Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #5,341 of 5,992
Not necessarily, although there are alot of new people asking about headphones with good bass and such. I think it depends Also on musical needs. People who listen to classical and jazz aren't as worried about bass as people who like EDM and dubstep.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #5,344 of 5,992
I haven't heard any dubstep that I feel an emotional connection to. Alot of music of that type sounds like someone bored playing with sound samples. I'm more into 90s metal, industrial and alternative rock. Though I'm trying to find new stuff I like. What do you suggest?

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #5,345 of 5,992
I like the 900s with trance and house type music, with pulsing basslines and sweet vocals. Try something off of an ASOT compilation for example.

I think they do nice with jazz and swing too; to be honest. I also don't always like a bassy headphone with bassy music - impact and quantity is not the only game in town. This isn't to say the 900 are low quality, but they aren't the tightest or smoothest sound I've heard.

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #5,346 of 5,992
Quote:
Anyone have any test tracks to really show the full potential of these cans? Genre doesn't matter.

Where ya at CT....?

The PRO900s love Skrillex....

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #5,347 of 5,992
I just ordered the Pro 750, the 900 is out of my price range anyway. ETA about a week.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #5,349 of 5,992
First,please forgive my english
happy_face1.gif

I got my 900 about a month, it sound really better after burn in.
My question is: I found when I put my hands on the cup to cover the pad, it sounds  much better!! the bass is much deeper! So that make me realize I need something to cover the pad instead of my hands.
I did some researching found J$ but they are not exist anymore. So, is there somewhere I can buy a pair of pad for pro 900?
Thanks for reading even with no response
redface.gif

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #5,350 of 5,992
Hello friends!

I've had the Pro 900 for a few months now. I use it with my ipod. I've "TWerked" around endlessly with all kinds of settings, but I love the sound I get from the set-up that is described below.

Initially, I used it straight out the headphone jack of my ipod. This was not a good idea. You do not get high quality and clear sound without amplification. You can power them to high volumes, sure, but the quality of the sound will be less than ideal.

It is easy to hear a substantial difference with an amp! I bought a Fiio E11. It sounds great from the Fiio. BUT you MUST also buy an LOD (Fiio L3 or L9) if you are listening through an Ipod. You must. It makes the sound MUCH better than without it. Use the L9 instead of a male to male connecter.
Recap: Ipod + Fiio L9 + Fiio E11. This is the combo you want for great portable sound!
(As a note, I like the FiiO EQ to be at 1, the gain on L, and the power on H.) The power setting is inside the unit underneath the battery. I wasn't aware of it when I first had the e11!

I also find it ESSENTIAL to use the "bass reducer" EQ found on the ipod. It tames the bass down a little- to acceptable levels. The bass on these headphones is just too much otherwise, and it really "covers" some of the rest of the music.  These Pro 900s have a 10 DB bass boost. It's too much. The bass reducer will pull that down a few DBS to balance the sound better. You will STILL have the wonderful (and huge) mid-bass response that makes this headphone a pro 900. But it will fit in the mix much better. Try it! I am listening right now, and it's just the best sound I have ever heard from my 900's :) 

If you use these settings, I think you will be very pleased with the sound. It is much improved. It is beautiful. The bass is in better check, and doesn't drown out details. I strongly recommend you grab an e11, l9, and use the bass reducer EQ. After that, it's a matter of positioning the headphone well. I prefer the way it sounds with my ears positioned towards the top back part of the headphone. It gives a great bass response! Play around with the placement, after you've used the above settings. It does change the balance of the sound in some not so subtle ways. The headphone is still more BRIGHT than I'd prefer, but it's a small gripe.

The sound is pretty massively awesome now. Enjoy, and please leave me your impression if you try this combo. Have a wonderful life.

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #5,351 of 5,992
First,please forgive my english :happy_face1:
I got my 900 about a month, it sound really better after burn in.
My question is: I found when I put my hands on the cup to cover the pad, it sounds  much better!! the bass is much deeper! So that make me realize I need something to cover the pad instead of my hands.
I did some researching found J$ but they are not exist anymore. So, is there somewhere I can buy a pair of pad for pro 900?
Thanks for reading even with no response:xf_eek:

What do you mean "cover the pad" - you want a leather-type pad? Or you need replacements?

