Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jun 1, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #3,421 of 7,339
What's the difference between Short and Light Short please?

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #3,422 of 7,339
I did notice the in-your-brain bass was more noticeable... maybe because of how closely the shell sits with the rest of my ears now, allowing dBC to work its magic? Otherwise, it's such a relieve to finally be rid of tip rolling.

That said, I had to send mine back for a refit... another month without them Zzz...
I see. So the difference is in the bass (custom vs universal bass), while the rest of the frequency are identical?

I'm still on my way of saving up for these. But unlike the rest of the world, I'll go custom and get it reshelled to universal if the custom sound don't work for me.

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #3,423 of 7,339
I see. So the difference is in the bass (custom vs universal bass), while the rest of the frequency are identical?

I'm still on my way of saving up for these. But unlike the rest of the world, I'll go custom and get it reshelled to universal if the custom sound don't work for me.
Does UM reshell custom to universal though? I tried that with a couple brands and they wouldn't change it due to custom and universal versions being designed differently

Jun 1, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #3,424 of 7,339
What's the difference between Short and Light Short please?
Simply the Light are made of a softer material. They can be more comfortable, they can lose some punch in the bass.

Jun 2, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #3,426 of 7,339
I also had to send mine back for a refit, just the left ear though. I was able to break the seal while singing ;( fortunately, I was able to get another impression taken quickly. Honestly, I probably would have been okay with the fit, it did take some effort to break the seal but, when you pay close to 2K for a set of IEM's I think perfection can be obtained. ... After all, my right ear fit is perfect. MuscTeck has been a fantastic company to work with, without a doubt some of the best customer service I've come across.
My left pinna was in too much pain, and right one breaks seal when I move my jaw or wriggle my ear.. My guy didn’t take another impression though, just took my feedback to UM.. hopefully they get it right..

Exactly my thoughts.. for $2k I better get a comfortable fit that I can wear the entire day.. else I would have stuck with the universals which actually fit me very well 😂

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #3,429 of 7,339
Received MEST mkii about a week ago, and I just have to say I am very happy I did not discover these before I ventured into the world of over-ear headphones or I probably never would have made it past IEMs. They're just that good. I'm amazed by the prospect of being able to have sound this good with me everywhere I go. The only down side is that I'm finding that MEST is resolving enough to show the shortcomings of my dongle-dac (compared to my obviously better desktop chain) in a way that my previous IEMs just weren't, and I'm not yet ready to wrap my head around carrying a dedicated DAP or amp around with me. Still, that your IEMs have room to grow with better amplification is a great problem to have.

Out of curiosity, how much does UM charge for universal to custom conversion? I'm not ready to make any rash decisions this early, but it would be good to know for future consideration.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #3,430 of 7,339
I'm looking for a DAP to MEST Mk2 with fast deep bas, clean and crisp mid and highs? Any recomandations?

To my taste is extremely good companion is iBasso DX220MAX.
Now the iBasso DX220 Max is nowhere to be found if not used because of a limited number... so I recommend the excellent DX300.
Incredible price/performance ratio.

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #3,431 of 7,339
Now the iBasso DX220 Max is nowhere to be found if not used because of a limited number... so I recommend the excellent DX300.
Incredible price/performance ratio.
I have just published my review of the MEST Mk II (link to follow) and I did listen with both the DX220MAX and the DX300 (with stock AMP 11).
I found the DX220MAX to have a great synergy with the MEST Mk II, with the Sony WM1Z (featuring MrWalkman's custom 'Midnight Plus' FW) my other main choice.

The DX300 - for my personal tastes - was somewhere in between those two in terms of the overall sound signature, and I didn't feel a great synergy.
It certainly wasn't a bad combination and was still a high-class set up; I just didn't get the 'wow' factor that I did with the other 2 DAPs.

However, I've just received the new AMP 12 for the DX300, and will be burning that in and then reviewing it.
I have a suspicion that it will bring about a much better synergy (again, for my tastes at least) between the DX300 and the MEST Mk II :)

Jun 10, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #3,433 of 7,339
Any suggestion for better cable?

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #3,435 of 7,339
I think Mest mk2 can scale up, i tried different cable and got improvements

Users who are viewing this thread

Back