under $200 dac/amp combo's for HD650's
Feb 14, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 10
There's at least a handful of folks using (or who have used) the E7/E9/HD650 combo.  Myself included.  In my opinion, it works very well, and I like the versatility of a 2-box solution versus a combined DAC/amp unit -- mainly due to connectivity.  I've noticed a lot of combined DAC/amp units in this price range don't give you the option of running an analog line in (for amp-only operation), or USB in/analog line-out (for DAC-only operation)... the only choice you get is digital in, amplified analog out.  Depending on your situation, this may or may not be important to you.  Oh, and I like the sound, too (disclaimer, it's the only dedicated headphone rig I've ever used).

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 10
I have the E7/E9 and just picked up HD650 a couple of days ago.  The amp has a couple hundred hours on it, but the 650s have only 25 or so.

I'm a bit unimpressed.  The combination leaves me thinking that there is a bunch more potential to be had from the 650s.  It could be that they just need some more time and I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm currently thinking SR-71b, iBasso PB2, or a desktop like Dark Voice, Woo, Graham Slee.

This is a newbie impression, though.

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 10
read this man: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/284835/review-of-the-little-dot-mkii-tube-headphone-amp-pre-amp

he used HD650s while testing that amp and its under $200 ($159). Plus its a tube amp
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #9 of 10
I ran my HD 650's through a Macerick DAC/Amp and found it good. Even better was when I used the Maverick as a DAC and fed it to the Little Dot MKIII fir amplification. Really nice. Start with the Mav D1 and add a tube amp later...or stay with just the D1 if youre satisfied.

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
I ran my HD 650's through a Macerick DAC/Amp and found it good. Even better was when I used the Maverick as a DAC and fed it to the Little Dot MKIII fir amplification. Really nice. Start with the Mav D1 and add a tube amp later...or stay with just the D1 if youre satisfied.

The D1 was actually developed and tested with the HD650 by Mavaudio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back