Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Dec 10, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #4,696 of 7,365
Curious, would you be kind to list your top 5?
I own all of these. This was my current top 5 before Indigo. It is going to be in the top 5. Not sure what position. I think 2 or 3. I only really rank what I own. I have not yet heard Vision Ears EXT or Phonix, Elysian X or Annihilator.

Empire Ears Evo
Oriolus Traillii
Empire Ears Odin
Sony IER-Z1R
Vision Ears VE8

Dec 10, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #4,697 of 7,365
I own all of these. This was my current top 5 before Indigo. It is going to be in the top 5. Not sure what position. I think 2 or 3. I only really rank what I own. I have not yet heard Vision Ears EXT or Phonix, Elysian X or Annihilator.

Empire Ears Evo
Oriolus Traillii
Empire Ears Odin
Sony IER-Z1R
Vision Ears VE8
Odin't #1 for me..so many totl earpieces come and go but odin survives...

Dec 10, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #4,698 of 7,365

Empire Ears Evo
Oriolus Traillii
Empire Ears Odin
Sony IER-Z1R
Vision Ears VE8
Mahalo. I've auditioned 3 of 5 in that list and wanted some kind of reference. I currently own the og mest and was on the fence between "upgrading" to a custom mest mk2 or indigo over the black Friday weekend sale. However I decided to try for the QDC Anole V14. Looks like your top 5 list has pushed me leaning towards the indigo now. Perhaps I'll pick one up in the near future if they're still available.

Here's my top 5.
QDC Anole V14 (used to be kse1500)
IMR Semper
UM Mest mk1
Sony xba-n3
EE Legend X

To me, what I love most about the og mest is the tonality and the sense of space it produces. The mest is what I usually reach for when listening to music with organic instruments. I believe the bc driver doesn't really contribute much towards audible sound but I think the magic lies in the physical tactility. Although try as I might, I can't feel any vibrations being given off using my fingers touching the shell but when it's in my ear playing music... something's going on in there.

Dec 10, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #4,699 of 7,365
Mahalo. I've auditioned 3 of 5 in that list and wanted some kind of reference. I currently own the og mest and was on the fence between "upgrading" to a custom mest mk2 or indigo over the black Friday weekend sale. However I decided to try for the QDC Anole V14. Looks like your top 5 list has pushed me leaning towards the indigo now. Perhaps I'll pick one up in the near future if they're still available.

Here's my top 5.
QDC Anole V14 (used to be kse1500)
IMR Semper
UM Mest mk1
Sony xba-n3
EE Legend X

To me, what I love most about the og mest is the tonality and the sense of space it produces. The mest is what I usually reach for when listening to music with organic instruments. I believe the bc driver doesn't really contribute much towards audible sound but I think the magic lies in the physical tactility. Although try as I might, I can't feel any vibrations being given off using my fingers touching the shell but when it's in my ear playing music... something's going on in there.
Since you live in Honolulu, we can get together and you can listen to it. It has quite a bit of bass. I am a bass head, so its bass may be too much for some.

Dec 10, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #4,700 of 7,365

Empire Ears Evo
Oriolus Traillii
Empire Ears Odin
Sony IER-Z1R
Vision Ears VE8
Man i put Indigos on after couple of days. And it was as if someone rolled a wet towel into a solid club and bashed it into my face saying: "you Idiot, what are you doing lol"

I took it off the sales and keep it. I was just missing that refinement all this time.
I have EXT from VE UK tour and for my preference its running circles around it lol.
And EXT is really really good.

I think my brain just got used to Indigos signature and im now enjoying it to its fullest.

Dec 10, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #4,701 of 7,365
Man i put Indigos on after couple of days. And it was as if someone rolled a wet towel into a solid club and bashed it into my face saying: "you Idiot, what are you doing lol"

I took it off the sales and keep it. I was just missing that refinement all this time.
I have EXT from VE UK tour and for my preference its running circles around it lol.

