Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Mar 13, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #1,951 of 7,306
Talk to Andrew from Musicteck. He will make it easy for you :wink:

Agreed, I ordered the DUNU SA6 and arrived to me here in Dublin, Ireland in 3 days - excellent service.

Mar 13, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #1,952 of 7,306
Agreed, I ordered the DUNU SA6 and arrived to me here in Dublin, Ireland in 3 days - excellent service.
What happened with import charges etc?

Mar 13, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #1,953 of 7,306
Just bought myself those Mkii MEST :) Hopefully I can get some good impressions in the next couple weeks. I also hope that the fit is improved so that they don't slide out of my ears so easily.

Mar 13, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #1,954 of 7,306
What happened with import charges etc?

DHL contacted me for payment on the day of delivery, I got a text and an email. Best to reach out to Musicteck to discuss the likely value etc.

Mar 13, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #1,955 of 7,306
Excited about these! I had the chance to audition the OG MEST but with a few other purchases and covid doing its thing to my biz I had to give them a miss. I did pick up the 3DT and Its pretty remarkable for a sub$500 Universal. These MKii are definitely going in the cart. I love innovation coming out of UM and cant wait to hear these in my ears!

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #1,957 of 7,306
I don't know about the audio business, but in other industries, selected dealers are required to sign NDA's.

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #1,959 of 7,306
A new one doesnt mean the old one goes from really really good to all of the sudden bad. It's a great IEM!

New also doesnt mean it's better either, though I do hope it is, but there's very little I'd like updated from the original to be honest. It's a very very good IEM in both univ and custom.

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #1,960 of 7,306
Oh man, if you guys like how the OG MEST sounds like then you should be happy with it.

The MKII is a different flavour. Addressing some of the criticisms of the OG from the Western Market. If you like the OG’s sound that you even got the customs done. Idk why you’d be pissed at the new MKII when it’s clearly gonna sound different? Not necessarily better but different. It’s clearly targeting those that wanted a different sound from the OG.

I’ve mentioned it before, it’s like another region specific flavour to the MEST OG. Along with the JP and HK renditions.

So again, if you don’t have a problem with the OG MEST. Then this new version shouldn’t be even in your radar unless you found the MEST lacking in the departments that UM made changes to. I don’t even think UM is gonna make a custom version of this. Just like with the JP and HK variants it’ll just stay as a universal. So the custom is still gonna be a different beast overall.

Mar 14, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #1,961 of 7,306
https://shop.musicteck.com/collecti...ts/um-custom-mest-mkii?variant=39279350022206

Just going off the graph. The sound tuning don't seem to be all that different. I am certainly not gonna pony up another $1500 for slight sub bass increase and a bit less treble. If anything the newer BC drivers are intriguing and I take it that will bring the biggest change in how the sound is perceived.

It is common for manufacturers to remake and better what is a popular item for them so this was not unexpected. No different than the yearly car model refresh. Just because a new shiny model comes out don't make what you have obsolete. I can certainly relate to folks that just got the MEST however. If you like what you got I wouldn't stress so much. I am sure there will be a MEST MK3 and maybe another off shoot with more BC drivers in them in the future. Gotta milk it for what it is.

Don't make what the MEST does for your sound enjoyment any worse. What is new now will be obsolete in a years time and that goes for just about any IEM really. Not too many IEMs I can recall that actually has any real staying power, minus Sony IEMs, as there will always be newer revisions and more advances in our hobby. If you accept that for what it is. No stress folks just enjoy what you got.

Mar 14, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #1,962 of 7,306
6 months, or maybe less, there will be a lot of complains about a loose connector,
my old custom iems have a flat 2 pin connector, it's been 6 years already and still works fine. Last 2 years i've been switching cables to bluetooth and vice versa constantly as well. Maybe i'm lucky? heh

EDIT : got them in 2012 actually, wow 9 years already. Time sure flies faster than I thought.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #1,964 of 7,306
Oh man, if you guys like how the OG MEST sounds like then you should be happy with it.

The MKII is a different flavour. Addressing some of the criticisms of the OG from the Western Market. If you like the OG’s sound that you even got the customs done. Idk why you’d be pissed at the new MKII when it’s clearly gonna sound different? Not necessarily better but different. It’s clearly targeting those that wanted a different sound from the OG.

I’ve mentioned it before, it’s like another region specific flavour to the MEST OG. Along with the JP and HK renditions.

So again, if you don’t have a problem with the OG MEST. Then this new version shouldn’t be even in your radar unless you found the MEST lacking in the departments that UM made changes to. I don’t even think UM is gonna make a custom version of this. Just like with the JP and HK variants it’ll just stay as a universal. So the custom is still gonna be a different beast overall.
Exactly! I was just listening to my OG MEST, and have no issues with it at all. They also fit me fine, so no worries.

If you just purchased the CIEM OG MEST, than many of the changes to the Mk.II are irrelevant for you, b/c much of what was addressed was the fit of the UIEM.

Of note, the CIEM version of the Mk.II is already available.

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #1,965 of 7,306
Never got on board the OG MEST due to concern about BC performance in the universal / fit issues. Popped my order in for the Mkii - very excited!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back