Ultrasones - Best matches/synergies
Jul 1, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #16 of 33
My ALO-780 sound great out of my Solo SRG.

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried the Pro 900 with the compass amp section which is supposed to be ~80% of the C-2C (at least the unupdated version), and I think the compass amp does a pretty decent job with the Pro 900 except it does have kind of a small soundstage. With the Phoenix the soundstage is so big and imaging so complex I think it may be overkill for the closed-back Pro 900. People who have compared C-2C and compass amp section usually mention how the C-2C has better soundstaging than the compass amp, in which case it might be a good candidate for the Pro 900. If you ever consider using audio-gd's flavored hdam's, I highly recommend against it because the Pro 900 doesn't sound good at all with that kind of coloration.

Thanks - The C2C might be great indeed. The only thing that really worries me are the potential custom duties and VAT if I order it from Europe...

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #18 of 33
Seems like a lot of people get hit by customs when they order from audio-gd
frown.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #19 of 33
i don't have the swing and i don't have the pro900 neither but i have a headfive and a hfi780 and for this combo, i hope you're not a jazz/trumpet/miles davis fan. the treble is really harsh, it's so harsh that it's unlistenable. i had the amp and the source(cayin 15b) for a couple years so i'm sure it's not the amp nor the source. maybe it's my hfi780? not enough burn-in?

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like a lot of people get hit by customs when they order from audio-gd
frown.gif

Then it's definitely out of my list! Too bad...

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #21 of 33
Wait your location says nyc, audio-gd is a chinese company not european if that's what you were referring to hehe. People in the US don't get hit by customs buying from audio-gd I think, just occasionally people from europe and I think sometimes canada.

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #22 of 33
I am actually living in NYC for the time being but am coming back permanently to Europe in 2 months. I plan to purchase the amp from Europe (w/ a voltage of 220v).

Sorry for the misleading nickname - it's just that I did not think I would spend a long time on Head-fi when registering but I was all wrong... :)

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #24 of 33
Heed Canamp was a better match for the 750 then the 900. They require different amps. Pro 900 really doesn´t need an amp to give you even more bass volume. Many like me KeeS mod it to remove some Though it was great for movies and such since it give such a big soundstage for relatively little money and a bit extra bass for the LFE effects seldom hurts for movies. More for electronic music I found it to be a bit much. I have the Slee Solo and the 900 is better balanced with it. But the soundstaging is not impressive at all quite flat compared to the Canamp. May not be able to drive it properly??. Normally an amp with less bass emphasis should have a perceived wider soundstage you would believe.

Goldpoint headphone PRO I am still very curious about. To bad they are US based.

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #26 of 33
I haven't tried a PRO 900 yet. But might be able to try it by next week.

I had a PRO 700 and it paired very well with a pre-2001 SOLO Model I got very cheap. The mids where just fantastic with a tinged of warmth. But with my yamamoto HA-02. The tight BASS and the highs were stunning. Just wanted you to tap your toes. I also found the same on an ED9 I borrowed from a friend also using a Yamamoto as his main amp. The bass was totally on another level and the sound stage beats the PRO750.

OT: I am also fortunate to try the ED8 with my yamamoto. The pairing was good. But The ED8 seems to be tamer on the bottom end than the ED9. But I have to point out hat the ED 8 was just burned in for a few days. maybe pairing would be better after full burnin.

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rudistor.
The new Goldpoint Headphone Pro is an even better combination with my PRO900, but I am still waiting for the improved version of that amp.

Is that revised model number 2? First revision was scheduled to be out months ago right?

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that revised model number 2? First revision was scheduled to be out months ago right?

That revision turned out more elaborate than Arn had originally planned, so he had to have a new PCB made which has just arrived.
The first version (you could call it prototype now probably) is very good already and I have grown quite fond of it. The PRO900 (modded of course) and the Goldpoint is one of my top-synergy combinations.

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #29 of 33
Damn you are evil... Well I got some more money in my bank now will see... May pester you with some pms later on
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #30 of 33
I would suggest SPL Phonitor. I paired it up with ALO-780. It's great. In addition, i would like to state that SPL Phonitor is quite univeral and drive all headphones (Denon LA7000, AGK701, ALO-780, ...) that I have to its best SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back