Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
May 28, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #3,391 of 7,306
Makes sense. I've been "following" your recent journey with interest. I listen to probably 40% electronic (ambient, house, trance, dub-tech), 40% instrumental jazz (from bop to modern/contemporary) and remaining 20% spread across progressive rock and a touch of alternative and pop. Been hanging around to see how the MEST long'ish term build quality stands up (I'm a bit dubious about flat 2-pin in general, and a couple reports of those decorative metal vent surrounds falling off didn't impress, YMMV with stuff like that of course).

MEST is really incredible when it comes to most electronic and in some cases I have now heard albums in a way I've never before. Take the below (which is more ambient/modern classical) from Evan Bartholomew (Bluetech) - the vast soundstage, width and depth and the imaging for the various components are just stunning - literally puts shivers through me. On the flip, if I listen to an artist such as Beck, the imaging and soundstage to me feels wrong - I've tried a few times now and just doesn't sit well... move to the IE900 though and absolutely perfect.

In terms of a journey, it is such an interesting process to become familiar with the signatures and overall capabilities of various IEMs and the pros and cons of each really do become more apparent. So far so good for me with the connections, I am conscious though when changing tips to be careful not to hold on to the connections, I'd say that could be risky!

May 28, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #3,392 of 7,306
MEST is really incredible when it comes to most electronic and in some cases I have now heard albums in a way I've never before. Take the below (which is more ambient/modern classical) from Evan Bartholomew (Bluetech) - the vast soundstage, width and depth and the imaging for the various components are just stunning - literally puts shivers through me. On the flip, if I listen to an artist such as Beck, the imaging and soundstage to me feels wrong - I've tried a few times now and just doesn't sit well... move to the IE900 though and absolutely perfect.

In terms of a journey, it is such an interesting process to become familiar with the signatures and overall capabilities of various IEMs and the pros and cons of each really do become more apparent. So far so good for me with the connections, I am conscious though when changing tips to be careful not to hold on to the connections, I'd say that could be risky!

I'd honestly have picked up the MESTs by now if I didn't get the Odins - unfortuinately the Odins are singularly the most incredible listening experience I've had with electronic music. I haven't heard that album in absolute ages - i think the Odins and W2 will be on the order in a bit!

May 28, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #3,393 of 7,306
I'd honestly have picked up the MESTs by now if I didn't get the Odins - unfortuinately the Odins are singularly the most incredible listening experience I've had with electronic music. I haven't heard that album in absolute ages - i think the Odins and W2 will be on the order in a bit!

I'm looking forward to hearing another multi-driver high-end IEM at some point - MEST is my only reference point in that regard!

I was just running the MEST via the W2 for about 2 hours but moved to the 1A, I definitely prefer the 1A to the W2, really noticed when I switched... much better pairing.

May 28, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #3,394 of 7,306
May 28, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #3,395 of 7,306
Re: MMCX, I can honestly say I've never had issues with such, and I am a former (for 6+ years) Sony XBA-Z5 owner. Admittedly, I was very careful about cable swapping (very minimal). New owner still loves the set he bought from me last summer, as far as I know with continued zero issues. It's so anecdotal, barely worth mentioning, I know, hahaha. I have also snapped 2-pin connectors before, so it mos def is about individual experience. FWIW, I have trust for how Sennheiser implemented MMCX for the IE900; in the very least, they gave it thought and engineering.

May 28, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #3,396 of 7,306
I'm looking forward to hearing another multi-driver high-end IEM at some point - MEST is my only reference point in that regard!

I was just running the MEST via the W2 for about 2 hours but moved to the 1A, I definitely prefer the 1A to the W2, really noticed when I switched... much better pairing.
it depends on my mood - the Z1R and Odins works well with both - the 1A with midnight classic offers a very different sound and is probably better. But it’s tight!

Nah the N3s barely get a look in! When I’m more mobile, then they will. My TOTL-ers ain’t leaving the house!

May 28, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #3,397 of 7,306
FWIW, I have trust for how Sennheiser implemented MMCX for the IE900; in the very least, they gave it thought and engineering.

Its actually really interesting to read about the engineering that went into the IE900, it strikes me as incredibly innovative, even though I don't understand it all (Helmholtz Resonators) - but I have the finished item and the mind boggles when you hold them and feel how light and small they are, yet produce such incredible sound.

https://en-ie.sennheiser.com/ie-900

May 28, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #3,398 of 7,306
it depends on my mood - the Z1R and Odins works well with both - the 1A with midnight classic offers a very different sound and is probably better. But it’s tight!

Nah the N3s barely get a look in! When I’m more mobile, then they will. My TOTL-ers ain’t leaving the house!

I'm on midnight classic too, seems the best for me so far but still to experiment with others.

Likewise with my N3, gathering dust now... well the case is. ZEN are my typical out and about set but the IE900 have taken the spot recently but I'll likely switch back.

May 29, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #3,399 of 7,306
Makes sense. I've been "following" your recent journey with interest. I listen to probably 40% electronic (ambient, house, trance, dub-tech), 40% instrumental jazz (from bop to modern/contemporary) and remaining 20% spread across progressive rock and a touch of alternative and pop. Been hanging around to see how the MEST long'ish term build quality stands up (I'm a bit dubious about flat 2-pin in general, and a couple reports of those decorative metal vent surrounds falling off didn't impress, YMMV with stuff like that of course).
I ordered the MEST MKII directly from Unique Melody in China and was adamant with them that I did not want the flush two-pin socket as numerous people with similar sockets on other IEMs (and my own experiences) have told me they get bent pins on the cable and expanded pin holes on the shell, which IMO is completely unacceptable for a kilobuck IEM. Once the pin holes on the IEM itself are expanded, no 2-pin connectors will be able to tightly fit into the IEM anymore.

They agreed to make me a MEST MK2 using the old MK1 raised QDC-like connector. No additional cost, only 10 extra working days.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #3,401 of 7,306
Trying these BGVP W01 tips on the MEST MKII tonight, impressive and very cheap on AliExpress.

20210529_220418.jpg

May 31, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #3,405 of 7,306
I plugged HanSound Nyx to Mest Mk2 and pairs so good with Shanling M8.
I prefer it over PWA M2 stock cable, voices, mids and highs are more cohesive and has a better clarity/liquidity.
Very impressed!!!

00AFF774-93D8-4170-92F4-86EBED1905AD.jpeg
083DBA8E-B802-4724-BC9B-C2C642D0F0B9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back