Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Sep 4, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #511 of 7,365
I'm having impressions done next week, Tuesday (through the local JH Audio's preferred audiologist, so should be top-notch), and then ordering the custom MEST's from Music Tech. Anyone who's done the same here, who can give me an idea of turn-around time, from scans delivered to product received?
Andrew @MusicTeck says 3 weeks...)

Sep 4, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #513 of 7,365
I'm having impressions done next week, Tuesday (through the local JH Audio's preferred audiologist, so should be top-notch), and then ordering the custom MEST's from Music Tech. Anyone who's done the same here, who can give me an idea of turn-around time, from scans delivered to product received?
You’re able to get digital ”ear molds”? I’ve been wanting to for a while.

Sep 4, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #514 of 7,365
You’re able to get digital ”ear molds”? I’ve been wanting to for a while.

I'll try to remember and post more about the experience later next week, but Music Tek, when I asked them about the ordering process, indicated that 3D scans (.STL files) are often made of the molds themselves, and that they recommended sending these (I reckon instead of shipping the actual molds). My audiologist seemed to account this standard procedure when I inquired about it. I'm largely inferring this, then, but I expect to have molds made of my ears manually, and then to have those molds scanned and made deliverable to UM by way of Music Tek.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #515 of 7,365
I'll try to remember and post more about the experience later next week, but Music Tek, when I asked them about the ordering process, indicated that 3D scans (.STL files) are often made of the molds themselves, and that they recommended sending these (I reckon instead of shipping the actual molds). My audiologist seemed to account this standard procedure when I inquired about it. I'm largely inferring this, then, but I expect to have molds made of my ears manually, and then to have those molds scanned and made deliverable to UM by way of Music Tek.

Yes if you can get 3D scans of your ear impression molds done, that'll save you tons of time now and in the future and not have to deal with shipping (as long as your ear shape hasnt change). Not all companies accept STL files, but Unique Melody does!

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #516 of 7,365
Yes if you can get 3D scans of your ear impression molds done, that'll save you tons of time now and in the future and not have to deal with shipping (as long as your ear shape hasnt change). Not all companies accept STL files, but Unique Melody does!
Where would you get the 3D scans of your silicone ear impressions done? I know that 3D scans of my ear impressions were done by UE when they made my CIEMs, but I don’t trust those molds b/c the IEM fit wasn’t great.

Sep 5, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #517 of 7,365
Received the MEST. When I took it out I just cannot reconcile these two small, light and plasticky thingy cost 1300.00. my current most expensive ones is the 250.0 which is CNC aluminium and felt premium on hand and to me it's already very very good in terms of sound quality....however after playing a number of tracks with the MEST. I understand why. .. I suddenly realise with the same track it's playing alot more what I did not notice on the other set. The range is simply amazing. Sound is so lively and impactful with amazing slam and punch on the bass, the mids are displaying fullness and sweetness, the treble sound so natural and airy and 3 dimensional, infact I felt I could chew the music in my mouth. I was initially abit worried I couldn't hear much difference from the 250 pair as I'm no expert or audiophile but I bought it because I've seen too many good reviews and gave in to temptation.
In short.. it's the best temptation I've fallen into.
Also thanks to Andrew from Musicteck for being so responsive and helpful.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #518 of 7,365
Where would you get the 3D scans of your silicone ear impressions done? I know that 3D scans of my ear impressions were done by UE when they made my CIEMs, but I don’t trust those molds b/c the IEM fit wasn’t great.
I should be receiving my custom Mest sometime next week, just waiting on the fedex shipment. I sent Musicteck my molds a few weeks ago, but since i've already used them for my LX i knew they have a proper fit.
For the 3d scans, there should be a few local audiologist that have 3d scanning as an option when doing your impressions. The best way would be to call around and see if they do 3d scanning along side impressions. You want to make sure they take a proper mold and hopefully your ears aren't swollen or anything when you go in, and just make sure they have some type of guide they can follow to get it done correctly.

Sep 5, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #519 of 7,365
sorry for asking a dumb question but how do you guys use these iems when going out daily? As it's not a $13.90. do you guys just chuck them into your bag together with the player or painstakingly unplug them from the player and coil them nicely into the case and uncoil them from the case when use it?

Sep 5, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #520 of 7,365
sorry for asking a dumb question but how do you guys use these iems when going out daily? As it's not a $13.90. do you guys just chuck them into your bag together with the player or painstakingly unplug them from the player and coil them nicely into the case and uncoil them from the case when use it?

I use this case from DD Hifi: https://www.amazon.com/DD-C-2019-Black-Protective-Organizer/dp/B082YLFJHB
the one I have is the older brown color but its the same case. It fits my IEMs (2) plus my DAP and has pockets for accessories. Works well. Also beads up water for light protection from elements.

https://www.ddhifi.com/ProductInfoCategory?categoryId=143736&PageInfoId=0

This one looks nice too: http://shop2.dignis.cafe24.com/product/attineo-dapearphone-pouch/237/?cate_no=95&display_group=1

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #521 of 7,365
Thanks! So I have tiny ear canals which is why I am a little scared. If I use Senda Earfits I need to use the SS size (super small). Generally for other iems I use either comply small or medium depending on the actual bore size. So Shuoer EJ07 I use the SS sendas, and/or comply smalls. Fearless Dawn, Medium compys.

Probably not ideal.
Eartips are cheap enough, just buy a few of the popular types and try them! Also, the stock tips are rather great!

Sep 5, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #522 of 7,365
The later....

Sep 5, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #523 of 7,365
If you want a cheap solution to taking your earphones and DAP to and from work, or other destinations, try a small cushioned lunch bag. Does a nice job, been using a couple of different ones for years.
You can also add a couple more earphones, stored in their cases, as well as tips, making it convenient for when you want to switch to a different earphone or change your tips.
I just roll the earphone cable around the DAP, place it within my "lunch" bag, and I'm ready to go. The cushion keeps everything safe. Of course, zipped or otherwise closed.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #524 of 7,365
If you want a cheap solution to taking your earphones and DAP to and from work, or other destinations, try a small cushioned lunch bag. Does a nice job, been using a couple of different ones for years.
You can also add a couple more earphones, stored in their cases, as well as tips, making it convenient for when you want to switch to a different earphone or change your tips.
I just roll the earphone cable around the DAP, place it within my "lunch" bag, and I'm ready to go. The cushion keeps everything safe. Of course, zipped or otherwise closed.
The IEM can scratch the DAP, tho, no?

Sep 5, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #525 of 7,365
@UniqueMelody

When I ordered my MEST from Musicteck, Andrew had indicated that the stock cable in 4.4 was no longer being made and so I ordered it with 2,5 mm. Is there a way to get it in 4.4 still or would I have to find someone to reterminate it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back