Ultrasone Signature DXP
Nov 6, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #76 of 141
Wow.. that is really cool to know! :) Has he listened to the DJ's as well maybe?

I received the DJ's in my lunch break, but I only had about 5 minutes to try them haha. Can't wait to come home and compare them. Inital impression was, when I was putting them on, the headband creaks.. does your DJ's do that as well? Also, when I ran my usual sine sweep, they seemed to have more peaks and valleys than the DXP which is really interesting.

Also, what I wanted to ask you: In your review about the DXP you've wrote that the DJ's have a more refined high-end and mid-range, but in this thread, you've stated that you actually prefer the midrange and treble of the DXP's? Am I missing something? :) Thank you so much in advance!

About the headband creaking, it is normal on some models for that to happen. If you're worried, Ultrasone has 5 years of warranty :)

As for the midrange and treble, they are indeed a bit more refined on Sig DJ, but I prefer DXP in this aspect, Sig DXP has more treble presence and energy, where Sig DJ is a little smooth in the treble and maybe a touch relaxed in the midrange for my tastes, this is why I personally prefer Sig DXP :)

Nov 6, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #77 of 141
Thanks a lot for your response again @Dobrescu George , really helpful! :)

upload_2018-11-6_21-39-55.jpeg

Above you can see a comparison (I quickly put together on my iPad) between the frequency graph of the DXP and DJ. What can be seen in the DXP graph, is that they seem to have less „abrupt valleys“ for the lack of a better term. :D otherwise put, the mindrange seems more even, the whole signature really. It’s very interesting to see the two graphs side by side for comparisons.

I still have to decide whether I am going to keep the DXP or DJ and I am pretty sure this won’t be an easy decision at all... they both have their Pros and Cons and both sound amazing. Thankfully I have about 30 days to decide. :‘D

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #78 of 141
I hope the double post is okay, but I will 99% sure decide to go with the DXPs instead of the DJs.

Also, I definitely prefer them over the Adam Audio Studio SP-5, which are just too bright for my ears and also lack a bit of bass quantity for my taste. The DXPs allow me to listen to music and mix/master as well, the SP-5 feel too "analytical" and the treble just becomes grating after a while, but the DXPs seem to have the perfect amount of anything really. Due to the 50mm driver size of the DXPs, the sound is also bigger in general to my ears.. after the first song I listened on the DXPs it was crystal clear for me that the SP-5 will go back. :)

I'm genuinely impressed by the overall sound quality of the DXPs. These will be my main drivers for years to come! Very happy with them. Everything you throw at them just sounds right.

I will try to write a dedicated review soon, after I've listened to them a lot more. :)

Nov 8, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #79 of 141
I hope the double post is okay, but I will 99% sure decide to go with the DXPs instead of the DJs.

Also, I definitely prefer them over the Adam Audio Studio SP-5, which are just too bright for my ears and also lack a bit of bass quantity for my taste. The DXPs allow me to listen to music and mix/master as well, the SP-5 feel too "analytical" and the treble just becomes grating after a while, but the DXPs seem to have the perfect amount of anything really. Due to the 50mm driver size of the DXPs, the sound is also bigger in general to my ears.. after the first song I listened on the DXPs it was crystal clear for me that the SP-5 will go back. :)

I'm genuinely impressed by the overall sound quality of the DXPs. These will be my main drivers for years to come! Very happy with them. Everything you throw at them just sounds right.

I will try to write a dedicated review soon, after I've listened to them a lot more. :)

I'm really glad when I see someone fall in love with a headphone, especially a headphone I also am in love with! :)

I agree, Sig Studio is quite a bit brighter, and unless one wants that, Sig DXP is the headphone to go with from Ultrasone at this moment. It is so sweet that I take it on most of my trips nowadays, as my portable headphone :)

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #80 of 141
I'm really glad when I see someone fall in love with a headphone, especially a headphone I also am in love with! :)

I agree, Sig Studio is quite a bit brighter, and unless one wants that, Sig DXP is the headphone to go with from Ultrasone at this moment. It is so sweet that I take it on most of my trips nowadays, as my portable headphone :)

Haha yes, I feel the same! Really, without your praise I wouldn't even have tried them and now I am just so happy that I discovered Ultrasone in general. <3 S-Logic is just amazing... For some it doesn't work, I am lucky, because for me it works like a charm. The soundstage is just unbelievable at times...

