Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
Jul 16, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #1,426 of 1,469
Also have 3DTs and this is pretty much on tbe mark. As these are pretty chunky it has made too selection a bit difficult. Azla Xelastics seem to work the best all round though some times I want me some bass and then foamies rock with this set ( though the treble extension and stage suffers, predictably).

I hate to say it, but 3DTs were the ‘thin end of the wedge’ for me. After them came the Monarch Mk2, which are thoroughly inoffensive and very good on all fronts but still lacking some detail retrieval and stage width so on I went to 64 Audio U12T which had all that —but bass slam still not all it could be, so then came EE legend X, and a TOTL DAP (the Hiby R8) and after-market cables… you get the picture. In the words of my virtual mentor @ngoshawk “At some point you must decide a level at which you should stop. What that level is, will be completely up to you.”. The 3DT is really excellent. Is there better along the continuum upwards in all the parameters included in your review? Indubitably. Will you stop here… or?
Yeah, for me the 3DT is so far my “best” all-DD set. While it’s got me curious about others, I’m plenty satisfied with it’s smooth natural timbre vs some of the BA and hybrid sets I’ve got.

Still quite a good mid level set for the price, and although it doesn’t get quite the same eartime these days, I’m happy to have it.

Jul 16, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #1,427 of 1,469
Also have 3DTs and this is pretty much on tbe mark. As these are pretty chunky it has made too selection a bit difficult. Azla Xelastics seem to work the best all round though some times I want me some bass and then foamies rock with this set ( though the treble extension and stage suffers, predictably).

I hate to say it, but 3DTs were the ‘thin end of the wedge’ for me. After them came the Monarch Mk2, which are thoroughly inoffensive and very good on all fronts but still lacking some detail retrieval and stage width so on I went to 64 Audio U12T which had all that —but bass slam still not all it could be, so then came EE legend X, and a TOTL DAP (the Hiby R8) and after-market cables… you get the picture. In the words of my virtual mentor @ngoshawk “At some point you must decide a level at which you should stop. What that level is, will be completely up to you.”. The 3DT is really excellent. Is there better along the continuum upwards in all the parameters included in your review? Indubitably. Will you stop here… or?
It’s as if you have laid out my notes of what I might buy down the road :). I’m also curious how the VE Ext performs given its driver configuration. I also have eyeballed the EE Odin. I’m in no rush, but intellectually, what I wonder is whether these higher end IEMs will retain the emotional connection to the music. That element is very mysterious to me and when something produces that sound - it’s like gold. The 3DT and R6 2020 deliver on that front in spades.

The advice from your digital mentor resonates. I have this theory from two channel days that what is most enjoyable is a change in sound. Then the mind starts to get used to the sound and it doesn’t have the same effect, so one looks for the next change for excitement. That’s one reason I’m tuning and doing small things. Delaying the inevitable upgrade and events where the wife notices it. But I actually love the journey and learning about the science of great sound - what created emotional connection and a sense of a musical event.

The cool thing about IEMs as good gear costs less than I paid for some power cables….

Jul 16, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #1,428 of 1,469
but intellectually, what I wonder is whether these higher end IEMs will retain the emotional connection to the music.
I can't comment on the VE or EE stuff, but the higher end IEMs and headphone I've chosen are specifically for this emotional connection to the music.
The Andromeda 2020 exemplifies this perfectly; just about every time I listen to it I'm left in a state of awe when I finally have to put it away. The cavernous majesty of the IER-Z1R, and technical brilliance of the A12t also deliver in their own ways.

I have this theory from two channel days that what is most enjoyable is a change in sound.
This is where a collection of headphones and IEMs is worthwhile, you can keep tricking your ears with changes in tuning, driver configurations etc, which keeps them all sounding fresh.

Delaying the inevitable upgrade and events where the wife notices it.
Where there's a will there's a way. :wink:

Jul 16, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #1,429 of 1,469
It’s as if you have laid out my notes of what I might buy down the road :). I’m also curious how the VE Ext performs given its driver configuration. I also have eyeballed the EE Odin. I’m in no rush, but intellectually, what I wonder is whether these higher end IEMs will retain the emotional connection to the music. That element is very mysterious to me and when something produces that sound - it’s like gold. The 3DT and R6 2020 deliver on that front in spades.

The advice from your digital mentor resonates. I have this theory from two channel days that what is most enjoyable is a change in sound. Then the mind starts to get used to the sound and it doesn’t have the same effect, so one looks for the next change for excitement. That’s one reason I’m tuning and doing small things. Delaying the inevitable upgrade and events where the wife notices it. But I actually love the journey and learning about the science of great sound - what created emotional connection and a sense of a musical event.

