Ultrasone Zino vs. HFI-15G
Jul 18, 2010 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ultrazino

Now known as HuoYuanJia
The Ultrasone Zino were the cans that brought me to this place (hence my name), but at that time I couldn't afford multiple head-/earphones and I needed isolation badly, so I sent them back. I do remember that I really liked their build quality (love the cord) and the looks. It was the first time I ever spent over 30 € on some ear-/headphones so I could not really judge sound quality. Even now, one year later, reviews of the Zino are very rare and also vary greatly.

But yesterday I saw a stand that tried to sell some Jazz music and it let you control an iPod Classic and listen to the ripped music via the Ultrasone HFI-15G. I was immediately impressed by the sound quality, although the sound was more bassy and warmer than how I remembered the Zino. In my memory, Zino's bass was punchier and less boomy (more like HFI-780, which I love) but I had only tried it with Cowon's D2.

I'm thinking about getting a portable (half-)open can for walks in the park and I wanted to know if anybody could compare the two. How similar are they - which one do you prefer? I'll also consider some cans by Grado which are insanely expensive in Germany, though.

Jul 18, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 3
I have never had the chance to hear the Zino, but I just recently purchased the HFI-15G.  While for most of this week I have just had them sitting on the player putting a few hours on them.  But I will say from my initial impressions I do like them quite a bit.  They do have a bit of boomy bass.  I will probably put a little more time on them by mid week.  I would say that from my initial listening though, these are going to be definite keepers for me. 

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 3
I just grabbed the Zino again from the Sale/Trade forum and I'll see if I can compare them.

The HFI-15G is awesome for simply relaxing. It's very very lightweight and is soft on the ears. It's usually not considered a portable headphone because you can't fold it, but it rests well on your shoulders. You won't have fun with it on a bus but it's a great companion for walk in the parks.
Sound was very smooth without sounding dark and S-Logic worked well for me.
Looks are okay - it has a little bit too much plastic and the name looks printed on cheaply but the headband is great.

I'll definitely recommend this one more often in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back