Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jan 15, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #1,561 of 7,306
That's the problem with regular CIEM 0.78 2pin. You only have the two pins holding the IEM without any mechanical support. A little tug in the wrong direction can break the pins and leave the pins inside the socket making the MEST unusable. I do that too but only under my controlled environment only to test certain cables. For proper mechanical support, you need the QDC style 2pin.
Gotcha. I'm learning. Do I have to worry about polarity?

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #1,562 of 7,306
Hi all. By page 54 of this thread I was losing the will to live, so I've skipped to the end to ask whether there's a UK or EU dealer for these yet? Cheers!

Hey @pedalhead , long time no see, I'm loving my MEST, they are a week old, combined with PW No. 10, and amp 9 (tube) on my DX220, it's a little slice of Heaven. Musictech ships to Europe, and their service is exceptional.

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #1,564 of 7,306
Gotcha. I'm learning. Do I have to worry about polarity?
Nope. The MEST is technically reverse polarity of standard “qdc” sockets (they are the same polarity as standard 2 pin sockets), but as long as you connect the R and L wires the same way, you’re good to go. I’m using a standard “qdc” cable with my MEST w/o problem.

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #1,565 of 7,306
Thanks chaps, that definitely puts my mind at ease for a purchase this big. Customs bill must hurt though.
How would you compare the NO. 10 to the stock cable?

It adds a lot of body, and brings out the midrange, with a slight boost in bass, and maintains the extended treble with just a little sweetness.

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #1,567 of 7,306
It adds a lot of body, and brings out the midrange, with a slight boost in bass, and maintains the extended treble with just a little sweetness.

Good to see you here. I remember we frequented early days of Focal Clear thread. I haven’t tried in a while but I thought MEST was sensitive enough to pick up hiss from amp 9... it probably helps to bring some weight to the notes.

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #1,568 of 7,306
Thanks! I've got the NO. 10, and its 2pin...need to give it a try 😼
Good to see you here. I remember we frequented early days of Focal Clear thread. I haven’t tried in a while but I thought MEST was sensitive enough to pick up hiss from amp 9... it probably helps to bring some weight to the notes.

Good to see you as well, I was out for a bit due to health issues, but I'm back now, and really getting in to in-ears. I'm amazed how far they've advanced!

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #1,569 of 7,306
Hey @pedalhead , long time no see, I'm loving my MEST, they are a week old, combined with PW No. 10, and amp 9 (tube) on my DX220, it's a little slice of Heaven. Musictech ships to Europe, and their service is exceptional.

Wotcha, yep I've been away from the forum for quite a while, just enjoying my desktop setup. Going down into the abyss of portable research now though :). Thanks for the vote of confidence in the MEST and Musictech, very helpful. Cheers!

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #1,572 of 7,306
I remain somewhat confused by cable connector types. In everyone's opinion, is it "best" to used angled/QDC-style connectors with the way the connector of the MEST is constructed? Should we look for connectors that slide over the MEST scokets a certain way? Hope I'm making sense.

Jan 16, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #1,573 of 7,306
I remain somewhat confused by cable connector types. In everyone's opinion, is it "best" to used angled/QDC-style connectors with the way the connector of the MEST is constructed? Should we look for connectors that slide over the MEST scokets a certain way? Hope I'm making sense.
The most secure connection is a “qdc” style connector that covers the socket. qdc plugs are always angled though, and I prefer the plug to stick straight out, to provide enough room to clear your ear before looping back.

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #1,574 of 7,306
Hey all, my MEST review was just published here:

https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/unique-melody-mest-review-wonky-good-fun

Hope you'll enjoy the read as much as I enjoyed getting to finally listen to these guys :)

IMG_4167.JPG

Jan 17, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #1,575 of 7,306

Users who are viewing this thread

Back