Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jun 10, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #3,436 of 7,306
I just ordered a Dunu Blanche on Hifigo, Furutech cable, rhodium plated and interchangeable jacks.

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #3,437 of 7,306
$17 cable, $4 eartips, $120 source,
is enough for me to daily drive the Mest Mk2,
maybe I will look for an upgrade later on,

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #3,438 of 7,306
Well, I got my MEST MK2 a week ago direct from UM. I ordered mine with the custom raised QDC connector versus the flush 2-pin connector that comes with the standard MK2. No more risk of bent pins.

I'm treble sensitive. I knew this going in and even made some posts here asking about the brightness of the MEST MK2 because there is no chance for me to test listen before purchase. This was a blind purchase.

I was particularly worried about this region on the MEST MK2 and, well, I was right. As soon as I got my MEST this area was borderline uncomfortable and sharp on numerous tracks:

IMG_20210611_183402.jpg

I used VLC to repeatedly loop some small sections of songs that I felt were just too piercing and used Equalizer APO to adjust the custom 30-band EQ so these sections weren't so piercing.

I then generated a Wavelet Graphic EQ file by hand:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_FwhJNPIqfYXApLT81CG7YqfJAUG-jUq/view?usp=drivesdk

Screenshot_2021-06-11-18-27-31-106_com.pittvandewitt.wavelet.jpg

Now everything seems to be ok. Thankfully the EQ manages to (IMO) remove the piercing highs while still preserving the overall tonality. Most times I can't even hear a difference if the effect is toggled on or off - it only serves to cut away the sharpness during the short moments when it would normally happen.

I'm a bit sad that I have to EQ these expensive IEMs just to make them work for me, but overall I'm happy with the result.

-- Parting Thoughts --

I really miss my Westone W60.

I don't think that ergonomics, size, and shape of IEMs get enough attention.

The W60 kidney bean shape is very small, light, and exceedingly comfortable, so you often forget that you're wearing them and music just seems to pop out of the ether into your head. It's an incredible feeling.

The MEST is a lot bulkier by comparison, and I always notice they're there, especially if I'm in bed or out and about. Not a moment goes by where I *know* that music is coming from *something* in my ear, and that takes away from the listening experience and the feeling of being washed away into the music.

In this way, I'm a little bit regretful that I didn't jump for the Sennheiser IE-900 instead, but perhaps that's still in my future once I'm able to have a test listen to them.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #3,439 of 7,306
In my opinion graphics can help but our ears are the real judges of what we hear.
Having said that today I ordered the Mangird Tea, thanks to the discount on Linsoul... we will see how much they will be behind the Mest.

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #3,440 of 7,306
Well, I got my MEST MK2 a week ago direct from UM. I ordered mine with the custom raised QDC connector versus the flush 2-pin connector that comes with the standard MK2. No more risk of bent pins.

I'm treble sensitive. I knew this going in and even made some posts here asking about the brightness of the MEST MK2 because there is no chance for me to test listen before purchase. This was a blind purchase.

I was particularly worried about this region on the MEST MK2 and, well, I was right. As soon as I got my MEST this area was borderline uncomfortable and sharp on numerous tracks:

IMG_20210611_183402.jpg

I used VLC to repeatedly loop some small sections of songs that I felt were just too piercing and used Equalizer APO to adjust the custom 30-band EQ so these sections weren't so piercing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_FwhJNPIqfYXApLT81CG7YqfJAUG-jUq/view?usp=drivesdk

Now everything seems to be ok. Thankfully the EQ manages to (IMO) remove the piercing highs while still preserving the overall tonality. Most times I can't even hear a difference if the effect is toggled on or off - it only serves to cut away the sharpness during the short moments when it would normally happen.

I'm a bit sad that I have to EQ these expensive IEMs just to make them work for me, but overall I'm happy with the result.

-- Parting Thoughts --

The W60 kidney bean shape is very small, light, and exceedingly comfortable, so you often forget that you're wearing them and music just seems to pop out of the ether into your head. It's an incredible feeling.

The MEST is a lot bulkier by comparison, and I always notice they're there, especially if I'm in bed or out and about. Not a moment goes by where I *know* that music is coming from *something* in my ear, and that takes away from the listening experience and the feeling of being washed away into the music.

In this way, I'm a little bit regretful that I didn't jump for the Sennheiser IE-900 instead, but perhaps that's still in my future once I'm able to have a test listen to them.

you could probably sell the MESTMK IIs and use the funds to buy the IE 900

might take a financial loss, but if you aren’t satisfied then keeping the MK IIs may not be worth it

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #3,442 of 7,306

IMG_20210611_183402.jpg

-- Parting Thoughts --

It's funny how everyone hears things different. The MKII's aren't to me piercing in the least. If fact, I tend to use the HIBY MSEB to add some "coolness" (1 tick) and HF simblance to the sound (1 tick).

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #3,443 of 7,306
Also depends on the day you are having.... if you are tired... everything sounds awful.. If you have have a slight cold or headache it's Game over in the head sound department 😄

Jun 11, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #3,444 of 7,306
MKii's top does calm down after a while. It was almost too much for me at first too. But either I got used to it, or it relaxed a little from burn in/use, and now it works well for me.

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #3,446 of 7,306
MKii's top does calm down after a while. It was almost too much for me at first too. But either I got used to it, or it relaxed a little from burn in/use, and now it works well for me.
How many hours does it take?

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #3,448 of 7,306
How many hours does it take?
I didn’t time it, sorry. I burned in while just listening. But iirc it was about 150 hrs cumulative, 2-3 weeks of on again, off again listening. Could have been brain burn in too? But around that time after getting mkii, I started not minding the highs and thought the extension much more relaxed.

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #3,449 of 7,306
Maybe 5hrs, in my case.
Whoa! Maybe you have a faster learning brain than I do? Lol. In my defense, I was stoned a lot during those sessions.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #3,450 of 7,306
Whoa! Maybe you have a faster learning brain than I do? Lol. In my defense, I was stoned a lot during those sessions.
Hah! Love this honesty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back