Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Mar 30, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #2,326 of 7,306
Great and very informative comparisons. Really appreciate for it.
I thought that MEST would be the most treble high IEM when compared to Monarch and RSV, contrast to your comment that they are tamed on that.
Do you think that is MK2's characteristics or you feel treble on MEST is in general less prominent than Monarch?
I am seriously debating between RSV, Moondrop S8 and Monarch and treble and airiness is my preferred characters.
MEST MKii to me is Mild U + M (haha UM!) shape, with certain little twists to make mid-range closer and appealing, so when it compares to very neutral Monarch the in the context of air/transparency (we need to exclude, holographic additions of Mest), Monarch sounds brighter and a tad more resolving. VS RSV the tonal balance is about the same to me except 8k, which Monarch express more sparkles which unfortunately did not contribute too much into diffusion field/sound stage because RSV got that right. For S8 there is a 6BA test pilot model that seemingly may fill up either successor or S8 or Blessing 2 for Moondrop line-up (release date unknown), so you may also take that into considerations.
Lastly, I will need to address that MEST mkii's treble is very delicate, of which most of the other companies would just like to present "hey hey hey!! THIS IS EST!!! SOUNDS FANTASTIC RIGHT?" but for this one, it's more of "oh hey we got some good potentials, there you go! enjoy as-is"

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #2,327 of 7,306
After a good weekend with comparisons of my favorite 4 IEMS here is comparative charts: Will add commentary later on, currently busy with my tax return..

Note: Value to Price is set as 1.00 as par value for my personal virtue ($1,500 and 100/100 gets 1.00)

MEST Mkii vs Blessing 2
[Reserved]

MEST Mkii vs Softears RSV
[Reserved]

MEST Mkii vs ThieAudio Monarch(recabled to LSC08 due to comfort and bass-quantity aronud 200hz )
[Reserved]
Very impressive analysis. Very well done. It's a bit too much micro analysis for me though. I am analytical by nature, but at the end of the day I just want to enjoy the music. So, my brain needs to grab onto the top few things a particular IEM can do so that I know its best use case. We listen to music holistically, not by micro detail. I'm probably not going to listen to an IEM because it is S+ rated in upper mids. I am going to listen to one because it is the best for female vocals.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #2,328 of 7,306
Very impressive analysis. Very well done. It's a bit too much micro analysis for me though. I am analytical by nature, but at the end of the day I just want to enjoy the music. So, my brain needs to grab onto the top few things a particular IEM can do so that I know its best use case. We listen to music holistically, not by micro detail. I'm probably not going to listen to an IEM because it is S+ rated in upper mids. I am going to listen to one because it is the best for female vocals.
Haha right, for macro part, I added catch phrases and raison detre, and your input makes sense, I may add the overall commentary on top of sub details 👍

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #2,329 of 7,306
Haha right, for macro part, I added catch phrases and raison detre, and your input makes sense, I may add the overall commentary on top of sub details 👍
I like what you did. In order to get an accurate summary, you need to drill down like you did. You drill down and come up for air and give the summary. Then, you have credibility. It is very impressive detail. We also need to note that your top 3 IEMs were only a few points from each other. So, they are essentially equal. When I hear things, my subjective preference changes by more than 3-5% on a given day and is highly influenced by what I've been listening to just prior to it. It's like being outside on a bright day. When you come inside, everything looks dark.

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #2,330 of 7,306
UM Mest MKii - A Steady Step Up

199AB9E5-4C30-472A-AE11-48AA433DBE70.jpeg

Here comes my impressions of the Mest MKii and a comparison with the Mest OG. In the above pic, OG is the one with blue chips in the shell and silver-colored cable. MKii is the one with gold chips and black-colored cable. Like my other review, let me get my conclusion out first.

