Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #5,386 of 5,992
Quote:
Quote:
God can't believed I missed out on the Amazon lightning deal. If someone here who has bought the 900s on Amazon recently and isn't satisfied with them, I'll be glad to take it off your hands (I'll pay of course)
wink_face.gif

I was listening to some Dubstep last night as was thinking how much I miss my Pro 900s. Most FUN pair of 'phones I've had. If that lightening deal ever happens again, I'm going to be all over it.

beerchug.gif

[size=medium]I got one from [/size][size=10pt]Amazon lightning deal and decided, I do not need them. Willing to sell (everything as received in box) for $199.99 + CONUS shipping and buyer pays Paypall fee. [/size]
[size=10pt]PM me if [size=10pt]interested[/size].  [/size]

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #5,387 of 5,992
Quote:
Hello all. Just signed up on the forum to share a tidbit about my purchase and to possibly get some feedback. I ended up buying the Pro 900 the other day as I have been looking for some closed headphones for a little while now after my Audio Technica ATH-m50 purchase.

Before buying, the things I have learned were that the bass was excellent on the ultrasones, and the mids/highs were recessed. All of the reviews I have came across the upper frequencies being recessed also mentioned shortly after that it still sounded great! i.e. "...a bit recessed. Don't get me wrong, these are still great sounding headphones...."

I don't consider myself a basshead: I don't like loud, MAX SPL but I do like rich, deep bass that you can feel a rumble in your chest cavity. I do believe the Ultrasones PRO 900 gives me that but a lot of my music incorporates lots of vocals, piano, symbals? types of sounds... I am actually trying to figure out what is the genre of music I have started to listen to...so excuse me for not being fairly accurate: chillstep, progressive House?, uplifting trance, classical here and there, a little bit of hip-hop, 1 or 2 dubstep songs, pop, RnB, the Skyrim soundtrack.

Anyways, I have been playing music through them between 50-75 hours now and at this point, I don't see them improving (running out of a FiiO USB DAC/AMP combo). So am I correct in concluding these aren't the headphones for me?

mmm... i think you might be expecting too much for a pair of headphones. I haven't had a pair of headphones that gave you a "rumble in your chest cavity" like a real subwoofer, altho I haven't used an amp or any headphones over $400 yet.

But ya, if you don't like them, you don't like them. However, it seems like your expectations are a bit high. I heard that sony xb500 puts out a lot of bass (don't remember if it was rich & deep lol) so maybe try those, and beyer dt770 is another bass headphone I hear get recommended a lot (haven't tried them either).

Finally, I would personally recommend the V-moda M100 (or V-moda LP2 for more bass boost). I've tried the M100 and they were the best quality bass headphones that I've tried so far. I personally thought that the M100 had really rich textured bass that was tight & accurate without bleeding into mids/highs (and even heard some low frequencies that I haven't heard before), but even with those I didn't get a "rumble in my chest cavity feeling." a nice purring rumble in my head though lol. The M100 definitely shines w/ electronic songs.

You might want to hold onto your Pro 500 and do direct comparisons to see if you might be expecting too much, and/or perhaps you may need to invest in an bass-boosting amp.

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #5,388 of 5,992
For those of you who still have the box, does yours have a misspelling on the back? Under the "PRO Box contents" section on the back of mine, it says "Neutrik plug, one straight (lenght 1.5m)." It also doesn't have a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter like it sometimes says it does, but rather has one 3.5mm terminated cable and one 1/4" terminated cable. I got it from Amazon, so I don't think it's a fake....

The cables you got are correct IME.

No idea on the box though...the owner's manuals that come with the Ultrasone headphones I've had (2900, 2400, and 900) are generally not exemplars of spelling/grammar though, so I wouldn't be surprised at errors on the box. I've also not heard of fake Ultrasone headphones. A quick click-off of the pads could probably tell you quite a bit - I doubt the counterfeiters would bother to replicate S-LOGIC.

that seems like a really shallow earcup depth to me... do you feel like you ear presses up against the inside of the driver? have you experienced any comfort issues after long periods of wear?

thanks for your help!

Personally I didn't find my ears to be pressing up against the baffle (your ears cannot touch the driver), the PRO2900 pads are thicker, and will produce a somewhat different sound (they will sound a lot more like the 2900).

The 900 are fairly comfortable headphones for reasonably long-term wear (4-6 hours). I'd regard the 2900 as better though, because they breathe more (they're open-backed). Somewhat different sound though (less bass is the primary feature, but they have somewhat more transparent highs and more present mids).

Good luck with that. :)

+1.

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #5,389 of 5,992
@obobskivich, do you have a ruler & camera & ultrasone pro 900 that you can measure out the entire earcup depth & dimensions??? that would be very very helpful!!! :)

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #5,390 of 5,992
Yeah the grammar is kind of iffy all around. I doubt that it would be profitable to make headphones that sound like this at this price, so it looks like it's all good.

