Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Apr 26, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #3,166 of 7,365
That’s fair. Tips can have different effects for different ears and so on.

I did have a hard time getting consistent seals and pleasing sound with MKII’s with the elastec (by memory only). I recall having too much bass with them for my taste, but this could be an error in memory. I tried them briefly too. That all being said, I do have these...

They are not foam, but they give me a similar sound as the Dekoni foam seems to. Not enough to say the signature changes dramatically from the foam to my ear. The bass is still elevated compared to OG with Campfires.

I put these on though right now to compare quickly. It immediately gives a “wow, that clears up the air between everything” on the MKII. But there is a trade off for the sudden clarity - the silicone clarity brings out a bit of shouty attributes at times (for my ears and tastes anyway). Hey maybe xelastec strikes a more perfect balance - but my memory of those was not strong on first impression, so I didn’t stick with it.

I wish I rolled tips for an extra section in the comparison though. Because...I think you’re absolutely right. And, I think I prefer the MKII right now with the clearer quality brought about by the silicone tips, rather than foam. The foam flattens out some notes a bit much compared to it. But...without the foam, some tracks can feel over worked and shouty.

To try comparing apples to apples, I put silicone tips on the OG as well...

On “Early Morning Light” by Sarah Jarosz, the MKII sounded beautifully clear. Moving to the OG, the voice sounded even closer to me, more like she was there with me. BUT, she could be a bit fatiguing too at moments. Yes though, the MKII improved significantly in perceived clarity moving to silicone tips from foam. Really great improvement. And its just natural and balanced enough over the OG to not be as dangerous with fatigue as the OG can be.

Listening to “Stairway to Heaven” again, now with silicone tips on each, and I’m enjoying both. It is a small matter of taste here, but the OG seems a bit more poppy on the cymbal hits and guitar plucks. We’re talking small differences in tonal balance, but yea, that’s what I get on silicone against silicone.

Now what about those “emotional” moments in my show, attack on titan?...

The same commentary holds as the longer post. The MKII are a more refined, more forgiving tuning, while the OG has a more in your face feel for the treble and vocals, for better or worse. The OG can fatigue here, while the MKII are much closer to the clarity and enjoyment of the OG (since the MKII have silicone tips here) without fatiguing as much as the OG. Overall the MKII are better performers, but I’m a glutton for the last 10% more airiness and brightness of the OG treble range, even if I can’t listen as long.

If I try to compare silicone MKII to foam OG, the MKII win in clarity actually. BUT, the female vocals in the OG still manage to shine through in a different and better way for me, even if much of the tonality is preferable here in the MKII.

Thank you for mentioning trying silicone tips. Maybe it’s just having had listened to the MESTs so much and getting used to them, but now I’m finding myself preferring the silicone OG over foam OG.

My tastes ranked right now after a short listening:
1) Silicone OG (oh boy the brightness, I love it and hate it)
2) Silicone MKII tied with foam OG for different reasons. MKII for clarity with well rounded ness. Foam OG for still sounding great as the OG did with some of the bright tuning for vocals finding its way through the foam.
3) Foam MKII. These are still great, but maybe too softened in some places comparatively to the rest.

EDIT::
Just to be clear, especially after this test with silicone tips that cleared up the MKII, I think the MKII are generally better than the OG. I just personally like the flavoring of the brighter OG, enough so that I don’t want to have the better overall MKII that is still 90%, or even 95% as bright as I would like in the treble. If I didn’t already have Clairvoyance and AirPods Max for all around portable options, I would likely keep the MKII and suggest others do so as well. At moments listening with the silicone tipped MKII, I felt genuine concern for getting rid of them! But then I put on the OG again and thought, “yea, I’m a bright listener. It hurts so good!”

I recommend anyone get the MKII, unless you want a spicier vocal range (in a good and bad way at times) and if you already own something else for more all around listening.

I think there's a bigger difference between the silicones. Spinfits and Azlas sound really different. Spinfits on the MK2 has increased bass, but the soundstage is compressed (probably due to the much smaller nozzle holes). Treble sounds like its fighting the other frequencies and just doesn't sound very clean. Azlas have less impactful bass but the whole sound spectrum is cleaner and imaging is way better. All the frequencies are well separated on Azlas, but bass dominates on Spinfits making it sound V-shaped. Azlas are the way to go IMO and if you're using the exlastics, please give them a few hours to mold to your ears.

