Under 800$, closed back, good for metal recommandations
Jun 2, 2015 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

flipper2gv

100+ Head-Fier
So, I have the HE-500. Love them. They're loud. They annoy my girlfriend (sometimes, but I wish to be less of a pain she has to endure often).

So far, the options I saw all seem to have a flaw:

TH600: They actually leak and they're fragile
MDR-Z7: Too slow (maybe too warm?)
ATH-W1000z: Too slow
EL-8c: Too little soundstage for non metal music, artificial sounding apparently.

The obvious other option is the Alpha Dogs, but they will be discontinued soon. So, unless Mr Speakers come up with a new line of closed back phones, it seems I'm out of luck.

Unless one of you have a recommandations or can change my mind on one of the headphones.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 22
I have the TH-600's, Alpha Dogs, HE-500, and EL-8C.

Th 600's leak badly imo, almost as bad as open cans to me but they sound very sweet. I've heard others say the leakage isn't so bad though. 
Alpha Dogs cost $499 now ($100 off), and Mr. Speakers is still selling them. Leakage is not as bad as the TH-600. 
EL-8C has a better soundstage than HE-500 and isn't artificial sounding. 

TH-600's and Alpha Dogs are very warm, TH-600 has the best soundstage out of the 4 but all 4 have awesome soundstage. EL-8c is a lot brighter than the TH-600 and Alpha Dog and if directly comparing them Alpha Dog and TH-600 *may^ sound slightly dull in the highs. 

EL-8C has the best Isolation/leakage by a big margin. Your girlfriend won't hear the music as much. EL-8 are also very loud, louder than the TH-600, Alpha Dog, AND the HE-500. 

The EL-8C has more *energy* than the others, but the bass is a bit less than the other 3. 

EL-8C is really easy to power (30 ohms) and you can listen to music on your smartphone without an amp. 

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 22
I have the TH-600's, Alpha Dogs, HE-500, and EL-8C.

Th 600's leak badly imo, almost as bad as open cans to me but they sound very sweet. I've heard others say the leakage isn't so bad though. 
Alpha Dogs cost $499 now ($100 off), and Mr. Speakers is still selling them. Leakage is not as bad as the TH-600. 
EL-8C has a better soundstage than HE-500 and isn't artificial sounding. 

TH-600's and Alpha Dogs are very warm, TH-600 has the best soundstage out of the 4 but all 4 have awesome soundstage. EL-8c is a lot brighter than the TH-600 and Alpha Dog and if directly comparing them Alpha Dog and TH-600 *may^ sound slightly dull in the highs. 

EL-8C has the best Isolation/leakage by a big margin. Your girlfriend won't hear the music as much. EL-8 are also very loud, louder than the TH-600, Alpha Dog, AND the HE-500. 

The EL-8C has more *energy* than the others, but the bass is a bit less than the other 3. 

EL-8C is really easy to power (30 ohms) and you can listen to music on your smartphone without an amp. 

Well that was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a ton!

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 22
Consider gettnig a Paradox or Paradox Slant. Luis makes really good headphones and besides the Smeggy Thunderpants (they pop up for sale rarely), there's few other headphones as balanced and good for every genre, including metal obviously, as the Paradox. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 22
Metal sounded ok on my Alpha Dogs but I actually preferred my Beyer T5p's (which can be found relatively cheap used). I also liked how it sounded on the Ultrasone Signature Pro. For cheaper closed-back options, I think the Sony MDR-1A sounds good with almost anything you throw at it. Probably the best sounding right now for me are ADL H128's... but you have to buy direct and it has "construction problems" so I hesitate to recommend it. If you know people that have any of these, it never hurts to try them first.

Good luck.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 22
  Metal sounded ok on my Alpha Dogs but I actually preferred my Beyer T5p's (which can be found relatively cheap used). I also liked how it sounded on the Ultrasone Signature Pro. For cheaper closed-back options, I think the Sony MDR-1A sounds good with almost anything you throw at it. Probably the best sounding right now for me are ADL H128's... but you have to buy direct and it has "construction problems" so I hesitate to recommend it. If you know people that have any of these, it never hurts to try them first.

Good luck.

I have the V-Moda m100 with the XL pads, and they cover the job for now. I was looking for a more high end pair than this without going straight to the LCD-XC.

That's why I don't consider the MDR-1A or the FSP.

One reserve I have against the el-8c is the glued pads and the whole thing doesn't give the feel it is super sturdy, I can't point my finger on to why though.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #10 of 22
  I have the V-Moda m100 with the XL pads, and they cover the job for now. I was looking for a more high end pair than this without going straight to the LCD-XC.

One reserve I have against the el-8c is the glued pads and the whole thing doesn't give the feel it is super sturdy, I can't point my finger on to why though.

Well, some people like the HE400i more than the HE-500, and I liked the FSP (and MT220) more than the HE400i. I also like my $85 Sony MDR-7506 more than the HD 700. Personal preference is all that really matters. Don't assume that more expensive is always better.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #11 of 22

Well, some people like the HE400i more than the HE-500, and I liked the FSP (and MT220) more than the HE400i. I also like my $85 Sony MDR-7506 more than the HD 700. Personal preference is all that really matters. Don't assume that more expensive is always better.

True, but I'm a shallow man who likes big, comfortable headphones. The FSP looks a bit too small for what I'm looking for and might not have the level of details I want too. They do measure very well though.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #12 of 22
I would go to MrSpeaker's site and get yourself a pair of Alpha Primes. The Primes are a great headphone with good bass, lush mids and spot on treble; all of which create a stunning holographic soundstage. The sound signature is natural and very revealing.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 22
  True, but I'm a shallow man who likes big, comfortable headphones. The FSP looks a bit too small for what I'm looking for and might not have the level of details I want too. They do measure very well though.

True. Even with my small ears, the FSP was a tight fit. (The MT220 was very comfortable, though.) And it's not a detail monster either.

Although it's one of my favorite headphones, I think it measures pretty badly, compared to something like STAX. (click)

I would go to MrSpeaker's site and get yourself a pair of Alpha Primes. The Primes are a great headphone with good bass, lush mids and spot on treble; all of which create a stunning holographic soundstage. The sound signature is natural and very revealing.

The thread title says under $800. The Alpha Prime is $1,000.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #14 of 22
True. Even with my small ears, the FSP was a tight fit. (The MT220 was very comfortable, though.) And it's not a detail monster either.

Although it's one of my favorite headphones, I think it measures pretty badly, compared to something like STAX. (click)

The alpha primes are on sale , on MrSpeaker's site and go for $899 just a hundred over budget.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #15 of 22

Well, to tell you the truth, I like the MDR-1A better than the LCD-XC's.
Those are big and heavy as hell and the sound (for the price) didn't wow me at all...
Impressions:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/691151/audeze-lcd-xc/1215#post_10519340

Don't let money dictate what sounds good, cause the truth is you might find a cheap alternative that you will prefer over everything...

Prime is $800 now... --> https://mrspeakers.com/shop/alpha/alpha-prime-headphones/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back