Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Nov 24, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #4,561 of 7,365
How long did it take for you to drop your jaw? :)
It actually sounds good and I like it. IEM's so light on my ears, too.
But then I will take any improvement I can get...
I have been listening to it as much as I can now, and this is my day 2 with it. :)

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #4,562 of 7,365
I am not completely blown away by its sound but I find indigo to be good 2.5K spent.
Call me old fashioned but for that kind of money I still expect to be blown away... 😊

Nov 24, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #4,563 of 7,365
Call me old fashioned but for that kind of money I still expect to be blown away... 😊

Do you still own fourte? I had fourte for quite some time long ago and dont recall being blown away either. :) These so-called totl iems...they are pretty much neck to neck but it boils down the personal preference of sound signatures or minor differences, not that indigo's purely totl in terms of price.

Nov 24, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #4,564 of 7,365
Do you still own fourte? I had fourte for quite some time long ago and dont recall being blown away either. :) These so-called totl iems...they are pretty much neck to neck but it boils down the personal preference of sound signatures or minor differences, not that indigo's purely totl in terms of price.
Yes, still own the Fourte. I find it quite special, it's high on the list of keepers. 😊 Mind you, I bought it used for 50-60% of the retail price.. At that price, totally worth it, in my opinion.

Nov 24, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #4,565 of 7,365
Coming from odin I find indigo to have a bigger bass presence. It doesn't necessarily mean overpowering but obviously I hear bigger bass slam with enough texture
and definition around the edge to make it enjoyable. One thing I give more credit to indigo is that it is not at all harsh in the upper range. At time it may not sound
sharp/intense enough in comparison but resolution is definitely there. Good fatigue free Estat presentation for easy listening..

I am not completely blown away by its sound but I find indigo to be good 2.5K spent. The shell's quite small and light. The construction of cable looks sort of flimsy
which doesn't add premium feel to overall package but sound wise it's perfect match for indigo. Ironically the centurion and first time cost more than iem itself
but they didn't add much value. Synergy with these premium cable was rather disappointing, so I had to go back to stock cable.
Just had the indigo for about 2 hours so we will see...
I dont think it matches resolution of Odin. But i do think Indigo is better value proposition.
I feel like indigo is wider and taller sounding. While Odin has exceptional depth.

I am guessing jumping from Odin you should feel like there is a bit of presence region missing? I did for sure coming from EVO. And in general i thing they should have left 4-5khz where it was. After EQing it i feels so much more layered now.

And yes bass is more prominent but also it has more presence in midbass.
One thing indigo does better than mkII is rock music. I dont listen to it much. But being more full bodied it sound very engaging.

Just the fact that its up there with EVO and Odin should be a statement.
I think it mops the floor with something like Sultan or Layla in technicalities and its ahead

Yes, Odin slightly more resolving, but it lacks warmth and punch.
Yes i like EVOs a lot in many aspects but bass can be too much somewhere, and it can lack some air at certain times. And it fails miserably in isolation department.
Sultans might be similar engaging tuning but it lacks depth and sounds relatively compressed.
Yes all BA iems will be speedier snappier but this might also their problem.

What mest mkII and Indigo have over all above for me, it makes a much better all-rounder.

The only thing in torn in-between here is i liked Mest mkII tuning better.
But everything else is much improved on Indigo. I think the fact that i has so much improved fit helps BCD by a good margin.

I am also being biased by indigo because isolation is a massive plus for me. Where most of you might not care about if listening at home only.

Whether its worth extra buck over mkII is your call. I mean if you are looking to buy mest. Might aswell grab Indigo if wallet permits. Same goes if you find mkII too bright but like everything else it does. Indigo will suit you for sure.

But a comment that it did not blow 3k-4k iems out of water is not really a fair way to gauge it is it.

Cable and shell must have affected a cost for sure. So most likely it could have been a better bang for buck purely on sound improvements but there are A LOT worse overpriced iems out there.

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #4,566 of 7,365
Pictures do not even come close to doing these justice

809E6CCD-E7CC-4FC9-8B13-00BF44C162CF.jpeg

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #4,568 of 7,365
Two more "estats" yet less treble? I'm guessing that maybe UM isn't using all 4 etats to cover the same frequency range? Or maybe they found that using 4 instead of 2 for the same range, while attenuating the treble, still increased the detail and other technicals. At any rate, I'm one who wouldn't want less treble from the MKII so the Indigo probably wouldn't be for me. It's a moot point anyway because I'm too happy with the MKII to even consider parting with the $2500 for the Indigo. And, there are too many other things looking to burn holes in my pockets. Regardless, it is a beauty.

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #4,569 of 7,365
Yeh, they are lookers.

Im really curious where they stand with EXT.

Without going into crazy detail just yet, these are very very natural sounding to me. It's like, uncolored but it's not boring either? EXT is a more colored sound, a bit more fun to me, has more body in the bass also. The imaging on this is better than the EXT, I'd say it has a slightly more "3D" sounding soundstage also, probably the BCD helping here.

Nov 24, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #4,570 of 7,365
Without going into crazy detail just yet, these are very very natural sounding to me. It's like, uncolored but it's not boring either? EXT is a more colored sound, a bit more fun to me, has more body in the bass also. The imaging on this is better than the EXT, I'd say it has a slightly more "3D" sounding soundstage also, probably the BCD helping here.
Agreed. I had a very "busy" day at work and spent a lot of time going through many genres while tip rolling. And i was really surprised what a chameleon Indigo is. It eliminated the need to EQ completely. And i can make it from bass cannon for some EDM to a spacious sounding staging beast for orchestral music.

This now made it fall in love with these things.

Nov 24, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #4,572 of 7,365
The vocals on Indigo are on point too, significantly improved over the MK2 from memory. Mainly in female vocals. I think for EDM I prefer the EXT, but I don't have an issue with the way these present it also. Pretty happy so far.
Yeh i figured you will like its upper mids. Initially i felt like i wanted some more, but some brain burn in and with certain tips i can tone it how i want it.

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #4,573 of 7,365
With Black Friday sales thinking of grabbing the Shanling M6 Pro 21 for mest. This is the new on with DAC changed to ESS Sabre ES9068AS. Noticed a few members use Shanling with mest and hoping to get feedback on sound with this match.

Was looking at higher end dap but with only one useable hand design of the M6 looks like it work better. Mostly home use and well camping.

Since they changed the dac chip mid model to DAP ESS Sabre ES9068AS I concerned it might be to bright. Few reviews on it yet.
There is also a earlier Shanling M621with AKM4495 chip.
I Can buy the M6Pro 21 new for 633 or try find a used model with AKM4495 chip.

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #4,574 of 7,365
For those who are interested, I just finished and published my detailed review of Unique Melody Mest Indigo! Enjoy the read!

um-mest-indigo-16.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back