Either way, I appreciate the write-up. It's nice to see a comparison with all those IEMS and changing the tips probably won't effect the end conclusion much anyways.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #3,167 of 7,365
I think there's a bigger difference between the silicones. Spinfits and Azlas sound really different. Spinfits on the MK2 has increased bass, but the soundstage is compressed (probably due to the much smaller nozzle holes). Treble sounds like its fighting the other frequencies and just doesn't sound very clean. Azlas have less impactful bass but the whole sound spectrum is cleaner and imaging is way better. All the frequencies are well separated on Azlas, but bass dominates on Spinfits making it sound V-shaped. Azlas are the way to go IMO and if you're using the exlastics, please give them a few hours to mold to your ears.

Either way, I appreciate the write-up. It's nice to see a comparison with all those IEMS and changing the tips probably won't effect the end conclusion much anyways.
Yea, just to point out, I compared spinfits with spinfits. I could probably go a little nutty trying to compare the two IEMs with every tip brand out there haha.

Thanks for the appreciation :)

I hope people don’t try to take it all too seriously. I’m just one guy, with my own oversights, errors, and tastes that may differ from others. But hey what can we do in this audio game? Mix and match until we run out of patience and money and when we just want to enjoy the music already with whatever we got so far that gave us the most joy. The OG happen to do that for me, but so did the MKII, but in just a slightly different way that wasn’t hitting as hard personally.

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #3,168 of 7,365
Yea, just to point out, I compared spinfits with spinfits. I could probably go a little nutty trying to compare the two IEMs with every tip brand out there haha.

Thanks for the appreciation :)

I hope people don’t try to take it all too seriously. I’m just one guy, with my own oversights, errors, and tastes that may differ from others. But hey what can we do in this audio game? Mix and match until we run out of patience and money and when we just want to enjoy the music already with whatever we got so far that gave us the most joy. The OG happen to do that for me, but so did the MKII, but in just a slightly different way that wasn’t hitting as hard personally.

lol I don't take this too seriously at all. I end up having to EQ bass frequencies up on the Azlas anyways even with me preferring those tips. And yea, I don't think you will reach a different conclusion anyways. Seems like the OG Mest has more of a wow factor.

Apr 27, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #3,169 of 7,365
After many hours with the Mest OG I think that using any narrow bore tips is a “crimethat significantly reduces the best of these IEMs.
For me, the best tips for these IEMs are the Azla Short, followed by the SpiralDot.

That is just my opinion. I know the result is very brilliant, but only then does it maintain that complete wow effect, that holographic feeling, those voices so separated from the music, that definition ...

Apr 27, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #3,170 of 7,365
After many hours with the Mest OG I think that using any narrow bore tips is a “crimethat significantly reduces the best of these IEMs.
For me, the best tips for these IEMs are the Azla Short, followed by the SpiralDot.

That is just my opinion. I know the result is very brilliant, but only then does it maintain that complete wow effect, that holographic feeling, those voices so separated from the music, that definition ...
Which spiral dot?

Apr 27, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #3,171 of 7,365
Which spiral dot?
I have the Spiral Dot ++, ML size for me.
But I think AzlaSedna Short are much better for the Mest and the Clairvoyance.

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #3,173 of 7,365
Just ordered MS, M, and ML azla shorts off Amazon :)

Thanks for a recommendation! Now to see if I like them too :p

Incidentally, I have Spiral Dot++ coming in the mail. M I think...
Oh my, my wife is declaring me crazy with all the tips I am ordering...
Do you guys know how the sizes compare to e.g Spiral Dots?
I found Spiral Dots++ to be smaller than others, needed to order ML therefore
How do the Azla Shorts compare in these regards?

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #3,175 of 7,365
Curious on the Azla Shorts too... if MS on the Xelastec, is it likely to be the same? I am usually M but MS with Xelastec on the MEST.

Apr 27, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #3,176 of 7,365
I just ordered Azla Short Lights on Amazon to try out. I like the stock silicone and the Xelestec's so I figured I'd give these a try. Oh, I also have the regular Azla Earfits (non short) and I like those too. They all sound very similar to me. You guys must have large ear canalas, as I have to get the SS. Anything larger will not work for me.

Apr 27, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #3,178 of 7,365
Oh my, my wife is declaring me crazy with all the tips I am ordering...
Do you guys know how the sizes compare to e.g Spiral Dots?
I found Spiral Dots++ to be smaller than others, needed to order ML therefore
How do the Azla Shorts compare in these regards?
Azla Shorts are bigger than Spiral Dots.
Spiral Dots ML is 13mm, Azla Shorts ML is 13.3mm.
I use ML of both, but Azla fixes better for me.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #3,179 of 7,365
For those of you who enjoy ambient music with a nice mix of samples/field recordings and sweeping soundscapes, this album sounds stunning on the MEST. Incredibly immersive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 28, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #3,180 of 7,365
For those of you who enjoy ambient music with a nice mix of samples/field recordings and sweeping soundscapes, this album sounds stunning on the MEST. Incredibly immersive.

Will give this a go tonight, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back