Also, just to avoid any misunderstandinge, I meant the Adam Audio Sp5 Studio, not the Signature Studio. :) :) the Adam Audio Sp5 is, according to Ultrasones support themselves, even brighter than the the Signatur Studio. (all these names..) They are not bad sounding by any means, but not my cup of tea. :)

Edit: I just noticed, the Sp in Sp-5 could also be confused with the Signature Pros, :D which are, according to Ultrasone as well, a bit warmer with a very similar bass and high area.

Further, and that is very interesting to me, the Signature DXP come the closest to sounding like my Jbl Studio monitors (full sized speakers) . I directly wanted to compare Hi-Hats on the DXP/Dj and my monitors, and they do actually sound more realistic on the DXP. Really, slowclap Ultrasone. They are manufacturing an instant classic. Let's see if they'll get the praise they deserve in the future, as they are still relatively new and not that known. :) but no matter which review I read about them, the sound quality is always ranked very high!

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #81 of 141
Somewhat curious in these but it might be the highs are still slightly too much for me possibly, difficult to say as these have significantly more lower-mids which was the biggest issue for me with Ultrasone DJ, too "thin" midrange so in order to get the mids nice sounding I had to up the volume so much the highs got fatiguing, I thought for my tastes the DJ has slightly too much highs / slightly missing mids (lower-mids in particular as I wanted a bit thicker sound). Bass was quite okay (I like punchy & impactful & tight bass) but I still thought it wasn't the tightiest exactly, I enjoyed the volume of it though, just wanted more texture/control/tightness or how you'd say it.

Wonder if these DXPs would be more to my liking.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #82 of 141
Somewhat curious in these but it might be the highs are still slightly too much for me possibly, difficult to say as these have significantly more lower-mids which was the biggest issue for me with Ultrasone DJ, too "thin" midrange so in order to get the mids nice sounding I had to up the volume so much the highs got fatiguing, I thought for my tastes the DJ has slightly too much highs / slightly missing mids (lower-mids in particular as I wanted a bit thicker sound). Bass was quite okay (I like punchy & impactful & tight bass) but I still thought it wasn't the tightiest exactly, I enjoyed the volume of it though, just wanted more texture/control/tightness or how you'd say it.

Wonder if these DXPs would be more to my liking.

If you have the chance, just try em out! :)

I feel so crazy... first I was so sure that I would keep the DXP, then I fell in love with the Djs, so sure that they would be my goto sweeties, but all of the sudden the DXP just sounds even nicer to me. Just more lower mids, a more energetic signature. I don’t know what to do anymore. In the end I’ll throw a coin or something haha.

Well, I feel like I will have to listen to the DXP quiete a bit more. I have about 2 weeks left to decide.. thank god. :p

Summed up, I think both are just so fantastic thats it so hard to decide between them. It's like, one week I could listen to the DJs and then to the DXPs a week later. I also think that no matter which ones I'll keep, I'll be happy with any of them.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #83 of 141
The DJ and DXP are the same price (499 Euros) now on Thomann Germany. Which one to get? I dont like the white on the DJs and the pads are 130 Euros which is crazy. Also the DXP are more to my liking from the descriptions on this thread. What i dislike about the DXP is that it will likely go down in price in the next 2-3 years. Dont really want to wait though. Decisions decisions...

Nov 22, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #84 of 141
@bizkid both are great headphones. If you go for the DXP you'll get an exiting sound signature which is also balanced and a lot of fun to listen to. The Dj on the other hand is more relaxed, chill mode cans, while still sounding balanced as well, the DXP sound more neutral, but the Dj has this nice thick bass.

I struggle to decide between them two too I know own 2 Signature djs, 2 DXps and the Studio from Adam audio which is also a Signature headphone (practically identical) , so if you get the chance, you could also try both and send one back. It's free and easy to return one of them and you get 30 days of considering time. :D

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #85 of 141
The DJ and DXP are the same price (499 Euros) now on Thomann Germany. Which one to get? I dont like the white on the DJs and the pads are 130 Euros which is crazy. Also the DXP are more to my liking from the descriptions on this thread. What i dislike about the DXP is that it will likely go down in price in the next 2-3 years. Dont really want to wait though. Decisions decisions...