The Mest MKii is a steady step up from the OG. Put it simply, it addresses a couple of the biggest complaints I have for the OG, which are:
  • The number one complaint I had with OG was the fit. It was too big for my ear. Most of the time I need to push it in to get an OK fit, but after hours' long of listening it can still get a bit shaky and I need to readjust the position of it. I tried 5 different kinds of tips and none of them fully solve this issue. MKii is noticeably smaller in size and with a modified form of the shell which achieves a much better fit to my ears. Now, MKii fits my ears like a CIEM. I will share some side-by-side pics below.
  • The recessed mids and the edges/harshness in sound I can hear from time to time. That was another big complaint from me as I listen to vocals a lot. I strongly suspect that this is due to my poor fit with OG. With MKii, the recessed mids thing gets significantly improved. The harshness in sound is somewhat improved, but I find that the degree of improvement depends on the source you pair with it.
Mest MKii also comes with a better set of accessories. The cable is now made by PW Audio and is a very nice copper cable. I find it to be more premium and comfortable to have on compared to the cable in OG. MKii also comes with a set of AZLA ear tips which are incredible. In fact, on OG I ended up using the AZLA tips as it gives me the best fit, so I am pleasantly surprised that MKii comes with this as standard in the package.

And, what are the things that MKii keeps from OG? Basically, MKii preserves the strength of OG very well.
  • The excellent sound stage. Just incredible.
  • A neutral tuning with decent clarity and imaging. The layering and separation between bass, mids, and treble are also quite well-achieved, although some people may think that there is a slight lack of coherence among them. I find the lack of coherence to be less in MKii than in OG. Again, this could be due to the improved fit I get.
My quick suggestion for people who had the OG and are curious about MKii:
  • If you are an OG owner and have fit issues, then of course I will recommend moving to the MKii, especially if you are into vocals. The improvement is just so obvious to me.
  • If you get a good fit already or if you have a customed version, I don't think you will need to upgrade. For OG, I have seen from several reviewers that the sound is supposed to be smooth if you find the right tips and have the right fit. Hence, if you do not have any real complaints about it, especially about the recessed mids and edges in sound, and you find the OG to be comfortable in long listening sessions, then I think the benefit of upgrading is small. The benefit could be there, but I doubt it will justify the cost of roughly $600 (the difference between buying a new MKii and what you get from selling the OG).
  • If you are debating between OG and MKii - MKii is a safe choice to go as it is able to preserve most of the good stuff in OG and comes with an improved fit.

Now, let me dive into and give more details about the FIT and sound signature of Mest MKii. Most of the listening is done with LP's new dongle W2. The test is done with 3.5mm termination for both OG and MKii. A DDHifi 2.5 to 3.5 adapter is used with MKii.

The Fit Comparison between OG and MKii

I think it is most direct for me to use side-by-side pics to demonstrate the size comparisons between OG and MKii. Overall, MKii is smaller. Its shell has more curvatures that should work with your ears better. I also find it to be slightly lighter when wearing it for a long time, but this could be due to the improved fit. The left is MKii and the right is OG.

48B6D874-721C-4110-B4E0-8C2ABA52580F.jpeg
657559D6-204B-4E71-B201-3C56D64C357D.jpegDA0A389C-2451-4996-9541-CC806074788A.jpeg1D59708F-6714-4CA4-B0AD-C60919E16CC1.jpeg7C42D73A-F9D1-4848-A2FE-CE781C550460.jpeg
The Sound Signature of MEST MKii

This section is mostly for the people who are new to Mest. Welcome and I think you are in for a treat.

Mest's biggest strength is its sound stage, which is (at least partially) enabled by its innovative bone-conductor driver. I would describe the sound stage of Mest as wide, deep, and real. From time to time I do not feel that I am listening to an IEM - everything feels so real around me. This is really an experience different from any other IEMs I have tried, except for the Traillii. The benefit of this incredible sound stage is that the music feels real to the listener. You can feel that you are really there, on the performing stage or in the recording room, listening to the artist performing.

Because of the depth Mest is able to achieve in the sound stage, it creates the "room" for Mest to achieve good separation and clarity in the sound. Things are rarely "compressed" together and I rarely feel the sound to be muddled. The imaging you get is also quite good.

Sound Comparison between Mest OG and Mest MKii

Overall, I would say both Mest OG and MKii have a neutral sound signature.

