Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
May 27, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #181 of 7,333
And even more... mini MEST :) This is too fast to keep pace...

http://weibointl.api.weibo.com/share/147512995.html?weibo_id=4505976550442234

1590629506008.png

May 27, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #182 of 7,333
Translation please :). 4 drivers only?

May 27, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #183 of 7,333
Google translate doesn't work on images :) My best guess is 4 drivers, 3 BA (one for each Low/Mid/High) + 1 Bone conduction.

May 27, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #184 of 7,333
I could see 1x high and 2x bone conductor...the white letter on top of a clear cable doesn't help even for clean eyes read.

May 27, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #185 of 7,333
This is the best I could do with Google Translate

IMG_6081.jpgIMG_6084.jpg

I'm thinking 3BA + 1 Bone Conduction driver. The white lettering on white is really hard to make out.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #186 of 7,333
Would miss the DD Low end. But may be appealing for a lot of people! Well done guys.

May 28, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #187 of 7,333

I don't know about the driver types, but the IEMs themselves look absolutely stunning!
I don't know how much of that is due to the photography and/or Photoshop though.
Would love to see these photographed from multiple angles and in different lights to get a feel for their real-life appearance!
Not to mention to see them made available over here :)

Jun 3, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #189 of 7,333
Hi all. I got to audition MEST as part of the ongoing tour. The overall experience was positive. I found MEST to have a well-balanced sound signature with pretty good low end extension with visceral impact, clean well-defined mids, and detailed treble.

I felt like the bass impact was more visceral than expected due to the bone conduction because I heard more low end extension and presence in other IEM I own, but they didn't provide the same feeling with bass guitar, bass drum, etc. as MEST.

Lower mids were pretty clean, and I personally would've preferred a but more warmth there. Upper mids had very good presence without becoming shouty or bright and suppressing sibilance. Mids were nice and clean but could've been a bit more lush to better suit my tastes.

Treble was the star of the show of the frequency curve for me. Detail retrieval was very good and natural sounding, not hot or tizzy.

Spatial cues were very good. Soundstage was wide with good depth and height. I was easily able to pick out where instruments were supposed to be located and got a pretty good sense of separation.

I listen to a lot of classic rock, electronic, and metal...

Listening to Rush, I felt Geddy's bass notes. Geddy's synths and Neil's drums panned nicely across the soundstage. Neil's cymbals and woodblocks sat up higher in the mix and were very well defined and natural sounding. Alex's guitars were powerful and had good bite without sounding piercing. Geddy's voice had good presence with no sibilance but lacked a little fullness.

Listening to Fleetwood Mac, many of the same characteristics came through. Many positives, but I did find myself thinking that Stevie's voice should sounds a bit lusher and breathier at times, needed a bit more intimacy.

Listening to Kangding Ray, the low end had amazing visceral impact. Very impressive user of the bone conduction technology

Listening to Behemoth, MEST somehow managed to give their ultra-compressed mixes some much needed air and separation. That actually blew me away because I never expected to hear separation in there albums with the massive amount of dynamic compression applied. Impressive!

My real gripe with these is that the nozzle angle didn't cooperate very well with my ears (especially my right ear), and the shells were a bit thick. I had to use large tips for these whereas I usually use medium. I also think angled connectors would help guide the wire around my ears better because the wires didn't want to stay put very well for me.

So overall, a positive impression from these with some really interesting characteristics. Not exactly my ideal tuning (would prefer a bit more sub-bass and warmer, lusher mids) but very nice in any case. I can see many people being happy with these and can't wait to see what Unique Melody does next!

Jun 4, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #190 of 7,333
I'm coming up on about 3 weeks with MEST and I think I am starting to understand what I'm hearing.

I noticed that I prefer listening to MEST a little bit louder than I normally would. With my normal listening volume, I thought that the overall sound was pushed back, like taking a few steps back in soundstage, and also thin. Not impressed... Then, when I raise the volume, there's a point where the body to the sound improves and I get a greater sense of acoustic instruments/vocals (like strumming guitars, piano, bass, etc). I believe this is the bone conduction kicking in providing a greater sense of instrument's impact and feel. My Oriolus Mk2 has thicker and forward mids than MEST but it doesn't provide the same impact. It's a strange realization...

Jun 4, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #191 of 7,333
I'm coming up on about 3 weeks with MEST and I think I am starting to understand what I'm hearing.

I noticed that I prefer listening to MEST a little bit louder than I normally would. With my normal listening volume, I thought that the overall sound was pushed back, like taking a few steps back in soundstage, and also thin. Not impressed... Then, when I raise the volume, there's a point where the body to the sound improves and I get a greater sense of acoustic instruments/vocals (like strumming guitars, piano, bass, etc). I believe this is the bone conduction kicking in providing a greater sense of instrument's impact and feel. My Oriolus Mk2 has thicker and forward mids than MEST but it doesn't provide the same impact. It's a strange realization...
Interesting observation...thinking about the area surrounding the IEM all the way to the bone itself. the vibration needs to be considerable to be perceptible on top of the music waves vibration. Would really like to try it

Jun 5, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #193 of 7,333

i agree with you. I also crank it up a bit higher volume than i usually listen to with other iems.

Jun 5, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #194 of 7,333
I’m selling my UM MEST my are in RED carbon fiber shells, got from MusicTek barely use them. I’ll take 1000 even. also Letting go my like new 6 week young Legend X 2020 and the TiaTiro also on the sale. All three purchased Same week end of April. I got to many IEMs for real. The TOTL iem are pretty much that, all excellent in my opinion.

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #195 of 7,333
I’m selling my UM MEST my are in RED carbon fiber shells, got from MusicTek barely use them. I’ll take 1000 even. also Letting go my like new 6 week young Legend X 2020 and the TiaTiro also on the sale. All three purchased Same week end of April. I got to many IEMs for real. The TOTL iem are pretty much that, all excellent in my opinion.
@leaky74 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back