Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Apr 3, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #5,432 of 7,365
Listening to Mest MKii, it is still my most satisfied IEM, its holographic is unbeatable.
I could not agree with you more!!! I've listened to iems 2x the cost that don't come close the the resolution, detail, transparency, holography, subbass extension, soundstage and imaging. Mest is the best I've heard this far.

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #5,433 of 7,365
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I can't find anyone local, I got my wife to ask her Audiologist friend and she's not aware of any here in Atlantic Canada. I might end up having to ship physical impressions.

If you ship physical, UM will send scans back to you :)

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #5,434 of 7,365
If you ship physical, UM will send scans back to you :)
Oh, that is awesome. I sent UM a message that I'd like to begin the process and getting any info I need before I book an appointment for impressions.

I'm loving the MEST Mk2 so much that I told my wife this makes it my endgame. She groaned and said that it must be my sixth or seventh endgame now but I really mean it this time. The tuning of the Mk2 is exactly what I would describe if someone were to ask me what my perfect sound would be. Musical bass with just enough punch to be physical without being overpowering, smooth mids that give vocals a "singing to you" quality instead of just existing in the mix, highs that bite and give an aggressive edge when called for (guitar solos can sound other worldly) without being fatiguing.

The Soundstage is hands down the best I've heard from an IEM and on par with the best of the open-backs (the width of the SS wows me more than my HD800S did). Cymbals and HiHats are also the best I've ever heard from an IEM, that's always been the tricky part I found. DD's aren't adept enough at the high range to give the tizz that a closed HiHat needs and BAs alone have a weird tone for HHs. The BA/ES mix for the frequency range that covers HHs is perfect, get the hit sound from the BA but the reverberation and air from the ES.

Admittedly, I haven't heard any higher end units as my $1000+ experience with IEMs ends with these and the Andromeda S. I'm currently signed up for the Canadian tours for the EXT and Phonix, as well as the three new Fir Audio models but I'm considering dropping out. If I never hear them I can pretend that I'd like the Mk2 better than them anyway but on the other hand, if I stay in and get them and don't find them compelling over the Mk2 it's better for the "grass is greener" syndrome in the long run.

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #5,435 of 7,365
Oh, that is awesome. I sent UM a message that I'd like to begin the process and getting any info I need before I book an appointment for impressions.

I'm loving the MEST Mk2 so much that I told my wife this makes it my endgame. She groaned and said that it must be my sixth or seventh endgame now but I really mean it this time. The tuning of the Mk2 is exactly what I would describe if someone were to ask me what my perfect sound would be. Musical bass with just enough punch to be physical without being overpowering, smooth mids that give vocals a "singing to you" quality instead of just existing in the mix, highs that bite and give an aggressive edge when called for (guitar solos can sound other worldly) without being fatiguing.

The Soundstage is hands down the best I've heard from an IEM and on par with the best of the open-backs (the width of the SS wows me more than my HD800S did). Cymbals and HiHats are also the best I've ever heard from an IEM, that's always been the tricky part I found. DD's aren't adept enough at the high range to give the tizz that a closed HiHat needs and BAs alone have a weird tone for HHs. The BA/ES mix for the frequency range that covers HHs is perfect, get the hit sound from the BA but the reverberation and air from the ES.

Admittedly, I haven't heard any higher end units as my $1000+ experience with IEMs ends with these and the Andromeda S. I'm currently signed up for the Canadian tours for the EXT and Phonix, as well as the three new Fir Audio models but I'm considering dropping out. If I never hear them I can pretend that I'd like the Mk2 better than them anyway but on the other hand, if I stay in and get them and don't find them compelling over the Mk2 it's better for the "grass is greener" syndrome in the long run.
That's exactly what happened to me. The grass is greener. The sound signature of mk2 is just perfect for me and my ears. The only iem I am about to buy is the indigo only because it's similar to the mk2

Apr 3, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #5,436 of 7,365
I have been away for the week and listening to the mason FS out of my hugo 2 and I must say it is spectacular

Apr 3, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #5,437 of 7,365
I have been away for the week and listening to the mason FS out of my hugo 2 and I must say it is spectacular
Nice! I'm about to pull the trigger on the z1r first though. Then decide if I want to keep it. If not it's going on the forums and I'm sending funds to Andrew to have an audition of the Indigo.

Apr 4, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #5,438 of 7,365
Nice! I'm about to pull the trigger on the z1r first though. Then decide if I want to keep it. If not it's going on the forums and I'm sending funds to Andrew to have an audition of the Indigo.
I tried the z1r for about 3 weeks but the fit and recessed mids just didn't work for me. I'd definitely buy from some place that takes returns. IMHO, they are about 5 year old technology, and the IEM market has moved forward in leap and bounds since they were released. The do have really great bass and "stick-hit" level treble - but as someone who listens to a lot of female vocals (and Geddy Lee :laughing:) it took me about 30 min after getting the Mest Mkii to decide to pack up the z1r and return them for a refund.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #5,439 of 7,365
Z1r sounds great! Great pairing with Dx312 also, somehow it helps the mids. Amazing bass and treble, if only i can wear it longer. Fit did not work for my ears. I find it compliments my Indigo well soundwise but can not tolerate more than 30min of listening so that was a deal breaker.

