Ultrasone Proline 750 Modding
Dec 23, 2008 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eidahl

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a proline 750 from one of the awesome people here at head-fi and... since I've been hearing mentions of modifications.. like the cotton-stuffing.. mod/procedure and 'markl modding' (??), thought it would be curious to check on what other people have done to these, (any suggestions?)

Maybe I'll be more than happy leaving them as is (once I actually get them, bwa-ha) considering I'm upgrading from the ath sj5s, but what's the fun in that?
evil_smiley.gif

Resources- A thread from last year: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/pro...ogress-238427/

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 9
there are several very easy mods you can perform on the 750s. i tried covering the driver openings (under the earpads) with felt and tape (reduces treble and a bit of upper midrange). i also tried stuffing different amounts of cotton behind the driver/baffle in the earcups (reduces bass and tightens it a lot, thus making lower mids more prominent and soundstage larger/more airy).

i found the tape reduced the clarity too much. the felt was good for reducing treble but i preferred the sound without the felt in the end. the cotton mod was great for reducing bass and tightening it and i preferred the sound with this mod. i stuffed a very tiny amount so the bass volume was almost unaffected but the bass tightened/sped up quite a bit as it killed most of the resonance/sound reflections in the earcups.

all these mods are easily reversible and quick to perform if you have the correct-sized screwdriver. as for the markl mod for the pro750s...i haven't heard of any such mod, but it may exist. i'm quite sure that's only for the denon headphones.

try them out and let us know what you find as YMMV.

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 9
I suggest leaving your Pro 750 alone. IMO, they sound absolutely great just the way they are (no mods). Please look at the post I added to the Proline 750 MOD thread (link you provided). Honestly, sometimes I think the title "Head-Fi" should be augmented with the following description:
"A website for the compulsive-obsessive".

Dec 28, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 9
Well, I've received them.. and.. I'm having some trouble.. how difficult are they to drive..? Through the soundcard, they're tooo quiet. The guitars are either noisy / crackling, or too sharp.. and I can hardly hear the vocals. The same through an old denon avp8000 amp from the soundcard (optical). I sad. Is it the actual HPs or simply not enough powa', help? (See below, I is noob.)

([size=x-small]-Sorry for my noobishness, I panicked when I heard them :p[/size])

EDIT: Though, they -do- look better than I thought they would, hehe. I think I'll try increasing the volt. on the amp or something.

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 9
make sure you screw in the cable into the earcup tightly, otherwise the sound gets butchered.

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
make sure you screw in the cable into the earcup tightly, otherwise the sound gets butchered.

Yeah, classic Ultrasonista fumble. Many of us have done that.

You must (gently but firmly) press the cable upward into the earcup as you screw it in. You'll feel the thread catch properly & then resistance after you've tightened sufficiently.

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 9
... ahhhhhhh. ^^^, to the above.. thank you! I was pressing the cord into the hps, but I wasn't 'screwing' it in.. YAYY! So awesome. ^_^

EDIT: Some time later: thankyouthankyouthankyou...

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by eidahl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... ahhhhhhh. ^^^, to the above.. thank you! I was pressing the cord into the hps, but I wasn't 'screwing' it in.. YAYY! So awesome. ^_^

EDIT: Some time later: thankyouthankyouthankyou...

happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

let us know what you think of the cans after you burn them in.

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 9

after several different attempts I got one for me final mod, there is 3 steps, sound fantastic, cup efect is out (adding dumping) and energy is here (free holes)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back