Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Aug 26, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #3,766 of 7,365
So got my hands on Mest MKII since last night.

Things i like about it so far:
- soundstage and Imaging. Really impressive for its price. Imaging especially competes with top dogs. While dimensionally its not as wide as something like LX or Odin height is amazing and the depth is really good. It gives that holographic feel for sure.
- treble is really well done. This part is something i dont have a certain preference but rather need to hear to like or not. I seem to be quite treble sensitive, yet U18Ts treble is one of best i have heard on market.
Mest just gets it right with the rest of its tuning. Enough sparkle without taking drowning mids out in it.
- mids are actually quite natural and well integrated in tuning.
- bass. Right, this is a tricky one. Technically its amazing. Subbass focus, tastefully elevated, good speed. Problem is i have been spoiled by LX and ie900 is on another level too. I just need to get used to it i suppose. But for most people liking more balanced signature its an endgame bass.

What i am concerned about/not sure if i like.

- fit. I tip rolled yesterday and i went back to stock silicones as it keeps it tonally warmer. Very few tips i liked with it otherwise. And the ones i liked are not benchmarks on comfort on Mest.
I dont loose seal, but there is extra pressure on ears that i dont have on other iems. As i spend 5-8hrs with iems on it is a bit of a worry.
- cable. Its a bit of mess.. Tangled up out of box lol and quite stiff. Had to switch to my Eletech.
- tuning. What im going to say here its entirely my preferene. And might change after few days..
Hard to explain here. It seems like all is well balanced. And does not need to get used to. But at the same time i just miss some special flavour. I just like my food a bit spicy you see.
Will see. Need to compare it to ie900 soon.

In General. Its an amazing iem. Really technical for its price and no way its clinical. I can see it being a solid end game for so many.
I personally find it amazing on orchestral music like OSTs.
Its got a big potential staying with me. But it does not stop me looking elsewhere for some silly reason.
Thanks for these impressions! Very interesting and useful. I'll be joining the crew sometime next week, and I look forward to comparing my impressions to yours. :)

Aug 26, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #3,768 of 7,365
Just got my MEST MKII in. Bought from a fellow Head Fi member and the transaction went flawlessly.

I immediately put the ep01 tips on and they fit perfectly. Also, the fitment on these iems is as if they were custom made for me. I literally put both iems straight into my ear, no wiggling, no hassle at all and had an ANC type seal. Fitment is absolutely flawless.

Not really impressed with the cable and might sell it. I much prefer my 24 core KBEAR due to its softness and comfort. The stock UM cable is a bit stiff for my liking, especially around the ears. I like the earhook to be void of heatshrink.

These are much smaller compared to my other iems (Variations, B2) but they feel better quality. Small footprint but dense is the word that comes to mind.

Overall I'm absolutely stoked and very happy. I've yet to have a listening session as I want to dedicate a significant amount of time for these, but should be able to get around to that either tonight or early morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20210826_164121.jpg
    IMG_20210826_164121.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210826_164053.jpg
    IMG_20210826_164053.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #3,769 of 7,365
Just got my MEST MKII in. Bought from a fellow Head Fi member and the transaction went flawlessly.

I immediately put the ep01 tips on and they fit perfectly. Also, the fitment on these iems is as if they were custom made for me. I literally put both iems straight into my ear, no wiggling, no hassle at all and had an ANC type seal. Fitment is absolutely flawless.

Not really impressed with the cable and might sell it. I much prefer my 24 core KBEAR due to its softness and comfort. The stock UM cable is a bit stiff for my liking, especially around the ears. I like the earhook to be void of heatshrink.

These are much smaller compared to my other iems (Variations, B2) but they feel better quality. Small footprint but dense is the word that comes to mind.

Overall I'm absolutely stoked and very happy. I've yet to have a listening session as I want to dedicate a significant amount of time for these, but should be able to get around to that either tonight or early morning.
Cool. Off to a good start. They are almost just a hair wide for my ears and bother my anti-tragus/tragus area if I don't get them rotated just right. It's not that they are all that big, I think that area on them is just a bit wider. Outside of that, the nozzle angle seems about perfect and they are real comfortable. I think every tip I've tried I've gotten a seal with, easy.

If you decide to sell the cable, I may be interested.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #3,770 of 7,365
Cool. Off to a good start. They are almost just a hair wide for my ears and bother my anti-tragus/tragus area if I don't get them rotated just right. It's not that they are all that big, I think that area on them is just a bit wider. Outside of that, the nozzle angle seems about perfect and they are real comfortable. I think every tip I've tried I've gotten a seal with, easy.