I think my brain just got used to Indigos signature and im now enjoying it to its fullest.
Great. It may end up being my number 1. Indigo is so good that it is mind blowing. I am not going to decide until I have a few weeks with it and rotating across all of my music.

I didn't need to get used to the Indigo signature. It just nailed it and I knew it in a few seconds.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #4,702 of 7,365

Hi there! As you know, I've heard the EXT recently too, and loved it, with a few reservations concerning wishing for a bit more soundstage and separation, and perhaps a bit more air/sparkle in the treble. I loved how smooth and non-fatiguing it was too (except for the nozzle size!).:)

But its bass especially impressed me, not only in quality but in the fact that it just made basslines stand out on songs that I'd heard a hundred times before and never previously noticed. Made some songs so incredibly musical.

So with that in mind, and also bearing in mind that I own MEST Mk II, I'd really love to hear your comparisons regarding the similarities and differences between Indigo, EXT and MEST Mk II, if you have time?

Mainly between Indigo and MEST Mk II and between Indigo and EXT.
And if you can be bothered, perhaps MEST Mk II and EXT, since I didn't have time to compare EXT to my other IEMs due to being unwell at the time! :laughing:

It's quite something to hear you saying you prefer Indigo over EXT, so I'm certainly intrigued! :D

Dec 10, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #4,703 of 7,365
Hi there! As you know, I've heard the EXT recently too, and loved it, with a few reservations concerning wishing for a bit more soundstage and separation, and perhaps a bit more air/sparkle in the treble. I loved how smooth and non-fatiguing it was too (except for the nozzle size!).:)

But its bass especially impressed me, not only in quality but in the fact that it just made basslines stand out on songs that I'd heard a hundred times before and never previously noticed. Made some songs so incredibly musical.

So with that in mind, and also bearing in mind that I own MEST Mk II, I'd really love to hear your comparisons regarding the similarities and differences between Indigo, EXT and MEST Mk II, if you have time?

Mainly between Indigo and MEST Mk II and between Indigo and EXT.
And if you can be bothered, perhaps MEST Mk II and EXT, since I didn't have time to compare EXT to my other IEMs due to being unwell at the time! :laughing:

It's quite something to hear you saying you prefer Indigo over EXT, so I'm certainly intrigued! :D
I have all 3 for a week so i will throw something together.

You can read my initial thoughts about Indigo vs EXT in VE thread

Dec 10, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #4,704 of 7,365
Dont be so surprised. The only MKII lacked in front of big boys was resolution. And Indigo sorts it out. Indigo is fully competitive with TOTL stuff. Its not perfect. But its got so much to offer.
One thing i would say. If you want more treble than EXT. It is a bit tricky. Indigo has less upper treble and less treble in general in relation to mids. But Indigo also has less bass and its also subbass focused to has more balanced presentation over all.
Indigos treble is more natural sounding for me.

Dec 10, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #4,705 of 7,365
Great. It may end up being my number 1. Indigo is so good that it is mind blowing. I am not going to decide until I have a few weeks with it and rotating across all of my music.

I didn't need to get used to the Indigo signature. It just nailed it and I knew it in a few seconds.

You guys and your comments are really making it hard for me not to buy an Indigo … 😉

Dec 10, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #4,706 of 7,365
You guys and your comments are really making it hard for me not to buy an Indigo … 😉

I told @jwilliamhurst that I decided not to get the indigo because of the aesthetics, but that was not the real reason, my wallet is hurting right now. Oh well, it’s hurting even more now, Indigo just ordered. 😁

Dec 10, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #4,707 of 7,365
I told @jwilliamhurst that I decided not to get the indigo because of the aesthetics, but that was not the real reason, my wallet is hurting right now. Oh well, it’s hurting even more now, Indigo just ordered. 😁
I do agree they are hella ugly.

Dec 10, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #4,708 of 7,365
Given your collection, I think you are going to like it and it will fit right in.

Dec 10, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #4,710 of 7,365
Need to see it in IRL.

Personally was not impressed on picture. But the do look elegant. Especially with its cable.
I think the Indigo stock cable is my favorite stock cable of all my IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back