Undecided on Alessandros
Dec 1, 2006 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Hermitt

1000+ Head-Fier
I've made up my mind that i want the 'refined' atvantage of the Alessandro series phones. But I cannot make up my mind which one to get
blink.gif
I really LOVE the sound signature that I get with my portable setup, the iriver/pa2v2/e4s. It is right in your face like you are standing right onstage with the performance. Guitar riffs are awesome, you can hear the sticks striking the skins on the drums, everything. My hd595s sound like someone moved my to out in the 10th row or something
blink.gif
They are musical, clear, detailed, but sound farther away. They are great for kicking back and chilling out, but you have to really crank them up to get them to really move you.

I've read about everything i could find here, and it sounds like the grado rs-225 is one of the best cans for 'in your face' performances, and that the Alessandro series are more refined and not quite as harsh in the highs.

So, I am definately buying Alessandros... but what to get... MS-2 or MS-Pro?
confused.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've made up my mind that i want the 'refined' atvantage of the Alessandro series phones. But I cannot make up my mind which one to get
blink.gif
I really LOVE the sound signature that I get with my portable setup, the iriver/pa2v2/e4s. It is right in your face like you are standing right onstage with the performance. Guitar riffs are awesome, you can hear the sticks striking the skins on the drums, everything. My hd595s sound like someone moved my to out in the 10th row or something
blink.gif
They are musical, clear, detailed, but sound farther away. They are great for kicking back and chilling out, but you have to really crank them up to get them to really move you.

I've read about everything i could find here, and it sounds like the grado rs-225 is one of the best cans for 'in your face' performances, and that the Alessandro series are more refined and not quite as harsh in the highs.

So, I am definately buying Alessandros... but what to get... MS-2 or MS-Pro?
confused.gif

the Pro!

Dec 1, 2006 at 8:14 AM Post #4 of 20
Given that the Pros are well over twice the price of the 2s, I'm surprised that someone is seriously in the position of choosing between them. At $699 I would have thought that the Pros fall into that category of headphones where you'd definitely want to listen to them for a while before committing.

Dec 1, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given that the Pros are well over twice the price of the 2s, I'm surprised that someone is seriously in the position of choosing between them. At $699 I would have thought that the Pros fall into that category of headphones where you'd definitely want to listen to them for a while before committing.

Well when i get my xmas bonus, i will be able to afford the Pros. If i go for the 2s, then that just leaves me some extra money to buy some new dvds to watch/listen to
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 20
Why not also consider RS1 if you're considering the MSpro?
If you're cheaping out, get the SR225 and don't forget flats

Even cheaper, SR60

EVEN cheaper, KSC75

Dec 1, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #7 of 20
If it helps any, I mostly enjoy listening to electric guitar. In no paticular order -> Robin Trower, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Peter Frampton, Phil Lenott, Steve Morse, Joe Satriani, Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, SRV, ... etc.....

Dec 1, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #8 of 20
Since you use a PA2V2 for amping, I would suggest MS2i. I know it matches the SR325i surprisingly well , so I am pretty shure it will match the MS2i equally well. PA2V2 will not do justice to RS1 or MS-PRO in my opinion.

Dec 1, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Since you use a PA2V2 for amping, I would suggest MS2i. I know it matches the SR325i surprisingly well , so I am pretty shure it will match the MS2i equally well. PA2V2 will not do justice to RS1 or MS-PRO in my opinion.

Actually for now, I only use the pa2 for my portable as the output on my pc seems to drive my hd595s very well. But I am kind of waiting to hear the impressions on the Icarus DAC/AMP that a couple headfier's auditioned a little while back. It has 4 input choices and you can get 3 different DAC daughterboards to change the sound signature. I believe it also has balanced outputs in addition to the standard 1/4" out. It looks like the perfect companion to my pc
cool.gif
I think i am starting to lean more to the Pro, because i see so many people here on head-fi having a woody mod done to their Grados and the MS-Pro appears to come with very high quality cables and wood cups already.
rs1smile.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 20
I believe I have read every post ever written here in Head-Fi concerning the MS-Pro.

....and MS2i as well!!

(at least twice!)

And if the cost wasn't a consideration, the MS-Pro is invariably the clear winner!!

I am very fond of my MS2i, but...well....were I still a working engineer rather than a retired one....
tongue.gif

Seriously, if a compilation were taken of those who have heard both the MS2i and MS-Pro, the MS-Pro wins by a large margin.

Dec 1, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe I have read every post ever written here in Head-Fi concerning the MS-Pro.

....and MS2i as well!!

(at least twice!)

And if the cost wasn't a consideration, the MS-Pro is invariably the clear winner!!

I am very fond of my MS2i, but...well....were I still a working engineer rather than a retired one....
tongue.gif

Seriously, if a compilation were taken of those who have heard both the MS2i and MS-Pro, the MS-Pro wins by a large margin.

Thank you everyone who has added their insights, F107 .. I think you just about sealed it for me
wink.gif
My sights are surely set on the Pros now
rs1smile.gif
and as i look around me while sitting here in my den, seeing 'toys' such as my B&W monitors, Nakamichi (pre 90's when it was still good) gear, my $2100 HP computer monitor, a $1300 Steyr match air pistol, over $2k on camera gear..... etc... Dropping $700 on the Pros is not a problem
eggosmile.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...as i look around me while sitting here in my den, seeing 'toys' such as my B&W monitors, Nakamichi (pre 90's when it was still good) gear, my $2100 HP computer monitor, a $1300 Steyr match air pistol, over $2k on camera gear..... etc... Dropping $700 on the Pros is not a problem
eggosmile.gif

Good choice. I haven't heard the MS2i but absolute love my MS-Pros. IME, it's always prudent to get the best you can afford because later on you will most likely feel you should have went "all the way."

Here is a pic of my MS-Pros to seal the deal...
IMG_2820.jpg

Dec 1, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good choice. I haven't heard the MS2i but absolute love my MS-Pros. IME, it's always prudent to get the best you can afford because later on you will most likely feel you should have went "all the way."

Here is a pic of my MS-Pros to seal the deal...
IMG_2820.jpg

A SEAL?! That's not a SEAL it's an OPENER!! As in opening old wounds!! Makes me want to try again to figure out a way to update from my MS2i! That is without a doubt the best looking photo of an MS-Pro that I have ever seen!!

But knowing that there is not another MS-Pro in the whole wide world that looks that good...really helps!!
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back