If you don't like treble to be bright or sparkly, go for Sig DJ

If you like sparkly and fun treble, go for DXP

This is the most important aspect about them, as far as their signature goes, because everything else revolves around this a bit

Nov 24, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #86 of 141
@Dobrescu George , I don’t know if they will be to your taste, but if you like the DXP, you may really wanna try the Adam Audio Studio SP-5. I know frequency responses don’t tell how good a headphone sounds, but if you look at the fr of the Adam Audio:

upload_2018-11-24_11-33-59.jpeg

When I saw this even frequency response, I had to try them again, since I returned them because I thought I would keep the DXP as they sound “smoother”. Now I am not sure because the signature of the Sp-5 is addicting as it’s so clean and the sound is very even, although for some the highs may be too much, but mostly because I think many headphones have recessed highs in the first place, so it takes some adjusting.

Adam Audio wrote back to me when I asked them why they use gold for drivers, not titaniumlfound in the Signature Studio and Pro, and their response was, that gold has less self resonance when it comes to achieving even highs:

“We deliberately chose gold for the driver. In our experience, titanium tends to self-resonate in the upper frequency range, which could change the sound quite a bit. In other words one could also say: Gold has met our sound preferences a little better.”

Nov 24, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #87 of 141
@Dobrescu George , I don’t know if they will be to your taste, but if you like the DXP, you may really wanna try the Adam Audio Studio SP-5. I know frequency responses don’t tell how good a headphone sounds, but if you look at the fr of the Adam Audio:

When I saw this even frequency response, I had to try them again, since I returned them because I thought I would keep the DXP as they sound “smoother”. Now I am not sure because the signature of the Sp-5 is addicting as it’s so clean and the sound is very even, although for some the highs may be too much, but mostly because I think many headphones have recessed highs in the first place, so it takes some adjusting.

Adam Audio wrote back to me when I asked them why they use gold for drivers, not titaniumlfound in the Signature Studio and Pro, and their response was, that gold has less self resonance when it comes to achieving even highs:

“We deliberately chose gold for the driver. In our experience, titanium tends to self-resonate in the upper frequency range, which could change the sound quite a bit. In other words one could also say: Gold has met our sound preferences a little better.”

I mean, they are good, because they are made by Ultrasone :)

Adam Audio has almost nothing to do with the production process besides the branding, it is an Ultrasone Headphone entirely :)

Interesting though, that they have a different signature when compared to Sig DXP and Sig Studio. I don't think I would require less treble though, I like DXP as it is

Nov 25, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #88 of 141
I mean, they are good, because they are made by Ultrasone :)

Adam Audio has almost nothing to do with the production process besides the branding, it is an Ultrasone Headphone entirely :)

Interesting though, that they have a different signature when compared to Sig DXP and Sig Studio. I don't think I would require less treble though, I like DXP as it is

Interesting thing is, they have quiet more treble than the DXP, since the upper mids are not recessed, and since bass and lower mids are not boosted these become a borderline brightish headphone. :)

Nov 25, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #89 of 141
Interesting thing is, they have quiet more treble than the DXP, since the upper mids are not recessed, and since bass and lower mids are not boosted these become a borderline brightish headphone. :)

Intersting!

I'll see if I can find any pair to listen around here.

Seems like Adam went ahead and brought their own tuning to them. I wonder if other things are changed as well, like the soundstage size, and such

Nov 26, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #90 of 141
Just picked up a pair of these second hand and I must say, I am incredibly impressed - best pair of closed cans I’ve heard, by some distance. Fantastic tuning which balances decent bass and some sparkling highs, for a fun sound signature but one that is still refined. Not the widest soundstage in the world (Senn hd250 is for example wider) but it’s deep, and there’s lovely detail. I also think ultrasone create a fantastic impression of space - almost speakerlike - without letting the sound become too diffused or distant. It’s non-fatiguing but still hits hard. Cans are built like tanks, isolate moderately well, are very comfortable and are surprisingly portable.

Very very good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back