Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jan 23, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #6,286 of 7,365
It’s hard to measure this in percentages…it’s just a little different presentation. After just receiving the Indigo and comparing the 2 here are my thoughts: 1. the indigo has more bass and a thicker overall sound 2. The Mest has a little more “sparkle” up top due to the way the bass and mids are tuned 3. Soundstage and imaging is a bit better on the indigos. 4. They both sound great and to say that the indigos sound more than 15% better may not be accurate. It depends on what u like.
You are right! I am more into sparkle than bass so mk2 would be a better pick ?

Jan 23, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #6,287 of 7,365
Jan 24, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #6,289 of 7,365
How about Mest Mk2 cable, it is also loose with Indigo..in case somebody has both of them..
My original mest cable, on the right side, is too loose of a fit. And the IEM has once or twice slipped off the cable and landed on the floor (carpet thankfully).

I ended up buying the Effect Audio Ares S cable, and it's no longer a problem.

Jan 24, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #6,290 of 7,365
My original mest cable, on the right side, is too loose of a fit. And the IEM has once or twice slipped off the cable and landed on the floor (carpet thankfully).

I did the same thing, and while it's not as slippery, the shells slip out after a few wears off I don't check them.

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #6,291 of 7,365
1. the indigo has more bass and a thicker overall sound
this pretty much does it for me. I have felt that the MKII are "missing something" on the top end and would prefer a "thicker" sound. the indigo might just be the fix.

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #6,292 of 7,365
Just my personal 2c about eartips.

When it comes to uni iems, tip rolling is the most significant contributor of sound changes because it will control the seal and the insertion depth. Plus, the difference in material will affect absorption/reflection of the sound waves as it bounces between your eardrum and the tip of the nozzle inside your earcanal. Also, the bore opening can make a big difference as the sound funnels through into your earcanal. And so on.

It is also a very subjective experience since we have a different shape of the outer ear and the inner earcanal. I always include tip rolling section in every single of mine iem reviews, to share my experience and to raise awareness about what other eartips available out there.

But the fact still remains that people WILL hear it differently, not the same as the reviewer. So my personal advice is to build eartips collection and to try every pair of eartips you got with every new iem to hear the difference and to figure out which one gives YOU personally the best sound balance and fit comfort :)
I have read a lot of reviews on your site, thank you very much for all your work!

Wondering, how would you compare the Indigo to your top 5 IEMs? would it be in your top 5?

Jan 25, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #6,293 of 7,365

The Effect Audio cables I have tried were a tighter fit with the mest mkii. Another option is to slightly and carefully bend the two-pin connection out just a smidgen. That will help with keeping the cable connected to the mest mkii more firmly in place.

The Effect Audio Ares S cables are a great match to the Mest MKII well using a Shanling dap. I felt the Audio Cadmus worked slightly better with a tube based amp in my system.

With the Indigo I’m using the Effect Audio Cleopatra 2, the cable included with Indigo is a excellent cable. I just feel with using tubes the Effect Audio Cleopatra 2 are a better choice in my system.

Jan 31, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #6,294 of 7,365
Hello all, just sharing some recent learning. My goal is to squeeze every bit of good sound from my mest 2 before getting the bug and upgrading down the road.

Yesterday I discovered that gain settings have strengths and weaknesses. Using the Hiby R6 2020 I found:
1) Low gain, narrowed and deepened the stage, improved resolution. Makes voice focused songs much more engaging by putting them in focus and conveying the emotional subtleties of the singer.
2) High gain - stage is wide and flat, and bass slam increases. This makes metal and rock tracks sound great! Guitars are forward and lateral and have excellent crunch and drive.
3) Medium gain - balanced sound stage and little bit of 1 and 2, which I found works great for classical or music where you want to focus on instruments all over the stage.

I hypothesize that more gain creates a v shape curve but don’t have measurements to prove it, just my ears and enjoyment of various music types.

Anyway the low and high gain trick has brought back the magic and taught me the mest has more to give.

Take care!

Jan 31, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #6,295 of 7,365
Finally ordered the Indigo! So excited to hear them!

Jan 31, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #6,296 of 7,365
Congratulations! They are special for me. My first real experience into TOTL iems and I was tearing up when I first heard them.

Jan 31, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #6,298 of 7,365
You've waited long enough! I hope it makes you as happy as it does me!

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #6,299 of 7,365
Jan 31, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #6,300 of 7,365
Way to go! I saw your WTB listing in the classifieds. I hope that's what worked out for you.
Edit
LOL.... Looking at your post above, I was posting my post while you were posting yours. Again, congrats!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back