Ultrasone PROline 2500 / Rudistor NX-02 Review
Jan 2, 2007 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Dexdexter

Headphoneus Supremus
Someone posted a link to the new issue of online magazine Affordable Audio in the Amplification section, but it's just as relevant here:

http://www.affordableaudio.org/aa2007-01.pdf

The zine downloads as a PDF file. Scroll down to page 4 for the Ultrasone review. A nice write-up and some lovely photos as well; gotta start saving for that beautiful BLUE NX-02 to match my 2500s!
280smile.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #2 of 15
If the link doesn't work, just copy/paste it in your browser to get there
smily_headphones1.gif

Reading now.

Jan 2, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for the link,
for me it worked only starting from the main page of affordableaudio.org and then click on the January issue.

The review is quite impressive, seems to be the Rudistor and the Ultrasone pair very well.
One thing though:
the reviewer seems to be rather new to high end headphones,
his reference for the comparison is a Sennheiser HD477, a headphone that costs about 30 Euros.
Would be more interesting if the reviewer actually had experience with other cans in the price region of the Ultrasone ProLine 2500, like Senn HD650s, Beyer DT880s or AKG K701s.
icon10.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sean-xenos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the link,
for me it worked only starting from the main page of affordableaudio.org and then click on the January issue.

The review is quite impressive, seems to be the Rudistor and the Ultrasone pair very well.
One thing though:
his reference for the comparison is a Sennheiser HD477, a headphone that costs about 30 Euros.
Would be more interesting if the reviewer actually had experience with other cans in the price region of the Ultrasone ProLine 2500, like Senn HD650s, Beyer DT880s or AKG K701s.
icon10.gif

I couldn't help but notice that the reviewer didn't even burn these in a bit, at least no mention of burning them in was made. That missing factor made the entire review seem like fluff to me, having had my 'ears opened' to what happens to these Ultrasones with burn-in. (Ultrasone headphones seem to absolutely require burn-in, especially the tintanium coated diaphragm models.) And comparing Ultrasones to ANY other models seems like a foreign concept to me, anyway... the Ultrasone's sound signature is so entirely different from other designs of headphones.

Terry

Jan 2, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 15
Excellent points both, sean & Terry.

As the NX-02 Sistema system was supplied to the reviewer in combination with the headphones, I'm guessing that the 2500 had a fair amount of hours logged on it already, as it would do Rudistor no favors for the Ultrasones to be performing at anything other than their very best. Perhaps Alberto can clarify here.

Second, I can understand your respective reservations about the writer's inexperience with headphones and his not having a worthwhile system on-hand for comparison.

But I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here, since I can imagine that his experience closely mirrors my own. I joined Head-Fi this past August with little familiarity of headphones or headphone amplifiers, but rather, 30 years of intensive music appreciation via Hi-Fi (with loudspeakers), performance, and concert attendance. And out of that context, the Ultrasones have gotten me excited about the possibilities that head-fi has to offer, by delivering a presentation that is organic and faithful to the original.

So I think that an "outsider" perspective can be equally valid and most certainly refreshing; it's great to see more publications stretching into this fascinating little realm of ours.
280smile.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sean-xenos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the link,

One thing though:
icon10.gif

Nope, at all, as I have stated many times, the PROLines (and Ultrasones in general) will not sound like any other headphone, the natural presentation and S-logic needs time on you, as it is a completely different experience, any reference to any other headphone IMO, is simply futile (actually if you compare them back and forth continuously, during the brain burn in, chances are that you will never like them...)
We chose to do that review with an audiophile, not very familiar with headphones, on purpose, (otherwise he needs to be familiar with the Ultrasone natural sound)...

Terry it is true that there are some omissions sometimes in the reviews, but FYI I can assure you, that the Sistema was completely burned in (for several months) and Mark was fully aware of that, as he asked me...BTW the amp is my personal demo amp, and the headphones from Ultrasone, both were "show" pieces, used and fully burned in....

Jan 4, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, at all, as I have stated many times, the PROLines (and Ultrasones in general) will not sound like any other headphone, the natural presentation and S-logic needs time on you, as it is a completely different experience, any reference to any other headphone IMO, is simply futile (actually if you compare them back and forth continuously, during the brain burn in, chances are that you will never like them...)
We chose to do that review with an audiophile, not very familiar with headphones, on purpose, (otherwise he needs to be familiar with the Ultrasone natural sound)...

Terry it is true that there are some omissions sometimes in the reviews, but FYI I can assure you, that the Sistema was completely burned in (for several months) and Mark was fully aware of that, as he asked me...BTW the amp is my personal demo amp, and the headphones from Ultrasone, both were "show" pieces, used and fully burned in....

Well, that's wonderful, then! Another person has had a chance to experience this little wonder first hand!

I had a little surprise this evening. I had a shuffled playlist running, and following some Stockhausen (from Hymnen), a vocal ensemble piece came on. The piano sat over to the left of the ensemble. Well, when it started, I suddenly thought my headphones had cut out and I must have been listening to my speakers - the depth placement of the piano was so "removed" from my head area! It was surreal as I adjusted to the realization that this was coming from the headphones I was wearing!

I suppose they are starting to break in a little! I've never heard piano or the room it is played in sound so real in my life!

Terry

Jan 4, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 15
Isn't that amp reviewed discontinued?

Jan 4, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...if you compare them back and forth continuously, during the brain burn in, chances are that you will never like them...

Sovkiller, I'm tempted to pick up the PROLine 2500. Are you saying that it's best to listen to the Ultrasones only for awhile to get used to the sound signature? Really interesting. How long do you recommend listening to them only? It'd be tough to keep away from the other 'cans.

Jan 4, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #12 of 15
OT: Wow, that picture on page 1 of this feature issue is amazing, I've never seen anthing like that.
blink.gif

Maybe, one day I may give the PROLine 2500's an audition. Obviously, you don't hear much about them on these boards; however, after seeing the one's Sovkiller purchased (good looking cans by the way), I must say that my interest is piqued.

Jan 4, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sovkiller, I'm tempted to pick up the PROLine 2500. Are you saying that it's best to listen to the Ultrasones only for awhile to get used to the sound signature? Really interesting. How long do you recommend listening to them only? It'd be tough to keep away from the other 'cans.

I needed about a week to fully get used to them, after that you feel that using other headphones the soundstage sound a little artificial in comparison, but still enjoyable of course...I can use now either one with no regrets, of course knowing what is wrong in either one...

Jan 4, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't that amp reviewed discontinued?

It is only available now through Ultrasone USA, Rudi is making them for Ultrasone only...but if you do not want to get this one becsue you have other model and do not match the color, the NX-01se is very similar in topology and sound, but just not fully optimized for the Ultrasones, and a different PSU is used...but will pair very well with any.

Jan 4, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think so. It's currently listed for sale on the Ultrasone USA site

Thanks, Dex. Strange, it's no longer on the Rudistor site. I don't think it has been for a while. Either Ultrasone has the remaining stock, or Rudi is making these exclusively for selling thru Ultrasone only.

edit: oops! I guess Sov & I posted at the same time.
wink.gif

Very cool for a headphone to have it's own dedicated & tuned amp, not to mention physically matching!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back