[unboxing] KEF LS50 Wireless
Jan 15, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #151 of 344
oh my gosh...these KEFS are starting to make my jaw drop...and they have not even run in yet and are not sitting on very solid stands...can't wait for the Atacamas to arrive:)

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #153 of 344
My wife who knows nothing about hi-fi or common terminology sat down and took a listen to some Tin Hat Trio and her first words were..."they sound like they are playing in 3D"....

Yes, if you get them just right they are very holographic in their soundstage, I think due to the concentric tweeter they are so coherent, especially good for nearfield.

Jan 16, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #154 of 344
Yes, if you get them just right they are very holographic in their soundstage, I think due to the concentric tweeter they are so coherent, especially good for nearfield.

I believe the DSP and timing synchronization also plays a big part in producing such a clear image around the instruments and artists. No passive crossovers muddying the waters.

Jan 16, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #155 of 344
I believe the DSP and timing synchronization also plays a big part in producing such a clear image around the instruments and artists. No passive crossovers muddying the waters.

I only have the lowly un-powered passive LS50's, and they do not have the magic of this "DSP" you speak of, and I think they are just fine without it. :wink:

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #156 of 344
I only have the lowly un-powered passive LS50's, and they do not have the magic of this "DSP" you speak of, and I think they are just fine without it. :wink:

Blueshound at least you can colour the sound by adding harmonics with Tube gear. There's more options with crossover passive speakers to a degree.

Sound dispersion of the uniQ speaker is very impressive considering the price point of the speakers.

Everyone has different ears but sometimes Tube amps can create holographic sound that is unlike solid state amplification. Amplification with digital solid state transistors still has a different sound that separates from tube gear.

I guess attempting to make some form of analogy it's like comparing a pair of Senn HD800S vs Hifiman HE1000 v2.

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #158 of 344
After having read the reports about sound quality using the RCA inputs and an external DAC on these speakers I tried it myself and am pleasantly surprised by the results.

I am using a heavily modified Yulong DA8 DAC and definitely feel there is an improvement in detail retrieval and overall sound quality compared to using the USB input on these speakers.

I have no idea why this is the case, especially bearing in mind that the RCA analog inputs are resampled by the internal DAC of the speakers...

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #159 of 344
After having read the reports about sound quality using the RCA inputs and an external DAC on these speakers I tried it myself and am pleasantly surprised by the results.

I am using a heavily modified Yulong DA8 DAC and definitely feel there is an improvement in detail retrieval and overall sound quality compared to using the USB input on these speakers.

I have no idea why this is the case, especially bearing in mind that the RCA analog inputs are resampled by the internal DAC of the speakers...

i contacted kef on this as i was wanting to experiment with my chord mojo... impression i got is that
you can't override kef's internal dac as everything (even an analog signal) goes their their digital system.

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #160 of 344
Yes, I know the internal DAC cannot be bypassed but the result is as I reported...perhaps the external DAC being of high quality interprets the digital signal in its own special way and then sends it to the DAC of the KEFS which modifies it less...

Perhaps try with your Mojo and see what happens....

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #161 of 344
from kef:

(KEF America)

Jan 22, 11:09 EST

Good Morning,
There is no way to bypass the internal DAC on the speakers.
What specifically were you trying to accomplish--I can possibly
point you to another means of achieving your preferred sound.
Best,

Technical Services Agent

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #162 of 344
yes, I get the part that the RCA inputs are resampled by the DAC...what I wanted to know was if people have noticed differences when using an external DAC :ksc75smile:

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #163 of 344
yes, I get the part that the RCA inputs are resampled by the DAC...what I wanted to know was if people have noticed differences when using an external DAC :ksc75smile:

yes interesting...i sent kef this thread and got this f/u.
maybe i'll fool around with my chord mojo after all.

Good Afternoon,
It is possible that there is a very slight coloration of the music as interpreted by the DAC
the poster has placed in line in his set up. In either case, it will be represented with high fidelity
after having been interpreted by the internal DAC. Pleases bear in mind that ultimately, these
are subjective suggestions. There is nothing wrong with using an additional DAC, but whenever you
add components into the signal path you will add the potential for distortion.
Best,

KEF Technical Services Agent

Jan 23, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #164 of 344
from kef:

(KEF America)

Jan 22, 11:09 EST

Good Morning,
There is no way to bypass the internal DAC on the speakers.
What specifically were you trying to accomplish--I can possibly
point you to another means of achieving your preferred sound.
Best,

Technical Services Agent

I’m blown away that there is no bypass of the internal dac

I would assume there would be difficulties in colouring the source. I guess analyze and play with other external dac,

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #165 of 344
Hi there. I’ve a technical question which I can’t find answer anywhere online so far. I understand that all rca input into Kef Ls50 Wirless are going through the internal dac, is that mean that music play through turntable and cd will sound similar because signals are going through internal dac?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back