Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
Aug 17, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #1,441 of 1,469
Affirm all of this. Recently started to use a convolution file in the Hiby R8 supplied by @Joe Bloggs (for non-MQA files) and found this greatly impacted the 3DTs staging- all to say that DAP or DAC/Amp pairing with 3DT can affect this element of this setz
Any chance you can share that HiBy convolution file? I'd be keen to try that out on my RS6/3DT. tia.

Aug 17, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #1,442 of 1,469
Any chance you can share that HiBy convolution file? I'd be keen to try that out on my RS6/3DT. tia.
Absolutely- @Joe Bloggs is still offering this. He will ask you for specifics re the exact earphone you want to use with it, and how you want to improve the sound then will custom make it for you and work with you to get it working properly- it’s quite the added benefit of being a Hiby DAP owner - please see his post Here, but he did this for me only last month so I’m sure the offer is still on, on request.

Btw my files were for EE LX, but I found they work well for all IEMs with DDs, so if there is by chance a problem, pls PM me and I will help you.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #1,444 of 1,469
I jist got this IEM and music has become alive with so much more detail I never heard before. I love the mids for hard rock, power metal, speed metal heavy guitar and female vocal tracks. Soooo worth it to buy this one!
Very much my experience as well. It’s an incredible value and tip rolling and cable rolling provides long lasting fun!

Sep 2, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #1,445 of 1,469
Terrific and fun to read review, thank you. I used Azla's initially but now prefer Final Audio Type E tips which fit well and provide a balanced sound, perhaps a bit more low end than Azla's. Worth a try IMO.
I just tried the final audio type E today on the 3DT. Took me a couple of tries to get the right size, but I would say they are a cable level improvement over stock. Deeper, wider, and more layered stage. Bass is tighter and rounder, and most importantly, they smoothed some of the sibilance and make listening easier. That magic presence of voices is maintained and it provided a more musical experience. Thank you for the excellent suggestion!

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #1,447 of 1,469
Fellow 3DT owners.
If you are not a ‘cable believer’ pls ignore.
I recently came into a new cable for another IEM and moved the cable I was using with that one, the Eletech Project 8 Fortitude (an 8-wire copper cable) to the 3DT. I have always found the lower mids a bit underwhelming on 3DT so hoped it would help. The effect was mind-blowing. Here’s what I heard relative to the existing cable (a DUNU Hulk Pro):
Sub bass elevation, leaving mid-bass about the same, bass texture improved
Elevation of mids as hoped
Great increase in detail retrieval in treble
Big increase in soundstage.
This was all listening out of Hiby R8 with Turbo=on and Azla Xelastic tips, well worn in.

I thought I’d pass along. There are plenty of other options for 8 wire copper cables but Eletech does a great job, this one is also supple, comfortable and attractive. It’s not the cheapest though ($350 USD at bloomaudio.com) but often comes up on the classifieds.
It will be staying on my 3DT.
As ever, YMMV- I know many people do not hear differences between cables, and that it can’t be measured objectively. I am a ‘subjectivist’ extraordinaire.

Jan 15, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #1,448 of 1,469
Jan 15, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #1,450 of 1,469
Jan 1, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #1,451 of 1,469
I'm currently in Japan and after a rushed 20+ iem demo at e earphone, the 3DT passed the initial test as a potential. I liked the Mext but it's maybe over my budget.
The one I demoed was the original(?) blue/wood finish model, but when looking at purchase options other colours with Grain added to the name show up - is Grain referring to a physical trait ie. wood grain, or an actual different configuration and sound? As I am overwhelmed with iem choices I won't have a chance to read every thread of each iem so apologies if this is common knowledge.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #1,452 of 1,469
I'm currently in Japan and after a rushed 20+ iem demo at e earphone, the 3DT passed the initial test as a potential. I liked the Mext but it's maybe over my budget.
The one I demoed was the original(?) blue/wood finish model, but when looking at purchase options other colours with Grain added to the name show up - is Grain referring to a physical trait ie. wood grain, or an actual different configuration and sound? As I am overwhelmed with iem choices I won't have a chance to read every thread of each iem so apologies if this is common knowledge.
I believe that the grain is referring to the wood use with the resin. I thought that the original 3D Terminator just came in yellow and blue and that there were just a few hundred made. I’ve enjoyed my set and like the organic sound and the depth of the sound stage. They are not the most resolving. Set, but they are a fun and engaging set. They have a good fit but that was achieved with a lot of tip rolling.

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #1,453 of 1,469
I believe that the grain is referring to the wood use with the resin. I thought that the original 3D Terminator just came in yellow and blue and that there were just a few hundred made. I’ve enjoyed my set and like the organic sound and the depth of the sound stage. They are not the most resolving. Set, but they are a fun and engaging set. They have a good fit but that was achieved with a lot of tip rolling.
Thanks for your input. That description is is pretty much what I'm looking for, and they are priced right too. I'll hopefully get to give them a go again tomorrow. It is a dream to be here to try pretty much anything, but also overwhelming as it's not until I get back home and spend more time that an unpleasant frequency may become more obvious.

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #1,454 of 1,469
I completely agree. There’s only so much time you can spend with a demo unit and it’s not until you get used to it and switch to another set that you can really understand aspects of your IEM. I miss living in Hong Kong because I had so much access to demo everything. Now that I’m in the States, it’s not so easy to demo things. Perhaps we need to figure out an old school style of Netflix for personal audio.
One last thing about the 3DT, the two pin sockets are shallow and cable rolling may damage the sockets. If you’re not happy with cable, you may want to see if the shop there will modify the pins on a cable you do want to use with the set so that they don’t get damaged.

Jan 2, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #1,455 of 1,469
I thought that the original 3D Terminator just came in yellow and blue and that there were just a few hundred made
I received a replacement set when my original blue resin and wood needed to be returned on RMD, the factory is no longer making those - now they are green resin and wood - to my ears the SQ is identical. I am happy with them. Fit remains an issue, but Symbio F foam and Spinfit CP 145s work acceptably. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_1133.jpeg
    IMG_1133.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1134.jpeg
    IMG_1134.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back