Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
Feb 6, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #451 of 1,469
Putting this out to this motley community. I’m flummoxed, have a possible answer, but want feedback....
3DT had a narrow upper register with Hiby R5 & Cayin N3pro. This, after ‘burn in’, both SE and balanced.
Picked up Shanling m6pro. 3DT sounds marvelous. No more treble congestion whatsoever. Listening 4.4 balanced.
Power to drive 3DT was my first idea. However, N3pro power specs are superior to m6pro, and R5 is basically equivalent.
How to account for this?
Could DACs alone be the answer? R5 uses ESS, I believe, and it is a budget dap. N3pro also uses AK but a few models older than m6pro. Recall, N3pro has nice tube options, too.
Is it fair to say that something in m6pro design/implementation makes for this, to me, startling improvement in sound?
And it’s not only 3DT sounds better, all my iems do. Thanks

Yeah. The better the source, the more notable improvements you'll here. I went from my DX150 with a 2.5 mm connection to my HiBy R6 Pro with a 4.4 mm connection and the differences were noticeable. The 3DT was overall resolving and more detailed with the R6 Pro. On the other hand, the 3DT with the DX150 was slightly more organic sounding. The air became a bit warmer, but the details remained the same.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #452 of 1,469
Yeah. The better the source, the more notable improvements you'll here. I went from my DX150 with a 2.5 mm connection to my HiBy R6 Pro with a 4.4 mm connection and the differences were noticeable. The 3DT was overall resolving and more detailed with the R6 Pro. On the other hand, the 3DT with the DX150 was slightly more organic sounding. The air became a bit warmer, but the details remained the same.
The scenario I described is rather a night/day difference. I’m really in disbelief about it, tho to my ears there’s no question. Goes to show, can’t judge a quality iem based on one dap alone. Jeez, to think I let Hero & SA6 slip away. Wonder what I missed out on....Either way, 3DT sounds brilliant paired with m6pro. Cheers

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #453 of 1,469
Putting this out to this motley community. I’m flummoxed, have a possible answer, but want feedback....
3DT had a narrow upper register with Hiby R5 & Cayin N3pro. This, after ‘burn in’, both SE and balanced.
Picked up Shanling m6pro. 3DT sounds marvelous. No more treble congestion whatsoever. Listening 4.4 balanced.
Power to drive 3DT was my first idea. However, N3pro power specs are superior to m6pro, and R5 is basically equivalent.
How to account for this?
Could DACs alone be the answer? R5 uses ESS, I believe, and it is a budget dap. N3pro also uses AK but a few models older than m6pro. Recall, N3pro has nice tube options, too.
Is it fair to say that something in m6pro design/implementation makes for this, to me, startling improvement in sound?
And it’s not only 3DT sounds better, all my iems do. Thanks

Try it again on pure Tube mode, unbalanced...

Feb 7, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #454 of 1,469
20210204_110331.jpg

This Penon Audio Cable makes the fit feel more natural. However, I don't see a listing for it on Penon-Official.
Just curious, Can you sleep with them in?

Feb 7, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #456 of 1,469
Wearing mine in bed rn and I can't lie they are big as crap. Way bigger than the Volt which IMO is big as well. I can't imagine sleeping on my side with them in but I guess you could sleep with them if u lay on your back
WOW, now that worries me!!. I am witing for mine to arrive next week and do hope they are not too big for me!! I have the ISN H40 and they are in size the limit my ears can handle. :cold_sweat:

Feb 7, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #457 of 1,469
WOW, now that worries me!!. I am witing for mine to arrive next week and do hope they are not too big for me!! I have the ISN H40 and they are in size the limit my ears can handle. :cold_sweat:
Yeah I don't mean to scare you but they're the biggest iem I will ever own

On the bright side, that's literally about the only downside. Great iem especially at $400

Feb 9, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #460 of 1,469
Anyone know thr nozzle size? Trying to order tips

Feb 10, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #463 of 1,469
So been going back and forth with them and the Clairvoyance. I read somewhere (maybe here?) that these actually sound better than the Clairvoyance. Yeah, they don't. A and B, the Clair is wider and more resolving, and I find it fits a bit better. Medium double flange spin fit seems to work best for me on these, but the large nozzle size makes them a bit tight for me. They are slightly bassier than the Clairs, so bassheads (of which I am one) will enjoy that aspect, but overall clarity def goes to the Clair. Still going to keep these for a couple more days to A and B some more and try some new tips I ordered, but Clair seems to be the overall winner. I think these compare closer to the L9 than to the Clair.

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #464 of 1,469
So been going back and forth with them and the Clairvoyance. I read somewhere (maybe here?) that these actually sound better than the Clairvoyance. Yeah, they don't. A and B, the Clair is wider and more resolving, and I find it fits a bit better. Medium double flange spin fit seems to work best for me on these, but the large nozzle size makes them a bit tight for me. They are slightly bassier than the Clairs, so bassheads (of which I am one) will enjoy that aspect, but overall clarity def goes to the Clair. Still going to keep these for a couple more days to A and B some more and try some new tips I ordered, but Clair seems to be the overall winner. I think these compare closer to the L9 than to the Clair.
As much as the idea of punching over respective price range is widely circulating in this hobby, I am yet to come across a iem which actually does that. The price differences are there for a reason.

Feb 10, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #465 of 1,469
As much as the idea of punching over respective price range is widely circulating in this hobby, I am yet to come across a iem which actually does that. The price differences are there for a reason.
Well, it depends on one’s preferences and priorities. For me, I like the 3DT more than the MEST overall for a lot of my music. I also find it to be the most detailed of any IEM I’ve heard thus far, and hear subtle details that I’ve never heard before on my well know tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back