Unamped HD 598 vs Unamped HD 600
Dec 10, 2012 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Accelerator

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, 
I am going to buy a headphone and a dac for listening music with my computer.
After some research, I have found that quite a lots of ppl said that hud mx1 is a good choice with its price, and i believe that I am going to buy it as my dac.
At the same time, I have found that headphones of sennheiser are quite attractive to me(although most of my music are ACG, somehow I loved headphones of sennheirser so much), as my budget is under $300, I am considering getting a HD 598 or HD 600.
However, I don't have an amp for them, I want to ask which one of them will perform better if i don't have an amp but only hud mx1? Specially the perform of female voice and soundstage. (if there are any dac is better with sennheiser and the price is close to hud mx1, plz also suggest to me)
p.s sorry for my bad english, english isn't my first language.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:
 Senn 598. Even properly amped, I would prefer the 598 over the 600 for both of these traits - they are very much where the 598 shines. 

Quote:
agreed the 598s are sexy.

It mean 598 is better with my set up, or it is better for the kind of music that i listen to, or it means in general 598 is better than 600 even both of them are amped?

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

It mean 598 is better with my set up, or it is better for the kind of music that i listen to, or it means in general 598 is better than 600 even both of them are amped?

For vocals and soundstage the 598s are amazing. I think they will run the best un-amped. I also think amp the 598s sound better, but thats just a personal feeling about their sounds. Both are amazing headphones. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Better for the kind of music you listen to. Also, the 598 doesn't need an amp to have a pleasant sound, whereas the 600 benefits significantly.

It's interesting because the 598/600/650 all have somewhat different sound signatures, so it's not a traditional upgrade route where 650>600>598. There are people in all 3 camps that think one of the headphones is significantly better than the other 2. If you have a chance to listen to all 3 and find which you prefer, it'll end up being a great educational experience as to the type of sound you prefer. 

For female vocals/soundstage, there's nothing at the 598s price point that does it better IMO. Rest easy with your purchase and give your wallet a bit of breathing room!

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:
For vocals and soundstage the 598s are amazing. I think they will run the best un-amped. I also think amp the 598s sound better, but thats just a personal feeling about their sounds. Both are amazing headphones. 

Quote:
Better for the kind of music you listen to. Also, the 598 doesn't need an amp to have a pleasant sound, whereas the 600 benefits significantly.

It's interesting because the 598/600/650 all have somewhat different sound signatures, so it's not a traditional upgrade route where 650>600>598. There are people in all 3 camps that think one of the headphones is significantly better than the other 2. If you have a chance to listen to all 3 and find which you prefer, it'll end up being a great educational experience as to the type of sound you prefer. 

For female vocals/soundstage, there's nothing at the 598s price point that does it better IMO. Rest easy with your purchase and give your wallet a bit of breathing room!

Thanks for these comments, they really helped me to decide what to buy. I think I am going to get a 598 instead of a 600 now, hope that I can find a shop that allow me to try them before I really buy them. Once again, thank you very much. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Thanks for these comments, they really helped me to decide what to buy. I think I am going to get a 598 instead of a 600 now, hope that I can find a shop that allow me to try them before I really buy them. Once again, thank you very much. 

Awesome! Sad though you missed the deal they had for black friday/ cyber monday. They are back up to 250 now. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #9 of 23
I just ordered a pair of 598's today as a Christmas to myself from my better half.  Spent ages looking for some 558's to try, finally found a place that had a demo set, but none in stock. 
However amazon had both the 558 and 598 at the same price so I bit the bullet.  Hurry up Santa!

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:
I just ordered a pair of 598's today as a Christmas to myself from my better half.  Spent ages looking for some 558's to try, finally found a place that had a demo set, but none in stock. 
However amazon had both the 558 and 598 at the same price so I bit the bullet.  Hurry up Santa!

Wow Nice price! hope you enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back