Ultrasone Pro900's Any Good Unamped?
Sep 29, 2011 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jbl772

100+ Head-Fier
Hey I was wondering if the Pro900 would sound any good without an amp.  I plan to use these with my computer, which right now only has a HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card. 
1.Will this be enough to power the 900's? 
2.What if I buy a DAC?
3.How will it sound unamped?

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Hey I was wondering if the Pro900 would sound any good without an amp.  I plan to use these with my computer, which right now only has a HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card. 
2.What if I buy a DAC?

Heya,

1. Yes, it's going to be fine. It has opamp built in.
2. The soundcard is the DAC, the chipset is listed in the specs.
3. If the power is insufficient, the bass might not be very tight and it might sound muddy. You likely will not experience this using your sound card.

Very best,

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 9
2.What if I buy a DAC?

1. Probably
2. That sound card is a DAC.
3. It will lose a little definition, but nothing serious. These things sound fine unamped, but do benefit a bit from an amp.

If your worried about using them with an mp3 player, just get this:
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E11-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0053KWDES[/quote]

Your sound card will do fine for desktop use.

Sep 29, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
1. Probably
2. That sound card is a DAC.
3. It will lose a little definition, but nothing serious. These things sound fine unamped, but do benefit a bit from an amp.
If your worried about using them with an mp3 player, just get this:
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E11-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0053KWDES
Your sound card will do fine for desktop use.[/quote]

What he said.

I primarily use mine unamped. They sound great. Yes, the sound does improve with an amp. It cleans up the sound, more detail, tighter bass... but they are still a complete joy to use straight out of the iPod. And if I crank it up all the way, after an hour, my ears will be ringing. Plenty of power. The FiiO stuff is an inexpensive way to get a nice all-round boost too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back