On a side note for those interested, I updated my review comparing these to the Beyer DT770-80's here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/653978/ultrasone-pro-900-vs-beyerdynamic-dt770-80-ohm-updated-review#post_9240818

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #5,391 of 5,992

Quote:
mmm... i think you might be expecting too much for a pair of headphones. I haven't had a pair of headphones that gave you a "rumble in your chest cavity" like a real subwoofer, altho I haven't used an amp or any headphones over $400 yet.

But ya, if you don't like them, you don't like them. However, it seems like your expectations are a bit high. I heard that sony xb500 puts out a lot of bass (don't remember if it was rich & deep lol) so maybe try those, and beyer dt770 is another bass headphone I hear get recommended a lot (haven't tried them either).

Finally, I would personally recommend the V-moda M100 (or V-moda LP2 for more bass boost). I've tried the M100 and they were the best quality bass headphones that I've tried so far. I personally thought that the M100 had really rich textured bass that was tight & accurate without bleeding into mids/highs (and even heard some low frequencies that I haven't heard before), but even with those I didn't get a "rumble in my chest cavity feeling." a nice purring rumble in my head though lol. The M100 definitely shines w/ electronic songs.

You might want to hold onto your Pro 500 and do direct comparisons to see if you might be expecting too much, and/or perhaps you may need to invest in an bass-boosting amp.

Thanks for your reply. I just want to get more clarification as I really don't want to go about this the wrong way in my search. I think I somehow gave you the impression that I was after base headphones only and that I am a basshead?

I didn't realized I was expecting so much. Excuse me if I don't have the adjectives correct, but I do like the rumbling/purring/great bass of the pro 900. Stepping up from the Audio Technica's m50's, it is a good improvement. I just felt the upper end to be lacking (wished it was a bit more clear for female vocals). Am I expecting too much from a pair of headphones here? 

A friend of mine owns the V-moda M100 and have been wanting to compare them to the Pro 900 but I have been trying "burn in" the headphones before comparing to his. Unfortunately, I am forced to buy headphones on the internet as I cannot demo in the small town I live in.

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #5,392 of 5,992
Thanks for your reply. I just want to get more clarification as I really don't want to go about this the wrong way in my search. I think I somehow gave you the impression that I was after base headphones only and that I am a basshead?

I didn't realized I was expecting so much. Excuse me if I don't have the adjectives correct, but I do like the rumbling/purring/great bass of the pro 900. Stepping up from the Audio Technica's m50's, it is a good improvement. I just felt the upper end to be lacking (wished it was a bit more clear for female vocals). Am I expecting too much from a pair of headphones here? 

A friend of mine owns the V-moda M100 and have been wanting to compare them to the Pro 900 but I have been trying "burn in" the headphones before comparing to his. Unfortunately, I am forced to buy headphones on the internet as I cannot demo in the small town I live in.

I wouldn't put too much stock into burn-in as a "big deal" - if you don't like how they sound on day 1, you probably won't like them on day 1000 either. :xf_eek:

Anyways, it sounds like the PRO900 probably aren't a good choice for you. The two models I would suggest you look at instead are the Kenwood KH-K1000 and Bose QC15. Both are relatively bassy, but also more leveled-out and laid-back/smooth. Good mids, good fit, good imaging, and I think you'll find they get along a lot better with house, trance, and orchestral types of music. :)

I'll also add that more bass does not mean "better" as far as headphones go (what I mean is, it isn't just a sliding scale of "some bass" to "insane amounts of bass" - despite what companies like Beats would have you believe).

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #5,393 of 5,992
Quote:

omg I would love to hear your & your friends impressions of how the M100 stacks up w/ the Pro 900. I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the Pro 900 & I really want to, but I can't find them anywhere in store around here.

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #5,394 of 5,992
Quote:
omg I would love to hear your & your friends impressions of how the M100 stacks up w/ the Pro 900. I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the Pro 900 & I really want to, but I can't find them anywhere in store around here.

Not sure if this is a good time to reply as its already 2 in the morning (or i guess 3 due to the time change). Here is an overall summary. I am throwing in my Audio-technica ath-m50 in here too.

The Pro 900 has excellent bass. One particular song I listen to has a wave in the lower frequencies and you can pick out that wave quite well with this. So can I with the M100, but to me, it just seems very clear the Pro 900 wins in the bass department. That's not to say the m100's are bad in the bass department. I think they sound very nice there. It just seems the Pro 900 emphasizes the bass a little more. Does the bass bleed or empower the upper range? I don't think so, but the voice clarity is really, dark.

That brings me to the m100. I adore my m50's. They sound great with the music I listen to. They have excellent clarity in the upper range. and sufficient bass for casual listening. What I was after was excellent bass/mid-bass (tight/fast/responsive but deep) and superb vocal clarity. The m100 in my opinion offered a little of both. The m100 was a little dark itself, but not so much as the ultrasones. The m100 upper range was clear, but different in comparison to the ath-m50. Out of the three, the m100 was an all around winner. However, I won't lie that I was still grabbing my m50's for certain songs.