If you decide to sell the cable, I may be interested.
Ok sounds good. I'll keep you in mind. 👍

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #3,771 of 7,365

Yeh Mests are growing on me too.

Had an A/B Session against ie900 yesterday for an hour or so. And yes IE900 mass is addictive and more what im used to, but it has a bit of treble peak and mids are taking a step back. Also after switching to Mest from ie900 sound just envelopes you. And there are no peaks of any sort. Surprising what they do at this price.

I have ordered EP01s too yesterday so will try.
Admittedly not all tips work for me comfort wise, as i find Mests nozzle a touch too long for my perfect fit. But its a minor i dont loose seal with most of tips just a bit of pressure on ears after long sessions.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #3,772 of 7,365
Yeh Mests are growing on me too.

Had an A/B Session against ie900 yesterday for an hour or so. And yes IE900 mass is addictive and more what im used to, but it has a bit of treble peak and mids are taking a step back. Also after switching to Mest from ie900 sound just envelopes you. And there are no peaks of any sort. Surprising what they do at this price.

I have ordered EP01s too yesterday so will try.
Admittedly not all tips work for me comfort wise, as i find Mests nozzle a touch too long for my perfect fit. But its a minor i dont loose seal with most of tips just a bit of pressure on ears after long sessions.
You could try the Spinfit CP1025. They are made for Apple Air Pod Pro so they are real low profile. But, they have a wider bore, unlike most Spinfit tips, and they would give you a shallower fit. I'm still using the stock silicone tips but the CP1025 is very comfortable for me. Even moreso than the stock silicones.

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #3,773 of 7,365
You could try the Spinfit CP1025. They are made for Apple Air Pod Pro so they are real low profile. But, they have a wider bore, unlike most Spinfit tips, and they would give you a shallower fit. I'm still using the stock silicone tips but the CP1025 is very comfortable for me. Even moreso than the stock silicones.
Need to try. Did you manage to get it on Mest? Seem like 2 different sizes of nozzles.

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #3,775 of 7,365
Oh.. Typical apple crap ripping 20 quid for tips lol. Bought it anyway. Might make its worth on earphones insdea lol
different material than the typical spinfit,
really comfortable,

*vs Azla short,
P_20210811_213825_1_1y.jpg

Aug 27, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #3,776 of 7,365
different material than the typical spinfit,
really comfortable,

*vs Azla short,
Interesting. Ordered.. Should arrive the same day as the Mest..😊

Aug 27, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #3,777 of 7,365
Need to try. Did you manage to get it on Mest? Seem like 2 different sizes of nozzles.
It's a short center tube but long enough to fit over the lip on the nozzle so it works fine. Not going to slip off. Probably makes for the shallowest fit you're going to get with the MEST and it's not the small bore like most Spinfits. I think they were $15.99 on Amazon USA but at least you get 2 pairs.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #3,778 of 7,365
It's a short center tube but long enough to fit over the lip on the nozzle so it works fine. Not going to slip off. Probably makes for the shallowest fit you're going to get with the MEST and it's not the small bore like most Spinfits. I think they were $15.99 on Amazon USA but at least you get 2 pairs.
Wow now that is a shallow fit! Seriously bottom the shell out with that tip. Maybe even get better BCD frequencies.

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #3,779 of 7,365
This might be what i need. As long as it does not change the sound negatively.

Funny enough, best fit and sound combo tips at the moment are some random narrow bore cheapos from bottom of my drawer that i accidentally found while looking for something.
I almost never use narrow bore tips but this seems to do best so far. Still a bit tight on ears but better.

I was messing about the price of tips. One of my best ever tips soundwise are spiral dots++ and i paid almost 40 bucks for them. They were worth it though back when i owned LX. They work ok with Mest but not ideal.

Hopefully at least one apple product will last longer than a month im my ownership lol

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #3,780 of 7,365
This might be what i need. As long as it does not change the sound negatively.

Funny enough, best fit and sound combo tips at the moment are some random narrow bore cheapos from bottom of my drawer that i accidentally found while looking for something.
I almost never use narrow bore tips but this seems to do best so far. Still a bit tight on ears but better.

I was messing about the price of tips. One of my best ever tips soundwise are spiral dots++ and i paid almost 40 bucks for them. They were worth it though back when i owned LX. They work ok with Mest but not ideal.

Hopefully at least one apple product will last longer than a month im my ownership lol
I've spent probably half what the MEST cost on tips. At least a third. It's been over time but still, it's ridiculous.

All you can do is try the Spinfit tips. You'll either like them or not. I have some Spiral Dots but not the ++. I thought they were OK on MEST but still prefer the stock silicones. I need to spend some time with the 1025's and also want to try some BGVP W01's that I just got in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back