The cool thing about IEMs as good gear costs less than I paid for some power cables….
@DMS3 TV described (others before him probably but I heard it from him first) the ‘hedonic cycle’. We experience pleasure (a dopamine rush to the pleasure center) when we get that ‘emotional connection’ to the music especially when it appeals to us in our preferences (what is ‘beauty’ to you may not be to me). After a while, we habituate to that particular configuration and it no longer produces the ‘rush’ we first experienced. As @Neweymatt says, DMS also advised to acquire a small stable of IEMs and Headphones that token different preferences eg some for perfect bass another for detail retrieval— and rotate between them regularly. This will keep the dopamine flowing, and keep you from getting bored with whatever is your ‘end game’ (for now),

Given your preferences, you might find the next level up to be solid bass (both impact and texture), forward present mids that aren’t shouty, and sparkly extended treble - hence I went for Monatch Mk2 but also considered Moondrop Variations, UM MEST and Kinera Nanna. @Precogvision has a thread on this forum you might find helpful- he has reviewed in detail/ranked a large number of IEMs as has @crinacle (they both have their own sites off the forum too)- also the major IEM makers have their own HEAD-Fi threads ie Empire Ears, Thieaudio- where newly released gear is reviewed. And if you search for a particular IEM on Goolgle eg - “3DT Head-Fi reviews” you will find a series of head-fi commissioned reviews for all but the newest gear (as it takes a while to get those done). Hanging out on the threads for a while will help you connect to others with your same prefs and (hopefully) make judicious choices as you move forward. (Welcome to the Forum btw if no one has said that yet!)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #1,430 of 1,469
@DMS3 TV described (others before him probably but I heard it from him first) the ‘hedonic cycle’. We experience pleasure (a dopamine rush to the pleasure center) when we get that ‘emotional connection’ to the music especially when it appeals to us in our preferences (what is ‘beauty’ to you may not be to me). After a while, we habituate to that particular configuration and it no longer produces the ‘rush’ we first experienced. As @Neweymatt says, DMS also advised to acquire a small stable of IEMs and Headphones that token different preferences eg some for perfect bass another for detail retrieval— and rotate between them regularly. This will keep the dopamine flowing, and keep you from getting bored with whatever is your ‘end game’ (for now),

Given your preferences, you might find the next level up to be solid bass (both impact and texture), forward present mids that aren’t shouty, and sparkly extended treble - hence I went for Monatch Mk2 but also considered Moondrop Variations, UM MEST and Kinera Nanna. @Precogvision has a thread on this forum you might find helpful- he has reviewed in detail/ranked a large number of IEMs as has @crinacle (they both have their own sites off the forum too)- also the major IEM makers have their own HEAD-Fi threads ie Empire Ears, Thieaudio- where newly released gear is reviewed. And if you search for a particular IEM on Goolgle eg - “3DT Head-Fi reviews” you will find a series of head-fi commissioned reviews for all but the newest gear (as it takes a while to get those done). Hanging out on the threads for a while will help you connect to others with your same prefs and (hopefully) make judicious choices as you move forward. (Welcome to the Forum btw if no one has said that yet!)
Great comments on this thread. Thanks @jlemaster1957, @Neweymatt, @aleopold et al. Interestingly, my "go to" IEM has been the above referenced Kinera Nanna which I loved for many months, but after hearing 3DT at CanJam New York I bought it. Perhaps it's new toy syndrome but 3DT got the head time so I listed Nanna for sale (great deal here if anyone is interested, sorry for shameless plug). It's not that 3DT is a better IEM than Nanna but rather the quest for a different sound. I don't mind this at all, it's a fun journey and as I try new things I can enable others to do same by listing prior gear at affordable prices. Long-live head-fi!!!

Jul 16, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #1,431 of 1,469

I would like to add to this very excellent advice of having a stable of IEMs to rotate. Wonderful idea which I pursue later on. I just stumbled on another way to make things new.

Normally I listen critically to a set of favorite tracks that I know inside and out. It helps me appreciate the 3DT, because I have a hifi reference point from two channel days.

But these last few hours I played tracks that I don’t know as well and haven’t heard for years, or most of my baseline is iTunes quality. The following tracks were jaw dropping and are worth hearing if you haven’t already. I would love any favorite musical suggestions that sound great with the 3DT that anyone shares.

These have wide sound stages, immersive sound that wraps around the head, present and dense vocals, and amazing layering/musicality.

