Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Oct 30, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #5,176 of 5,992
Got my first Hi-Fi set up in the mail today... Pro 900's and Fiio e17. God damn was I excited to finally try them after a week of waiting! Well, the bastards didn't even work... Brand new out of the box with a faulty cable jack. Now I'm probably gunna have to wait another 2-3 weeks to listen too them. Sad face.

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #5,177 of 5,992
Has anyone tried to remedy the recessed Mids by using the Graham Slee Novo amp?

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #5,178 of 5,992
Quote:
Got my first Hi-Fi set up in the mail today... Pro 900's and Fiio e17. God damn was I excited to finally try them after a week of waiting! Well, the bastards didn't even work... Brand new out of the box with a faulty cable jack. Now I'm probably gunna have to wait another 2-3 weeks to listen too them. Sad face.

I don't want to insult you by asking you a repeated question, but did you make sure you were completely screwed into your headphones? I messed this up when I first got mine and couldn't figure out for half an hour what was up. It took way more pressure than i expected (the first time) for the threads to finally catch and allow the cable to be fully screwed in. :)

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #5,179 of 5,992
Quote:
I don't want to insult you by asking you a repeated question, but did you make sure you were completely screwed into your headphones? I messed this up when I first got mine and couldn't figure out for half an hour what was up. It took way more pressure than i expected (the first time) for the threads to finally catch and allow the cable to be fully screwed in. :)

Mmm that's a great selling point

SCREW IN CABLES... tales 3 hours to get em in there :D [jk wid u guys you I know I'm just jelly of u :[ )

Still though... ONE DAY... I SHALL OWN THEM! 

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #5,180 of 5,992
Quote:

Yeahhh I'm pretty sure I did. Messed around with them for a fair while. Did them up pretty tight, even a couple of times to the point where the thread slipped. The only time I got any sound was if they were sitting in loosely before screwing it in. But it was really bad. As soon as I started screwing it in the music would disappear. They've been sent away now, though. Hopefully, I was right and they don't send me an email saying "You're a f@^king idiot" hahaha.

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #5,181 of 5,992
Hi guys,

I was wondering, have any of you been able to give your ultrasone 900/750 a 'warm' sound? Through EQ, modding and or with something else? With warm sound I mean they give a lot of body and tonality to instruments and voices. Also for those that have done a mod, did you notice they are more forgiving afterwards?

I would really like to know. Replies are greatly appreciated.

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #5,182 of 5,992
I'd nbe interested in them again if there was a mod to just drop the treble a bit. Everything else staying the same.

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #5,183 of 5,992
Hi guys,

I was wondering, have any of you been able to give your ultrasone 900/750 a 'warm' sound? Through EQ, modding and or with something else? With warm sound I mean they give a lot of body and tonality to instruments and voices. Also for those that have done a mod, did you notice they are more forgiving afterwards?

I subtract the frequencies between 120-500 hz and 8k-16k hz just a tiny bit, (-1db to -3db). This gives the highs a bit more warmth, more engaging mids and fuller low end.

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #5,184 of 5,992
Quote:
Hi guys,

I used a hd 650 headband mod to get the placement problem fixed. I then used 2 layers of dynamat xtreme to get the bass more controlled. The weight after the mod also helped with placement issues. But the thing that warmed these headphones up the most was my ultimate cmoy amp. At first my amp brought back an old problem I had with the highs being too hot. That problem seemed to go away a lil bit with burn in with no amp. They were really really hot amped for a good 50-150 hours but after that they sounded alot warmer and refreshing. Definitly warmer sounding than no amp and burned in, the mids really seemed to come out and play.

Nov 5, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #5,185 of 5,992
Hi, everybody!
I've got a problem. The driver has broken down in my Pro-900.
I'd like to find someone or an organisation, which coul send me a new driver for Pro-900.
Maybe some of you faced the same problem and can advise me something.
Looking forward to your advise! Thank you in advance! 

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #5,186 of 5,992
You will usually want both drivers to be replaced, as if you're a believer in burn in, one well used driver and a new driver will sound different, and out of tune. I'd just call Ultrasone and see how much it costs, if you're out of the warranty period.

Nov 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #5,187 of 5,992
I'm borrowing a friend's one-month-old Ultrasone Pro 900 for the evening - I'm really amazed at just how FUN these cans are!  

