Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Aug 20, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #3,721 of 7,306
I have both and love them for various reasons but do prefer the IE900 as an all-rounder. I reference MEST as a comparison in my impressions, the first review in the link below. I said it back then and it still applies, if I could only keep one IEM, it would be IE900.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sennheiser-ie-900.25145/reviews
Thanks. Yeh a tough one here. I have extensively auditioned ie900 and really loved their bass.
Mest looks like a bit more modest in bass but has slightly bigger stage and better imaging. Which is another important thing for me.

I think there is no other way but to buy mest and see for myself... And then sell it if i like ie900 more or return it.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #3,722 of 7,306
Thanks. Yeh a tough one here. I have extensively auditioned ie900 and really loved their bass.
Mest looks like a bit more modest in bass but has slightly bigger stage and better imaging. Which is another important thing for me.

I think there is no other way but to buy mest and see for myself... And then sell it if i like ie900 more or return it.
That's the same reason I'm about to purchase the MK2. Soundstage, imaging, seperation. All of those things are most important to me atleast I think so now.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #3,723 of 7,306

Stage is definitely bigger - wider and taller which is more impressive but ultimately, I find the more 'stereo-sound' like delivery of IE900 more natural - coherency is stunning and for me a key factor for IEMs moving forward.

Yes if you can, good to have both and decide which is right for you.

Aug 20, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #3,724 of 7,306
Regular 2-pin. I find the NA cables more pliable, but not overly soft. Has a nice sturdy and well build feel, and lighter around the ears (stop feeling them once the music starts). What’s important to me is the use of silver solders in the production, to take advantage of the silver cables properly. Silver is the best conductor… so reason to go for gold or other precious metals. I’ll only use pure silver or pure copper (the cheaper, next almost as good conductivity metal) for cables.
Just ordered this cable 👍 any chance you have pictures of the Mest MKII with this cable? Just curious to see how the carbon fiber hardware looks.

Aug 20, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #3,726 of 7,306
Just ordered this cable 👍 any chance you have pictures of the Mest MKII with this cable? Just curious to see how the carbon fiber hardware looks.
Here u go bud

983A5089-CAB4-4223-A194-76B8D841F74F.jpeg

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #3,729 of 7,306
@Skullar - My experience with these suggests that "bass shy" isn't likely to be your perception. I find them to have strong, fast and textured bass response, with especially well-rendered sub-bass. I've bought hard into the Tri-brid ecosystem (as you can see in my sig, and as the missus has spotted in the Visa bill :wink:), and the Mest MkII bests all other I have in bass quality and balance while equalling the others in quantity. While I'd stop short of saying it's twice as good as the Monarch, it's better enough in every way that I think it was worth twice the price. I hope you enjoy them as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #3,730 of 7,306
Order Placed for Mest mk2 via Musikteck. Should get them by end of next week.

Hopefully wont be too bass shy.
Nothing about my Mk2 has been bass shy especially with DX312, DX312 + C9 and nothing but well controlled bass not bloated with clarity, definition and sub-bass rumble especially with burning in the the new 3MAX - currently listening to Hudson Mohawke "Overnight" and SBTRK "Trials of the Past" with very punchy bass.

Stock PWA M2 copper cable is a great start, but after upgrading to Eletech Socrates - couldn't be more content with this setup.

IMG_2514.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #3,731 of 7,306
Oops fat fingered

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #3,732 of 7,306
I find them to have strong, fast and textured bass response, with especially well-rendered sub-bass.

Nothing about my Mk2 has been bass shy

Im sure they are not lean. My problem is, i am coming from Legend X haha.
Although i dont expect or need Mest bass to be at level LX, it has to have solid presence in relation to the rest of the signature.
Another thing is that ie900 has something fantastic to offer in bass department. The quality is just excelent.
So Mest has to really impress me now.

Btw Musicteck are not slacking. My order is ready to be picked up. Though not sure DHL collect shipments on sundays.
Anyways not far off...

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #3,733 of 7,306
Although i dont expect or need Mest bass to be at level LX, it has to have solid presence in relation to the rest of the signature.
Another thing is that ie900 has something fantastic to offer in bass department. The quality is just excelent.

Btw Musicteck are not slacking. My order is ready to be picked up. Though not sure DHL collect shipments on sundays.
Anyways not far off...
How is the soundstage on the ie900? I would imagine the MK2 to be leaps and bounds above the ie900 in soundstage dimension and imaging.

Aug 21, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #3,734 of 7,306

Anyways not far off...
I would call the sound signature of MEST mkii very "balanced". It is certainly not lacking in bass presence, slam, or detail, but the bass doesn't overpower the rest of the sound either.

And yeah, iirc my MEST showed up 2 days after I placed my order. Musictek gets stuff done. :wink:

How is the soundstage on the ie900? I would imagine the MK2 to be leaps and bounds above the ie900 in soundstage dimension and imaging.
I haven't heard the ie900 personally, but my understanding is that the ie900 wins in the bass department while MEST wins in soundstage & imaging.

Aug 21, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #3,735 of 7,306
How is the soundstage on the ie900?
Its not bad actually. It mops the floor with something like CA Atlas. But of course multidrives will fare better.

I haven't heard the ie900 personally, but my understanding is that the ie900 wins in the bass department while MEST wins in soundstage & imaging.
Im pretty sure, that is what it is.

Now deciding factor will be, whether Mest soundstage is as good jaw dropping as ie900s bass.
One other thing senns have is its form factor. They just dissapear in ear. Quite important for me as i commute and move about a lot.

Anyways we will see next week

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back