In terms of comfort, the Pro 900 has some big ear cups that are quite comfortable. I think if I were to keep the Pro 900's, I would need some way to stretch them out just a tad bit though. The m100 has some very small, narrow cups that I really didn't like. That and the fact that the cups don't swivel. My friend mention that he can only wear them for about an hour before the pressure nearest the front starts to bother him. I can see how that can happen as the cups don't swivel at all. 

I was blown away by the bass of the Pro 900 (really put a smile on my face) and the m100 when he first got them, but was disappointed about the rest. Great looking headphones, but my search still continues. Hope this helps. This is entirely my opinion and I am new to the headphones department (have been busy with my home theatre setup), so I may not be using the proper terms.  Test setup was through a Fiio E10 playing back a few FLAC files.

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #5,395 of 5,992
Quote:

Muhahahaha, try the Dt 990, it has much better highs and the upper end is magical with voices. Although the 990 is a bright can. I recommend it with a Tube amplifier, and use a Clear Top tube as well <3 

But I'm not at ALL fond of closed bass any more! So I doubt I'll get to the pro 900. Closed bass can's like the TIGHT punch of semi open and open] 

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #5,396 of 5,992
I own the 900's and a pair of Sennheiser Momentums.  The 900's are a great pair of headphones, with the best bass definition i've ever heard.  But because I listen mostly to hard rock/heavy metal, the recessed mids were a bit of an issue.  I've read from  some posts that the highs are recessed; I did not find that to be the case.  Highs are extended and extremely detailed with little to no sibilance issues. 

I bought the momentums as I'd heard they were extremely natural sounding with well rendered mids and nicely extended but not boosted bass response.  I'm happy to say that is the case.  Anyway.  I kept both pairs, as they excel in different areas.  Overall I prefer the momentums, but when I need a viceral bass kick, I go with the Ultrasones.  If I could give Ultrasone one piece of advice, it would be to study sennheiser and render the mids more naturally rather then they are now (although this might have something to do with the "S-logic surround" tech involved).

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #5,397 of 5,992
Quote:
I own the 900's and a pair of Sennheiser Momentums.  The 900's are a great pair of headphones, with the best bass definition i've ever heard.  But because I listen mostly to hard rock/heavy metal, the recessed mids were a bit of an issue.  I've read from  some posts that the highs are recessed; I did not find that to be the case.  Highs are extended and extremely detailed with little to no sibilance issues. 

I bought the momentums as I'd heard they were extremely natural sounding with well rendered mids and nicely extended but not boosted bass response.  I'm happy to say that is the case.  Anyway.  I kept both pairs, as they excel in different areas.  Overall I prefer the momentums, but when I need a viceral bass kick, I go with the Ultrasones.  If I could give Ultrasone one piece of advice, it would be to study sennheiser and render the mids more naturally rather then they are now (although this might have something to do with the "S-logic surround" tech involved).

The Signature DJ is supposed to have very refined mids and highs and all the Bass Slam of the Pro900 (in fact, even better with the larger 50mm drivers). I just ordered a set and I hope what they say is true. I sold my Pro 900s and to tell the truth, I've been missing them ever since. Nobody does Bass better than Ultrasone in my opinion. If they really have dialed in the mids and highs they'll  be perfect.  
smile.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #5,398 of 5,992
I finally got my pair of 900's today, after waiting patiently for a week after the estimated delivery date...

My first impressions are that they're incredible, and a perfect super-step up from the xb500's I had. I'm not noticing the sibilance people mentioned at all, but I can definitely hear the V-shaped frequency curve. Every sound and instrument sounds clear and detailed, and it doesn't feel muddy at all. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard such clarity, and every song I listen to sounds completely different.

I've tried every genre with these headphones, and they're perfect for electronic (house, dubstep, etc..). The bass has great impact and rumble, and is really tight and satisfying. Hip-hop and R&B are also quite good, so are some bands like Pink Floyd, Radiohead and Coldplay. However, I find some rock difficult to listen to since it's centered around the mid-range, and these headphones put an emphasis on parts of the songs that aren't intended to be emphasized, such as hi-hats and bass rather than vocals. Thankfully, I've been growing out of rock for some time now, and I'm likely not to use them for it much.

Currently I'm running them just out of my iPhone, but I'm due to get a portable amp (Fiio e11) soon. I'm noticing that they aren't very loud, and it's probably because they aren't being driven that well by my phone. Nothing seems distorted when I crank them up though, and I'm beginning to wonder if an amp is even necessary.

Anyway, those are my first thoughts. Glad to be part of the Pro-900 gang now!

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #5,400 of 5,992
Hi everybody,

I've bought Ultrasone Pro 900 one week ago after many hesitations (DT880, HD600, K701) for mixing almost and I whould like to ask you if the Kees mod will be usefull for me or not ?

thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back