Apr 5, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #5,441 of 7,365
The qdc connect on my mest OG cracked in half from me trying to connect the wire , it still works though just split. Emailed andrew lets see what it cost + shipping to get it fixed 😢😢😢 anyone super glue it ?

Can you show some pics of it?

Apr 6, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #5,442 of 7,365
I can still insert the qdc wire works fine . Emailed andrew

Attachments

• DBF32824-7BE4-4AA1-B8E8-6DF8CDB8D35C.jpeg
    DBF32824-7BE4-4AA1-B8E8-6DF8CDB8D35C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 5B8A5E7D-0C6E-4510-919B-83254425374B.jpeg
    5B8A5E7D-0C6E-4510-919B-83254425374B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 7D0555C8-1651-4ABE-968C-33B1FCCC97D7.jpeg
    7D0555C8-1651-4ABE-968C-33B1FCCC97D7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 3B43428D-8A0D-4A50-A2F9-E85A2A32CD08.jpeg
    3B43428D-8A0D-4A50-A2F9-E85A2A32CD08.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Apr 6, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #5,443 of 7,365
Apr 6, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #5,444 of 7,365
My Packages from MTMT and Amazon showed up, a quick rundown on the tips I'm testing now:

Azla SednaEarFit Light - They're ok but the longest stem out of this batch so much more shallow insertion depth than the rest.
Azla SednaEarFit ShortLight - These are really good. Same material as the Light but with a shorter stem so deeper insertion.
Azla SednaEarFit Crystal for TWS - These are probably the most interesting as the stem is the shortest of the bunch and the grill of the MEST Mk2 sits flush with the tip. Bass is lighter than the next two.
Epro TW01 for TWS - These are really good. Not as short of a stem as the Azla TWS but still short. Deep insertion.
Final Type E for TWS - So far these are the best of the bunch. Same depth as the Epro but more comfortable. Slightly narrower bore for just a bit extra "oomph" in the low end.

I'd say this batch coupled with my favs that I already had (Spinfit CP360 and 1045) kind of highlight my thoughts that a shorter tip is best with the MEST. I prefer all of these (minus the SednaFit Light) to the rest of my tips: Spiral Dots, Symbio W and F, Spinfit CP100 and CP500, ElastiTechs, various Comply, Final E.

I think the deeper insertion helps the BC make maximum contact so it really seems like the tips marketed as TWS might be the ticket. I really want to play with the Crystal TWS a bit more. I like the idea of the driver being flush with the tip so there is nothing between the nozzle and your ear kind of like a custom in that regard. I'm still on the fence about having mine converted to custom, the documentation UM sent me last night has a lot of provisions about customs fees and getting dinged for fees in both directions on a $1500 IEM could be a considerable expense.

Apr 6, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #5,445 of 7,365
My Packages from MTMT and Amazon showed up, a quick rundown on the tips I'm testing now:

Azla SednaEarFit Light - They're ok but the longest stem out of this batch so much more shallow insertion depth than the rest.
Azla SednaEarFit ShortLight - These are really good. Same material as the Light but with a shorter stem so deeper insertion.
Azla SednaEarFit Crystal for TWS - These are probably the most interesting as the stem is the shortest of the bunch and the grill of the MEST Mk2 sits flush with the tip. Bass is lighter than the next two.
Epro TW01 for TWS - These are really good. Not as short of a stem as the Azla TWS but still short. Deep insertion.
Final Type E for TWS - So far these are the best of the bunch. Same depth as the Epro but more comfortable. Slightly narrower bore for just a bit extra "oomph" in the low end.

I'd say this batch coupled with my favs that I already had (Spinfit CP360 and 1045) kind of highlight my thoughts that a shorter tip is best with the MEST. I prefer all of these (minus the SednaFit Light) to the rest of my tips: Spiral Dots, Symbio W and F, Spinfit CP100 and CP500, ElastiTechs, various Comply, Final E.

I think the deeper insertion helps the BC make maximum contact so it really seems like the tips marketed as TWS might be the ticket. I really want to play with the Crystal TWS a bit more. I like the idea of the driver being flush with the tip so there is nothing between the nozzle and your ear kind of like a custom in that regard. I'm still on the fence about having mine converted to custom, the documentation UM sent me last night has a lot of provisions about customs fees and getting dinged for fees in both directions on a $1500 IEM could be a considerable expense.
Ok so you have sold me on the Final Type E for TWS. I absolutely love the Final E tips and refuse to use any other due to the comfort, slam, and the fact they completely eliminate treble spikes through some sort of magic. lol

I agree on the custom charges. I remember someone saying in the end the total cost was around $5-600 usd when it was all said and done. something to consider as you said, relatively speaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back