Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jan 3, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #6,121 of 7,329
Here is a little trick for you DIYers willing to experiment. I took a Final Audio Type E tip and trimmed the nozzle barrel back by about 3/8's of an inch. This allows the tip to go much closer to the nozzle. Look at the pictures.

The reason I did this is because the Final Audio Type E tips are by far the most comfortable tips imo but too bassy and not enough resolution due to the extra long barrels. So I shortened the Barrell and it now has more detail, texture, zero bloom, and I just love it. Highly recommended if your willing.
Is the cable the Eletech Fortitude 8 core?

Jan 4, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #6,122 of 7,329
received the MEST MKII yesterday

initial impressions...I think preferred the Monarch MKII to the MEST MKII. I’m burning in the MEST at the moment to see if they change, but rn I cant find any tips that make them sound how I imagined they would sound. thinking on sending back the MEST and possibly getting the Indigo instead....

Jan 4, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #6,123 of 7,329

initial impressions...I think preferred the Monarch MKII to the MEST MKII. I’m burning in the MEST at the moment to see if they change, but rn I cant find any tips that make them sound how I imagined they would sound. thinking on sending back the MEST and possibly getting the Indigo instead....
Try the Azla tips that I think are included. The UM tips do not work for me or anyone from what I read, but the Azla seal very well from experience with the Indigo and I feel the BCD more prominently. Tips are so important here.

Jan 4, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #6,124 of 7,329

Moondrop Spring Tips did the job for me with the indigo! :D

Jan 4, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #6,125 of 7,329

My favorites are the included silicone and the xelastics which are also included.

Jan 4, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #6,126 of 7,329

After a bunch of people here recommend the ePros TWS I gave them a try, and I think they work best for me.

Jan 4, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #6,127 of 7,329
I also like the E pro TWS01 sadly I can only find the TWS00 at Amazon. The TWS01 have a larger bore size. Not sure if the TWS00 fit.

I also like the Sedna Xelastec and the Softears Liquid Silicone ear tips.

Jan 4, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #6,128 of 7,329
After a bunch of people here recommend the ePros TWS I gave them a try, and I think they work best for me.
I also like the E pro TWS01 sadly I can only find the TWS00 at Amazon. The TWS01 have a larger bore size. Not sure if the TWS00 fit.
where can you find them? I looked on google and could only find the TWS00 also

Jan 4, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #6,129 of 7,329
I received the Mest MKii today, and I have been listening to it for the past four hours, and I can't find the "right" tip for this unit. I tried both Xelastec and the blue heart silicone tips and found it really treble bright/sharp. With the blue heart, it is more tamed, but the xelastec seems to be the better fit for my ears? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Other than its fit and the sharpness, the resolution compared to my Shure's is night and day.

Jan 4, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #6,130 of 7,329
Jan 4, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #6,131 of 7,329
I received the Mest MKii today, and I have been listening to it for the past four hours, and I can't find the "right" tip for this unit. I tried both Xelastec and the blue heart silicone tips and found it really treble bright/sharp. With the blue heart, it is more tamed, but the xelastec seems to be the better fit for my ears? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Other than its fit and the sharpness, the resolution compared to my Shure's is night and day.
You can try JVC Spiral Dots or Final E tips. If you are sensitive to the treble, those will tame it a bit. However, I like the sharpness and detail and only with a few tracks have I found the Mest MKIIs fatiguing. You can also try Azla Short Light. Plus, after listening for awhile your ears should get used to it and it won't bother you that much.