Ultrasone sells the velour/fabric pads via their website (I think they're like $50/pr), and regarding leather/pleather pads, I think the DJ1 Pro pads might fight, but I have no idea what their quality is like (I don't think they're real leather); Ultrasone should also sell those via their website. :) (I have no idea what those pads do to the sound either, just saying).

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #5,352 of 5,992
Quote:
I haven't heard any dubstep that I feel an emotional connection to. Alot of music of that type sounds like someone bored playing with sound samples. I'm more into 90s metal, industrial and alternative rock. Though I'm trying to find new stuff I like. What do you suggest?

I feel the same as you; dubstep doesn't do much for me. I don't mind some of the Pretty Lights stuff. You can download it for free on his site, too. Hot Like Dimes is a fun track. He has some other good stuff but I don't listen to a lot of it to remember any particular tracks.

I haven't been paying much attention to my Pro 900s lately. All of my listening has been done on my new HE-400s. I just pulled them out and am listening to them right now. Dang, these things have authority and are shockingly comfortable in comparison. I love them both but I don't think I could separate from these. I was kind of expecting to not need the Pro 900s as much after getting the HE-400s but that doesn't seem to be the case. Not that it is a problem, of course.
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #5,353 of 5,992
Quote:

I feel the same as you; dubstep doesn't do much for me. I don't mind some of the Pretty Lights stuff. You can download it for free on his site, too. Hot Like Dimes is a fun track. He has some other good stuff but I don't listen to a lot of it to remember any particular tracks.

I haven't been paying much attention to my Pro 900s lately. All of my listening has been done on my new HE-400s. I just pulled them out and am listening to them right now. Dang, these things have authority and are shockingly comfortable in comparison. I love them both but I don't think I could separate from these. I was kind of expecting to not need the Pro 900s as much after getting the HE-400s but that doesn't seem to be the case. Not that it is a problem, of course.
wink.gif

Interesting .. i recently sold my he-400. I'm afraid I both liked and hated them . Can you explain differences between pro900 and he400 please ? I currently own a Sig pro but I stay interested in pro900/2900 :)

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #5,355 of 5,992
I'm not the best at describing sound so bear with me. The big difference is the bass. I like the bass of the HE-400s but it isn't as voluptuous as the Pro 900s. This seems to lend itself well in making the Ultrasones come off as the thicker sounding phone. It's got more substance in the low end but the character is less defined (though not to discredit the Ultrasones).

The HiFiMAN mids are stronger sounding, almost to an odd degree. It was actually a shock because vocals sound so much different. It's a bit more articulated. As someone that's spent a lot of time with the Pro 900s, it was quite an experience to try a headphone with slightly less recessed mids. These still don't sound flat but I think they use it to their advantage; flat sounds boring, in my experience. A slight smile in the response is more satisfying.

The highs are a wash, in my opinion. My hearing isn't the greatest (one too many rock shows and two too few ear plugs will do that to you) so I have a difficult time picking apart subtleties in this area. The HE-400's highs seem to have a bit more air underneath them. In both cases, I find them to be pleasant enough. I've got nothing bad to say about either set. I've heard less-than-flattering things about both headphones' high end but I just don't notice it. I'm happy with the amount of definition I get from either.

Aside from all of the frequency stuff that defines the signature, the biggest difference is the spaciousness of the sound. The HE-400s seem to place sounds all over the sound field. The Pro 900s never came across as being narrow or confined in any way but the HE-400s expanded on that broad stage, giving an extra sense of depth, almost at the expensive of overall tonal thickness. That's the vibe I get, at least.

There's also the comfort issue to consider. The HiFiMANs are quite a bit heavier and the cups are slightly bigger. They are both comfortable enough but the edge goes to the Ultrasones. I wouldn't turn down the HE-400s just because of their bulk and weight.

In the end, I'd say that going from Pro 900 to HE-400 is more of a lateral move. They have different sounds but one isn't obviously better than the other. They're different experiences and I'm happy with the money spent on both of them.

I'll see how my opinions on the matter change once I spend some time with both pairs and an amp. And, to be fair, I didn't spend a ton of time with the Pro 900s before putting the HE-400s back on and giving these impressions.

Maybe bareby can chime in on the issue. I've seen him around the HE-400 thread and here he is. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back