Unhappy with a custom IEM fit. What are the options?
Jul 18, 2017 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

lostman

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all. I have a question about IEM fit. I bought JH13v2 last October and ever since I wasn't 100% happy with the fit. I sent them for adjustment once and that improved things slightly but I still can't wear them for longer than 1h, maybe 2; my ears start to hurt. So I haven't been using them as much as I'd like.

Is there anything that can be done? Is it possible to re-shell? Either as another custom or perhaps as universal?

I emailed JH Audio Repairs while back but they never got back to me. Also, tried to sign up for JH Crew loyalty program few times and that didn't go anywhere either; let's say their customer support is... lacking.

The sound is amazing, it is the fit that's the problem.

Any advice?

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 7
Third party reshells with another company seems to be the best bet. Depending on where you're from, the companies include InEarz (US), Perfect Seal (US), Null Audio (Singapore), and Lear (Hong Kong). Some companies even reshell to universal upon request.

Jul 19, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 7
The problem may be in the original ear mold. I went to a very good audiologist who did a great job on my ear mold: Frances Miranda in Los Angeles. I've done two ear molds with her and the fit on my CIEMs were fantastic.

Try going to another audiologist and use the new ear molds to reshell your current CIEM with a third party company.

CJ

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for useful info! Is there any company that would reshell using silicone and not acrylic? If I end up going that route it could be interesting to try!

As far as I know, silicon might change the sound properties of the IEM if the original shell was acrylic. But no harm asking more about it though. In this case your best bet is contacting Mike from Perfect Seal bcos he can reshell in both silicon and acrylic. CustomArt used to do it but not anymore.

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #7 of 7
If you can wear it for an hour at a time you likely do not require a reshell, but rather a fit adjustment. Acrylic shells can be sanded and buffed to make minor adjustments in fit. I would contact JH regarding fit adjustment and tell them exactly where the pain is coming from.

It will likely be cheaper than getting new impressions and reshelling with no guarantee that your new shells will fit any better or even as good

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back