway), so the chance to have that kind of design, AND have a red option too gets a thumbs up from me personally.

As ever though, everyone will have their own personal thoughts and preferences, and I certainly respect yours! Don't know if any of this is of any encouragement/use to you, but just wanted to respond with my thoughts :)

I have calmed down a bit since making that post :relaxed:. Waiting for objective feedback is a good suggestion. It is what is is and sometimes we can’t have all we want.

Nonetheless I don’t think MK2 is lacking in the upper treble region and still believe those 2 new MK3 drivers would have been best added to the midrange.

I am a big fan of bone conduction drivers after experiencing it in MK2 and any improvements in that area is a good thing.

May 23, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #6,637 of 7,348
I have attached a PDF for all the custom options for MKiii! A lot of newly added colors and materials.

Attachments

• Color palette for MKIII (1).pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
May 23, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #6,638 of 7,348
I have attached a PDF for all the custom options for MKiii! A lot of newly added colors and materials.
That's absolutely awesome! We're going to need to talk :wink:

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 23, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #6,639 of 7,348
As someone who was looking to purchase a MKII I am both excited and disheartened by the MKIII lol.

I will now have to mull about my purchase even more! Excited to see some reviews about the MKIII and whether I should go with that instead.

May 24, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #6,640 of 7,348
Thanx for the help guys!
I think i will eventually try these JVC but for now I'm more than happy with earfits long. The only thing is that the earphones stick just a bit out of my ears, so the short ones or JVCs seem to be an end game solution.
Maybe will try Symbios too but the sound now makes me smile every time so maybe is better to just stick to what i have now.
Another option might be Clarion TRI tips. I started using these on my Oriolus Szalayi and they transformed those IEMs into something special. I tried them on my UM MEXT and the same thing happened - simply amazing sound. I just received my Indigo today and tried the Clarion tips immediately. Just like those other two IEMs, the Indigo sounds amazing with the Clarion tips. Super clear, huge soundstage, eerie realism, with a solid bass backbone.

With the JVC, Spinfits, Azlas, etc., all these IEMs sound "muffled", for lack of a better word, to my ears. The Clarions open them up significantly. I feel absolutely no urge to tip roll any further. And they're not very expensive - 9 bucks for 3 pairs. Give them a try, I promise they will significantly change the sound (for better or worse to your ears). YMMV.

May 24, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #6,642 of 7,348
From tomorrow on Musicteck $900 discount on Multiverse Mentor... if it's interesting... so you don't think about the Mest MKIII anymore... lol

May 25, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #6,644 of 7,348
After couple weeks of trying Mest Mk2, my couple cents:
It’s a very nice tuning, capable of reproducing music with tons of details, resolution, nice punchy bass, and a little recessed mids.
I’m coming from Anole V14 as my endgame iem, and Dx320 edition X as my choice of endgame dap🙃
In comparison with anole mest is more flat, depth is recessed. But I’m very much enjoying a smaller shell and better usability on the go (never got my anole out of the home).
They do a lot of stuff in a fun way - vividly, exciting and interesting enough to keep my focus of attention on music.
I tried Prototype mest mk3 (not sure as this was never mentioned as prototype on CJ NYC 23)
It was less entertaining- maybe because of being brand new (all drivers inside really need some time to “settle”) and blue ceramic shell wasn’t pleasant to ear.
I settled on Audio Technica Eartips:

ER-CKS50M​

Imo they provide best seal and performance with demanding iems. Very solid.
I rolled many cables on mest - my most favorite is Dunu Hulk og (without shielding) second is Eros S.
These are really fun and very well executed iems: with plenty of resolution, clarity, and bass punch.

May 25, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #6,645 of 7,348
Here’s a pic from tonight listening:
Eros S, Mest Mk2 and Parasound Zdac v2
Couple words about zdac :
IMG_2769.jpeg

it’s very versatile and capable dac- based on AD1853 it sounds very nice, not regular ESS/Akm and now rare BB tuning. Somewhere in the middle with bb pcm1792/ and ak4495. Has a warmish sound signature. But for iems it gives a huge soundstage - which sounds organic - which is really good for mest, sometimes it’s ss sounds a little bloated.
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back