Dire straits, private investigations: All the road running, money for nothing, on every street, sultans of swing, so far away.

Fleetwood Mac, Rumors: Dreams

Simon and Garfunkel, best of: Scarborough fair, the boxer.

Eagles, greatest: desperado, tequila sunrise

Pearl Jam, Ten: Black, Jeremy

I have dozens of others but those gave me my hedonistic rush for today :) enjoy

Jul 24, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #1,432 of 1,469
I've spent a good portion of the Day listening to my 3DT with 2 of the new prototype cables coming out from Effect Audio as their "Signature Line". What is called P37 (prototype 37) is assumed to be a litz silver but in truth we weren't told the composition and P38 we assume is a litz copper of two different stands and weaves. In a nutshell both of these cables have convinced me to take my 3DT off the classifieds and to keep them. Both cables give some nice meat to the bass while retaining clarity. The P37 has tight, controlled bass, high resolution and extended sparkling highs with tremendous clarity while the P38 is a smoother cable with liquid vocals warmer tonality and less extension in the treble without sacrificing detail. On the 3DT it removes some of the sizzle, bass has lots of note weight, stage feels wide, mids have a bigger focus. Treble is about average in sharpness. So I would say the new EA Signature Copper (name hasn't been revealed yet) which should be released in the next couple of weeks, is the PERFECT pairing for the 3DT for those who found it it be a little sibilant and who desired (like me) a little lift to the bass.

For me, the silver cable(37)- Still offers good bass notes but less weight and more detail & control, mids remain clear and detailed but treble has more upper end sparkle. Staging about average but with the Silver 37, on the 3DT the staging has more of a holographic effect, it's hard to describe it. It's airier and more spacious where the 38 is more intimate. It's quite noticeable. Really. Vocals seem to have more clarity and come through super clean. I love this pairing because I LOVE clarity, detail and resolution and never found the 3DT sibilant and was never bothered by what many described as the 6K spike.

I'm listening with Copper 38 right now to Derek Trucks Band "Songlines" and it's absolutely divine, deep and soulfully moving on the 3DT. I cant decide which I prefer. I can say if you want a little more lower end heft and a little less extension up top, 38 Copper works wonders with this IEM. If you like the sparkle and want a little more Bass dowwn low, 37 Silver is the one. I'm super impressed with both.

I'll be shooting them out on my MEXT next!

I took a few pics of my own, but there are much better photographers in the EA Thread so I borrowed a few pics from there together with my own to share here.
I want to thank Effect Audio and in particular @JordonEA for inviting me to participate in their "Blind Feedback" prototype market research.
Is the copper cable you reference the Ares S?

Jul 24, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #1,433 of 1,469
Jul 24, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #1,435 of 1,469
Is the copper cable you reference the Ares S?
Love this advice. We audiophiles often think new gear is the solution- but maybe we just need to go back to those old favs we haven’t listened to for a while and hear them woth ‘new ears’! Great stuff!

Jul 26, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #1,436 of 1,469
Love this advice. We audiophiles often think new gear is the solution- but maybe we just need to go back to those old favs we haven’t listened to for a while and hear them woth ‘new ears’! Great stuff!
I had an interesting experience today with the 3DT and some of the challenges of describing an IEM’s “sound”.

I have two very cheap cables: Tripowin grey and Zoe.

With the grey, I would describe the 3DT as forward, warm, smooth, intimate, and a soundstage that almost wraps around the head. Meaning instruments that are normally in the background are forward and behind the ears. There isn’t much depth, just envelopment and a wall of sound. I enjoyed it but it’s not how I think the music “should” sound.

The Zoe is controlled, more 3D and proper imaging. Great localization and timbre. More Detailed, but just enough sibilance to bother me…. This is especially true on lesser recordings where the digital nasties are more audible to the point of wanting to skip the song. But on a good recording, the sound is wonderful.

So based on just these two cables I would describe the 3DT very differently. Which makes me call into question any review about an IEM when the presentation can differ so much based on a cable choice.

Of course I intend to buy a proper cable soon but I am very surprised how different the sound is with the two balanced cables I own… The positive side of this is cable rolling with the same IEM gives diversity of sound and brings back some of the freshness that can be lost to prolonged exposure and desensitization of sound.

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #1,437 of 1,469
I had an interesting experience today with the 3DT and some of the challenges of describing an IEM’s “sound”.

I have two very cheap cables: Tripowin grey and Zoe.

With the grey, I would describe the 3DT as forward, warm, smooth, intimate, and a soundstage that almost wraps around the head. Meaning instruments that are normally in the background are forward and behind the ears. There isn’t much depth, just envelopment and a wall of sound. I enjoyed it but it’s not how I think the music “should” sound.