They are anything but flat, but who cares?  They are fun!   I wouldn't want to be stuck with having the Pro 900 as my only headphone, but for a guy who has listened pretty much to nothing but LCD-2 and SE530 for the past two years, I have to say the lack of linearity in their response is actually very enjoyable!

Here are some tracks I've heard on the Pro 900 that have really blown me away:

Overkill                               from Kosheen Damage
The Subordinate                  from The Insider OST
Brains & Eggs                     from Los Straightjackets !Viva! Lost Straightjackets
The Treadstone Assassins   from the Bourne Identity OST
Why So Serious                  from The Dark Knight OST
Love and Liberté                  from The Best of the Gipsy Kings
Drumming Song                   from Florence & The Machine Lungs

and, of course...

Hotel California                    from The Eagles Hell Freezes Over

Mike

Nov 6, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #5,188 of 5,992
Hi
Today I drive one STX and Ultrasone PRO 900 which is connected to my pc. I also have a two channel amp connected to STX so I can run with the speakers. I am interested to upgrade a bit and looking to start with a headphone amplifier and then maybe a pair of Audeze LCD2 within a reasonable future. Can anyone recommend an amplifier thats gonna worked for both of the headphones?
Do you think it will be a big difference with a new amp for my Ultrasone compared with STX soundcard? 

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #5,189 of 5,992
Hi speffy,

I'm brand new to the Pro 900, but even though it's very efficient, giving plenty of volume off the sound cards of two PCs and two laptops I've tried it with, the Pro 900 has a lot more "slam" (better dynamics) and bass control when powered with my Meier Stepdance (portable amp) - even when using the amp's internal 9V battery instead of a 15V external DC power supply.  

I spent several hours yesterday listening to this combination:   WAV -> Foorbar with WASAPI on Windows 7 > USB > CEntrance DACport LX > Meier Stepdance (on 9V internal battery power) > Ultrasone Pro 900

It was very impressive - much better than plugging the Pro 900 directly into a PC sound card.  

If the $250 price tag for the CEntrance DACport LX is out of the question for now, you might ask Head-Fi member cooperpwc (Paul) for his impressions of the UD100 USB DAC.  He actually uses this $50 DAC with a Meier Stepdance to drive $1200 IEMs (Final Audio Design Piano Forte IX).

I know of several LCD-2 owners who have used the Meier Stepdance with great satisfaction.  The LCD-2 is less efficient (more power-hungry) than the Ultrasone Pro 900, but when used with a 15V external power supply, I find the Meier Stepdance to be nearly indistinguishable from the amp section in my CEntrance DACmini (a desktop DAC/amp) with a 1-Ohm output impedance mod.   I spent several hours just this past weekend comparing the 15V-powered Stepdance to the CEntrance DACmini with 1-Ohm output impedance (in both cases using the DACmini's DAC section and LCD-2 rev.1).  I was amazed that the Meier Stepdance can compete with the DACmini's amp section.  They sound so much alike, you'd think that CEntrance and Meier Audio are one in the same.  And lots of people can tell you that the DACmini CX does a great job with the LCD-2.

Currently, with your Ultrasone Pro 900, you're enjoying a very colored frequency response - it's not flat - it's what I call "FUN" - somewhat like the difference between a Sennheiser HD650 and HD600, but more so (more colored than the HD650) - with recessed mids, enhanced but still controlled bass, and a bright treble.

When you go to the LCD-2, you'll be leaving all that behind, shifting to a much flatter response than that of the Pro 900, with sweeter highs that are also darker, plenty of tight, controlled bass but with less amplitude, and mids that are to die for.  The Meier Stepdance is famous for being very neutral across the spectrum and transparent - it imparts almost nothing of itself on the signal.  Thus, the Stepdance will neither flatten the coloration of your Pro 900, nor warp the flatness of the LCD-2, but it can drive both of them very well, in my opinion.

I've probably told you several things you already knew, but I hope this has been of some value.

Mike

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #5,190 of 5,992
Pro tip: For more forward mids and treble push the cups backwards so the inside edge of the front of the ear pads are touching the front edge of your ears, in addition to this for more bass press on the back edge of the outside of the cups so they tilt more towards the back of your head. Try it, the changes should be very apparent.

Placing is very important for these cans and completely changes the sound due to S-logic and the offset drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back