UM3X Removable Cable Issue: Has It Been Resolved (Plus 2 Other Questions)
Jan 18, 2011 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MJ1764

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I want to purchase or at least try out the UM3X but am stuck between the RC or non-RC version (detachable or fixed cable, that is). Now, I know this has been hashed out at least a thousand times here on the forums, but I can't seem to find the answer to the following three questions so any help would be great. Here's what I want to know:

1. There were posts regarding issues with the cable and socket on the UM3X having problems (at least initially). Have these issues been fully resolved by Westone?
2. If the answer to 1 is yes, when was it fixed and are there any identifying markings (i.e. serial number series, etc.) that I should look for to know if my UM3X's are from before or after the fix was implemented?
3. Lastly (and here's the kind of subjective question), should I go for the detachable or not? I baby my audio equipment (especially the portable stuff) and have never had a failure (knock on wood) yet. My main concern is whether the sound is affected by the removable cable and whether the introduction of the junction on the housing has created a weak point in the design that will be more failure-prone. Note that I am not talking about the cable itself, but rather the socket area on the earpiece. Cables are fairly cheap to replace compared to an earphone (this is why I was looking at the RC model in the first place - don't want to have to chuck a good pair of earpieces because the cable died).

Anyway, these issues are what I am debating at the moment so any help would be really awesome.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 3
Well, guess I'll just go for the removable cable version then and trust in Westone's warranty/customer service in case anything goes wrong.

Thanks to anyone who read the original post.

Michael

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 3
See this link and photo: http://www.westone.com/warranty

Regarding Fixed vs Removable cables, bear in mind that practically all custom IEMs have removable cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back