For OG, it has good bass and good treble extensions, but I have found its mids to be quite recessed. This has created difficulties for me to appreciate the emotion the singer tries to deliver, and I don't feel enough of the "impact" from the music. Most of my listening is on female vocals, so this troubles me a lot. In some sense, this is similar to the problem I had with the Sony IER-Z1R, which has excellent soundstage and clarity of music, but the recessed mids made me move away from it.

For MKii, I have found the mids to be significantly better to my ears. It is more forward but not too intimate. Kind of at the perfect balanced position to me. Because of this, the imaging of the mids improved quite a lot for me. Overall, with MKii, I can say that the bass, mids, and treble achieves a good balance.

Regarding the coherence between bass, mids, and treble. In OG I have found them to be pretty "separated". Some people like this and some people don't. In MKii, I have found the coherence among them improves quite a lot, and this is achieved without suppressing them together.

It is also worth noting that I have found both OG and MKii to be quite revealing of the signature of the source, and MKii is the more revealing one of the two.

The Potential of Mest MKii

As I have hinted above, the coherence of Mest MKii can be improved by pairing it with the right source. Because this is a quick impression, I have only been able to do my assessment mostly based on LP's new dongle W2. I managed to spend some time to test its pairing with SP2000 and my "ultimate" IEM machine Cayin N6ii + C9. What I can say is Mest scales up BIG when you find a good source to pair it with. When using Cayin N6ii + C9, I get an incredible experience of the imaging and presence of the music. Everything is vivid and soooo real! I have no more complaints about the harshness of the sound. The sound stage is even better and more extended. WOW. This is possibly the best IEM experience I have had and competes with my experience with Traillii - too bad that I longer have the little bird for a side-by-side comparison. (A side note: Cayin and UM are from the same city and their employees have a very good relationship, so I suspect UM has done quite some tuning test with Cayin's products).

OK let me calm down a bit and stop raving about this pairing. In the coming days, I will spend more time trying out Mest MKii with different sources, including Lotoo S1, Cayin N6ii (E02), SP2000, and of course the N6ii +C9 stack. My initial impression across these pairings is that Mest is quite revealing for the signature of the source. As a result, its performance scales with the source, and it opens up the possibility for you to use an appropriate source to achieve an "optimal" sound to your ears.

Verdict and The Value of Mest

I think Mest is easily my most recommended IEM at the price range of $1000-2000. It can certainly be the BEST choice for a lot of people. I have owned or tried many IEMs that are more expensive than $2000 (check out my signature lol). Now they are all gone and Mest is the one I am keeping as I find it to be of incredible value and also because I have enjoyed its incredible sound stage so much. Although I have had some complaints about the fit of OG, this still does not stop me from keeping it as my daily driver. So, when MKii is announced, I am incredibly excited to get one and I am happy to report that UM listens and is able to deliver an improved version of the Mest that will be a better fit for a group of users. Incredible value from the Mest again and nice job UM!

Very helpful to see the pictures from all angles and all the write up!! Very nice!!

I don't know if you have tried the MEST JP before. Slightly shorter but larger diameter nozzle and the overall design seem closer to MEST JP/HK. MEST JP was a no-go for me in terms of fit, so I may have to stick to OG. Did you feel that OG is a deeper insertion shape than Mk2 if you had the same tips on it?

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #2,331 of 7,306
Very helpful to see the pictures from all angles and all the write up!! Very nice!!

I don't know if you have tried the MEST JP before. Slightly shorter but larger diameter nozzle and the overall design seem closer to MEST JP/HK. MEST JP was a no-go for me in terms of fit, so I may have to stick to OG. Did you feel that OG is a deeper insertion shape than Mk2 if you had the same tips on it?
I have not tried the JP version, but I have heard that it has a shorted nozzle which helps quite a lot with the fit, for some people at least. My sense is UM probably explores and learns quite a bit from the OG JP version and they incorporate that into MKii.

For the OG I own (international version), I don't feel the insertion is too deep because I never got to push it all the way into my ears, although I tried to. I think OG has a bigger shell as well. I got a deeper insertion with MK2 but nothing uncomfortable from that.