The Zoe is controlled, more 3D and proper imaging. Great localization and timbre. More Detailed, but just enough sibilance to bother me…. This is especially true on lesser recordings where the digital nasties are more audible to the point of wanting to skip the song. But on a good recording, the sound is wonderful.

So based on just these two cables I would describe the 3DT very differently. Which makes me call into question any review about an IEM when the presentation can differ so much based on a cable choice.

Of course I intend to buy a proper cable soon but I am very surprised how different the sound is with the two balanced cables I own… The positive side of this is cable rolling with the same IEM gives diversity of sound and brings back some of the freshness that can be lost to prolonged exposure and desensitization of sound.
There are many ‘cable believers’ on the Forum, some very highly respected and others just as highly respected who say cables cannot possibly change IEM FR or SQ. I am of the former group, having heard Eletech Socrates make a very big and positive impact on EE Legend X (more bass texture, more forward ‘musical’ mids) whereas the Effect Audio Ares 2 made Final A4000 much worse (shouty and sibilant in the upper mids/low treble) in both cases cp to stock cable. Pairing/synergy is key in my experience- a high end cable may improve an IEM or otherwise and -though less often- a lower end cable can make a difference too, as you describe. It’s always safe to share our experiences, but be prepared for critique. As ever YMMV is a good caveat.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #1,438 of 1,469
Fantastic. Very reasonable price so it has risen to the top of my target list :). Thanks for posting the detailed review.
Quick update, I received the Ares S and have burned it in around 30-40 hours during which the bass notably opened up. I spent a few hours with it today and definitely feel it boosts the bass, widens the sound stage, and improved some of the layering relative to my SPC cable. It smoothed the sibilance in the treble that would irritate me on some recordings.

However I wasn’t getting the “magic effect” which creates chills when listening to voices. After a couple of hours of tuning I brought those chills back with 0.5 db boost in 2k, 4k, and 8k frequencies. That allowed the voices to be more present and forward which is what i enjoy the most. Now it’s great all around.

Will put more time into it later but seems to be a nice addition with the 3DT at a reasonable price.

Aug 17, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #1,439 of 1,469

Sony IER-M9 (5BA) vs. UM 3DT (3DD) with Tanchjim filter

Sony IEMs are often highlighted for their congeniality with classical music, but their latest models (now becoming a bit aged), especially the IER-Z1R and M9, are known to be very responsive from low to ultra high frequencies, so they can be played almost any genres with great finesse.

For example, when listening to jazz vocals with the M9, I am impressed by the fact that the bass and piano have a thick bass range and bring out a low-end with a sense of sound pressure. Moreover, since the range of the vocal has a clear projection while reproducing the weighty bass, the texture of the important male and female vocal range such as intonation and treble overtones are without a hint of cloudiness. If you listen to an IEM for longer session, I recommend that you experience the sound of the M9 as it provides a very relaxing yet detailed listen.

Compared to the M9, the 3DT is like a grand piano as it brings out a sense of scale and dynamics that approaches a big concert venue. This triple dynamic driver array has certain je ne sais quoi about the sound output and configuration that allows them to be vibrant, alive, engaging, and highly expressive, yet at the same time to sound neutrally balanced with almost complete freedom from overt colourations. Switching to the M9, it almost sounds flat, lifeless and down right intimate in scale for about 2-3 mins until you start to understand, assimilate and subsequently appreciate its smooth yet highly polished tuning with excellent midrange and exemplary treble extension and articulation.

So for me, the 3DT does an excellent job of conveying a sense of real instruments performing within a real space whereas M9 does great job portraying non-acoustic instruments and vocals in a recording studio. Both can pick up ambient and spatial cues found in good recordings in an uncommonly vivid and believable way. I find them quite complimentary to each other and therefore are not in any direct competition.

I recently repurchased both the 3DT and IER-M9 and wanted to share some of my own thoughts in my comparison of the two. I previously posted my review of the IER-M9 here: in short, I think the IER-M9 are a masterfully and tastefully tuned IEM, served alongside some of the best technicalities I've had the privilege of experiencing in any IEM I've owned or auditioned, including the venerable IER-Z1R and Campfire Andromeda.