Jan 4, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #6,132 of 7,329
With Musictechs recent sale on MEST MkII I came close several times to pulling the trigger on them, but in the end I did not. Why, because I have to admit I absolutely LOVE the MEXT - I still do and my enjoyment from them keeps growing. It may not have the technicalities of the Mest 1 or 2 but it is so unbelievably musical and to me it is lacking absolutely nothing. I've got a couple of sets with a bit more sparkle and air up top but that does not in any way imply that the treble is lacking - not for me anyway, it's just not presented by ESTs. I really think these MEST are one of the most under-rated IEMS out there. its deep wide wide, has phenomenol holographic imaging, is supremely comfortable and for me ticks all the boxes. I use Azla Sedna Crystal tips - which give all the conduction and sealing benefits of the Xelastecs without deformation and degradation over time. The only thing i didnt like was the stock cable. It might be made by PW but IMO it is NOT a premium cable. It was a thin 2 core (maybe 4 - I dont remember I sold it), tangly thing that I really think choked off its full capability. I replaced it with an 8 Core Pure Silver Pure Copper Litz (4 core each) from XinHS and the MEXT opened right up. I then swapped over to EA Eros S and it's just lovely. beautifully balanced - no no reference but satisfyingly musical and loaded with detail. Last week EA sent me a prototype of their new Code 23 which I married up to the MEXT for a couple of days - and my instant reaction continues to be "Holy Cow - It's like a wall of sound"
Bottom line for me, let the MEXT run in to get the most of the DD, toss the cable (because it's PW someone will buy it) and slap on a set of Crystals - and Voila. I just cancelled my order for the $2000 IMR Titans because I'm so happy with MEXT and the EA cable - I think the only place I'd go from here is Indigo.

Jan 4, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #6,133 of 7,329
With Musictechs recent sale on MEST MkII I came close several times to pulling the trigger on them, but in the end I did not. Why, because I have to admit I absolutely LOVE the MEXT - I still do and my enjoyment from them keeps growing. It may not have the technicalities of the Mest 1 or 2 but it is so unbelievably musical and to me it is lacking absolutely nothing. I've got a couple of sets with a bit more sparkle and air up top but that does not in any way imply that the treble is lacking - not for me anyway, it's just not presented by ESTs. I really think these MEST are one of the most under-rated IEMS out there. its deep wide wide, has phenomenol holographic imaging, is supremely comfortable and for me ticks all the boxes. I use Azla Sedna Crystal tips - which give all the conduction and sealing benefits of the Xelastecs without deformation and degradation over time. The only thing i didnt like was the stock cable. It might be made by PW but IMO it is NOT a premium cable. It was a thin 2 core (maybe 4 - I dont remember I sold it), tangly thing that I really think choked off its full capability. I replaced it with an 8 Core Pure Silver Pure Copper Litz (4 core each) from XinHS and the MEXT opened right up. I then swapped over to EA Eros S and it's just lovely. beautifully balanced - no no reference but satisfyingly musical and loaded with detail. Last week EA sent me a prototype of their new Code 23 which I married up to the MEXT for a couple of days - and my instant reaction continues to be "Holy Cow - It's like a wall of sound"
Bottom line for me, let the MEXT run in to get the most of the DD, toss the cable (because it's PW someone will buy it) and slap on a set of Crystals - and Voila. I just cancelled my order for the $2000 IMR Titans because I'm so happy with MEXT and the EA cable - I think the only place I'd go from here is Indigo.
I just received my EA Ares 8w, which is big like the Indigo stock PWA, a bit bigger actually, but based on this, I can't wait to try it with this new cable. So far, the MMR Balmung has sounded extraordinary with it, so I'm excited to hook up my indigo 😁

Jan 4, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #6,134 of 7,329

Would you say the bone conduction is really providing a unique, holographic and immersive experience in comparison to other IEMs? Or is it lacking in that "special" factor it is often touted for? I have the ier-z1r but I was thinking about the MEST MKII for a more neutral signature with... better mids xD

Jan 4, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #6,135 of 7,329
I just received my EA Ares 8w, which is big like the Indigo stock PWA, a bit bigger actually, but based on this, I can't wait to try it with this new cable. So far, the MMR Balmung has sounded extraordinary with it, so I'm excited to hook up my indigo 😁
What’s interesting is that I owned a PW Indigo cable which I bought off another head fier here and preferred the stock MestMK2 cable on the Mest. It had greater soundstage and just sounded better than the more expensive Indigo cable on the Mest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back