Mar 30, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #2,332 of 7,306
I have not tried the JP version, but I have heard that it has a shorted nozzle which helps quite a lot with the fit, for some people at least. My sense is UM probably explores and learns quite a bit from the OG JP version and they incorporate that into MKii.

For the OG I own (international version), I don't feel the insertion is too deep because I never got to push it all the way into my ears, although I tried to. I think OG has a bigger shell as well. I got a deeper insertion with MK2 but nothing uncomfortable from that.

Good info thanks! :thumbsup:

Mar 30, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #2,333 of 7,306
I'm really curious and excited to hear how these compare to my IER-M9 which I absolutely love - appreciate totally different in terms of all being all BA versus tribrid. Currently if I could only hold on to one IEM out of my small collection, it would without doubt be the M9. I suspect the MEST will be more fun/exciting, I'll find out hopefully in the next week or so when new stock ships.
I've had my OG MEST for about a month, and they still manage to surprise me whenever I listen to them, which is A LOT. Someone in another thread--maybe this one?--complained that their new IEMs were robbing them of sleep, and now I understand. Sure, I know that this hobby (like any other) can sometimes be driven by hyperbole, FOMO, and general hedonic-treadmill chasing, but still: I genuinely love these, and wouldn't trade them for anything. So, I have no doubt you'll get a similar (or better) "fun/exciting" experience with your Mk2s!

Although, on the other hand, you've got me even more curious about the IEM-M9...

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #2,334 of 7,306
I've had my OG MEST for about a month, and they still manage to surprise me whenever I listen to them, which is A LOT. Someone in another thread--maybe this one?--complained that their new IEMs were robbing them of sleep, and now I understand. Sure, I know that this hobby (like any other) can sometimes be driven by hyperbole, FOMO, and general hedonic-treadmill chasing, but still: I genuinely love these, and wouldn't trade them for anything. So, I have no doubt you'll get a similar (or better) "fun/exciting" experience with your Mk2s!

Although, on the other hand, you've got me even more curious about the IEM-M9...
Hedonic-treadmill, interesting choice.
The world falls apart around you but does not matter you have your tunes.

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #2,336 of 7,306
Sure, I know that this hobby (like any other) can sometimes be driven by hyperbole, FOMO, and general hedonic-treadmill chasing, but still: I genuinely love these, and wouldn't trade them for anything.

This. So much this.
With the InEar Prophiles, I was fine for quite a while. New hypes would come and go. I'd check what was being said about them and was content that I still had the best IEM for my taste and my budget.
As HBB started to talk up the Mest, followed by Michael Bruce (Bryce? Bruce, right?) and a few others I had the distinct impression that THIS was going to be the one that made me break my "no more IEM's for me, I've found THE ONE" pledge. But the FOMO is real, so I didn't get too obsessed. Just wanted to try them out, just in case.
And they totally were the ones to make me break my pledge and I'd do it again in an instant, and again, I am off the market for the foreseeable future. Stunners.

Mar 31, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #2,337 of 7,306

Funny you say about sleep, I woke earlier than necessary but decided a good opportunity to pop in my M9s for a morning listen*... exquisite is a good word to describe their sound - my other IEMs from DUNU & my Sony XBA-N3 are very enjoyable but the M9 have really been my proper introduction to what a TOTL IEM can do and they consistently amaze me, can't wait to soon experience another TOTL in the shape of MEST - I'm not expecting nor looking for them to improve on the M9 in anyway, just to offer another type of TOTL experience.

*I love early listening before I've heard or done anything else, it feels like higher sensitivity to music when senses only awake...

Mar 31, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #2,338 of 7,306
Looks like I'll be trying them soon, always a nice email to find in my inbox!

Screenshot_20210331-075537_Gmail.jpg

Mar 31, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #2,339 of 7,306
Mar 31, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #2,340 of 7,306
How is yours best dap or source+amp with Mest Mk2?

I love it with Shanling M8 but I’d try IBasso DX300...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back