Sound Chain

Tidal on Mac > JDS Atom DAC > JDS Atom Amp > UM 3DT [ 3mm micropore tape mod, Azla Sedna Light ] / Sony IER-M9 [ Sony Hybrid ]

• Transparency, clarity, and detail retrieval are surprisingly excellent on the 3DT. I certainly don’t feel like I’m sacrificing all that much at all coming from the IER-M9.
  • The 3DT truly excels at micro-contrast, micro- and macro-dynamics, and textural nuance. In this respect, I think the 3DT is simply incommensurably superior to the IER-M9.
  • The 3DT is definitely a more ‘fun’, V-shaped tuning, with significantly greater sub-bass and lower- and mid-treble presence.
  • The 3DT also excels and surpasses the IER-M9 in terms of tonal richness and timbral accuracy. Note that I am not talking here about tonal balance or tonal accuracy (i.e. neutrality).
  • The IER-M9 stills excels in tonal balance. In this regard, it is quite simply superlative.
  • Subjectively, I find the 3DT to be, again, incommensurably more engaging. To my ears, it the 3DT provides a positively visceral experience.
  • Staging wise, the IER-M9 is distinctly wider. I would characterise the IER-M9’s staging as elliptical, being wider than it is tall or deep. On the other hand, staging is narrower in width on the 3DT, but its dimensions are distinctly rounded, and therefore perceptually more natural to my ears.
  • Presentation wise, the IER-M9 is certainly more spacious and expansive, with much greater space between notes.
  • At the same time, the 3DT strikes as being distinctly more open sounding, owing likely to its venting.
@surfgeorge previously provided a comparison of the 3DT and IER-M9 too over in the IER-M9 thread and I am in agreement with much of his thoughts.

I currently have my 3DT listed in the Classifieds, under the assumption that I was going to 'upgrade' to the IER-M9. Having the IER-M9 in my hands again, I now find myself strongly inclined to keep the 3DT.

A full review and comparisons to the JVC HA-FDX1 can be found here.

Bravo, @UniqueMelody.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #1,440 of 1,469
I recently repurchased both the 3DT and IER-M9 and wanted to share some of my own thoughts in my comparison of the two. I previously posted my review of the IER-M9 here: in short, I think the IER-M9 are a masterfully and tastefully tuned IEM, served alongside some of the best technicalities I've had the privilege of experiencing in any IEM I've owned or auditioned, including the venerable IER-Z1R and Campfire Andromeda.

Sound Chain

Tidal on Mac > JDS Atom DAC > JDS Atom Amp > UM 3DT [ 3mm micropore tape mod, Azla Sedna Light ] / Sony IER-M9 [ Sony Hybrid ]

• Transparency, clarity, and detail retrieval are surprisingly excellent on the 3DT. I certainly don’t feel like I’m sacrificing all that much at all coming from the IER-M9.
  • The 3DT truly excels at micro-contrast, micro- and macro-dynamics, and textural nuance. In this respect, I think the 3DT is simply incommensurably superior to the IER-M9.
  • The 3DT is definitely a more ‘fun’, V-shaped tuning, with significantly greater sub-bass and lower- and mid-treble presence.
  • The 3DT also excels and surpasses the IER-M9 in terms of tonal richness and timbral accuracy. Note that I am not talking here about tonal balance or tonal accuracy (i.e. neutrality).
  • The IER-M9 stills excels in tonal balance. In this regard, it is quite simply superlative.
  • Subjectively, I find the 3DT to be, again, incommensurably more engaging. To my ears, it the 3DT provides a positively visceral experience.
  • Staging wise, the IER-M9 is distinctly wider. I would characterise the IER-M9’s staging as elliptical, being wider than it is tall or deep. On the other hand, staging is narrower in width on the 3DT, but its dimensions are distinctly rounded, and therefore perceptually more natural to my ears.
  • Presentation wise, the IER-M9 is certainly more spacious and expansive, with much greater space between notes.
  • At the same time, the 3DT strikes as being distinctly more open sounding, owing likely to its venting.
@surfgeorge previously provided a comparison of the 3DT and IER-M9 too over in the IER-M9 thread and I am in agreement with much of his thoughts.

I currently have my 3DT listed in the Classifieds, under the assumption that I was going to 'upgrade' to the IER-M9. Having the IER-M9 in my hands again, I now find myself strongly inclined to keep the 3DT.

A full review and comparisons to the JVC HA-FDX1 and summary thoughts vis the FiiO FD5 and Moondrop Blessing: 2 Dusk can be found here.

Bravo, @UniqueMelody.
Affirm all of this. Recently started to use a convolution file in the Hiby R8 supplied by @Joe Bloggs (for non-MQA files) and found this greatly impacted the 3DTs staging- all to say that DAP or DAC/Amp pairing with 3DT can affect this element of this setz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back