Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
May 25, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #5,626 of 7,320
I have an important question regarding the small vents on the MEXT. I’m not talking about the silver vent on the side face plate but the small hole which sits facing forward. With a deep fit I find these little holes easily get covered by a part of the ear. So my question is does it matter if they are covered with a deep fit? And what effect do they have on the sound? I would guess they serve to relieve pressure however due to the semi open design can we also speculate that there would be a wider soundstage with them left uncovered by the ear.

It might be in my head but I sense there is more of a holographic presentation when the vents are left uncovered. Can anyone else comment?

On a completely separate note I find the upper treble on the MEXT borderline unbearable. The treble has an uneven shizzle quality that makes listening to house music and a lot of electronic music uncomfortable and somewhat painful. Really don’t understand how people can call this monitor smooth in the treble. Snares and hi hats are pretty much piercing and deafening.

May 25, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #5,627 of 7,320
I have an important question regarding the small vents on the MEXT. I’m not talking about the silver vent on the side face plate but the small hole which sits facing forward. With a deep fit I find these little holes easily get covered by a part of the ear. So my question is does it matter if they are covered with a deep fit? And what effect do they have on the sound? I would guess they serve to relieve pressure however due to the semi open design can we also speculate that there would be a wider soundstage with them left uncovered by the ear.

It might be in my head but I sense there is more of a holographic presentation when the vents are left uncovered. Can anyone else comment?

On a completely separate note I find the upper treble on the MEXT borderline unbearable. The treble has an uneven shizzle quality that makes listening to house music and a lot of electronic music uncomfortable and somewhat painful. Really don’t understand how people can call this monitor smooth in the treble. Snares and hi hats are pretty much piercing and deafening.

If your set is brand new, burn-in will do the trick. People often forget that cables, like capacitors, have a dialectic that needs forming/stabilization before it performs at its best. Often a brand new cable may have some upper frequency irregularities, and getting 50+ hours on it will result in a smoother treble response. ✌️

May 25, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #5,628 of 7,320
If your set is brand new, burn-in will do the trick. People often forget that cables, like capacitors, have a dialectic that needs forming/stabilization before it performs at its best. Often a brand new cable may have some upper frequency irregularities, and getting 50+ hours on it will result in a smoother treble response. ✌️
+1 :thumbsup:

May 26, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #5,629 of 7,320
Ok I’ll report back after I’m deaf and no longer irritated by the upper treble response.

For all you MEXT owners I dare any of you to put on some drum and bass or house music and tell me it’s buttery smooth up top.

May 26, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #5,630 of 7,320
Ok I’ll report back after I’m deaf and no longer irritated by the upper treble response.

For all you MEXT owners I dare any of you to put on some drum and bass or house music and tell me it’s buttery smooth up top.
I find my Mest 2 and Indigo to have spicy upper treble. Deep fit made a big difference for me. I don't find the Mests relaxing in that area of the treble.

May 26, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #5,631 of 7,320
May 26, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #5,632 of 7,320
I find my Mest 2 and Indigo to have spicy upper treble. Deep fit made a big difference for me. I don't find the Mests relaxing in that area of the treble.
I’m not sure the MEXT works with deep insertion. This is what I was saying... doing so covers the forward facing vents which I think are there to relieve pressure. It almost certainly affects the way the earphone attack / decays. It probably affects the soundstage the way open backs do too. So I think MEXT is not for deep insertion.

Unique Melody should chime in and tell us what those vents do and whether it matters if they’re covered.

Jun 3, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #5,636 of 7,320
Final Audio TWS and Type E sounds different?

Yes, the TWS are wider bore than the Type E so they have a bit more treble energy and a bit less bass. I echo @14christ with the list of gotos except I also add Azla Crystal TWS, Spinfit CP100, and CP360 to the mix. I can swap between any of those and be happy. They all do things slightly different but in their own way none is "better" than the others, just different.

Jun 4, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #5,637 of 7,320
Shameless plug as well, if anyone is interested in selling their MEST Mk1 (any visual condition, especially interested in the JP/Hong Kong version) in Europe, I'd happily pay around 600€ for International or 700€ for HK/JP :D

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #5,639 of 7,320
I bought the Mest 2, my first truly hi-fi in ear, and they are truly spectacular, I love the bass they can reproduce, excellent soundstage, unfortunately they don't make you regret the headphones, quite the contrary! 😂
Thank you, Andrew (musictek)!
Roberto

Jun 6, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #5,640 of 7,320
I have a MEST with the two pin connectors that stick out from the IEM.

Does anyone know what connector this is?
TFZ Two Pin? Is it QDC?

0CACC0EF-7C54-4351-BB12-0DE5AF036CB5.jpeg

I want to buy one of these cables.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/10050...d5b-b76c-4dbe49f54c95-3&gatewayAdapt=Pc2Msite

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back