Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Mar 1, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #6,421 of 7,306
The same shell in black colour with just one emblem screw in golden would’ve been much better IMO
This is as close as I could get without blurring the details:

MKIII black:gold.png

Mar 1, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #6,424 of 7,306
This is as close as I could get without blurring the details:

Lol well done!
Looks much better but sadly still feels like a significant downgrade from any previous MEST...
I kind of look at it as a positive, one less IEM to desire as the next upgrade :). For me of course sound is paramount, but there is a little collector jewelry effect going on that I enjoy with the Mest 2 carbon and gold look… indigo looked really good I thought too.

Mar 1, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #6,425 of 7,306
Mar 1, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #6,427 of 7,306
Burn in is mostly psychological and per Sennheiser's research team does not really change anything. Although I am more towards believing that burn-in can change something than cables, cause cables don't change anything.

Interesting, I’m in the camp that burn in improves the sound. Of course it could be more your brain needs time to burn in. Either way, I tend to not critically listen tell at least 100 hours in.

Mar 1, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #6,428 of 7,306
Interesting, I’m in the camp that burn in improves the sound. Of course it could be more your brain needs time to burn in. Either way, I tend to not critically listen tell at least 100 hours in.
There are so many areas in this hobby that I thought were ridiculous and absurd until I heard the differences myself. Ranging from cables making a difference, to cables burning in, to vacuum tube burn in, the quality of the power outlet on a two channel system, to even the rack on transports or vinyl. So for me it wasn’t surprising to hear changes in IEMs whether physical or psychological because this is the land of insane hi-fi.

Another factor that’s not “burn in” is for me it takes time to figure out the tips and gain settings and EQ. Gain and treble sensitivity are linked and depending on the track makes sound good or great. Once dialed in I’ve been really happy but for me it takes a while to experiment all that.

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #6,429 of 7,306
A bass head iem doesn’t change the signature using a silver cable, nor a treblehead iem changes using a pure copper cable. I would say it’s all about fine tuning when it comes with cables.

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #6,430 of 7,306
Burn in is real to dynamic driver, it’s physics.

Mar 2, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #6,431 of 7,306
Burn in is real to dynamic driver, it’s physics.
The "it's physics" argument often fails in other departments like cables though... because people think they know better and in their opinion cables make a difference. Very funny to see people cherry picking what they like from physics and what they don't.

Truth is, audio is extremely subjective and is often very much based on our perception and expectation. Kind of like good hot chocolate. If you're served your hot chocolate in a mug that burns your hands and also sticks to your hands a bit, the chocolate is not gonna taste good because of your perception of it (kinda like a crappy cable). If you the chocolate is served in a nice ceramic mug with good isolation and shape, you will think the chocolate is much better despite it still being the same chocolate (kinda like using a good cable). But you still don't need a golden mug... but it is probably gonna make the chocolate taste a little bit better in your mind.
It is important to have what you perceive as good or better because it will probably improve things on your end... doesn't mean it is an objective truth that everyone must heed.

Mar 2, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #6,432 of 7,306
The rubber soften and gets loose with use. It’s not a statement, it’s a fact. Cables are more a matter of objective stuff but dynamic driver rubber gets soften up with time. Again, physics, not my statement.

Mar 2, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #6,434 of 7,306
C'mon guys! This discussion is not worth it, and will drag on forever.
true

kind of like arguing if Marmite is tasty or a punishment; everyone has their own opinion

for me, I have tested different cables on IEMs and, to me, they can make a difference. not every time, but they CAN sometimes. I also am a believer in burn-in. I think anyone would if they owned any IMR IEMs.....

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #6,435 of 7,306
C'mon guys! This discussion is not worth it, and will drag on forever.

Good point it's been discussed debated so many times it's probably best to agree to disagree on this subject.

So back to the Mest MKiii any ideal on price point. I’m thinking somewhere btw the Mest MKii and indigo but hoping for lower. Been considering selling the Mest MKii before it losses anymore value and was wondering what a fair price would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back