Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #5,161 of 5,992
What desktop amps do you guys like with the pro900's? I've been thinking about the LD mk1+ or the Matrix m-stage. Both should bring a little warmth into these cans, but I want to know what you think 

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #5,162 of 5,992
Quote:
What desktop amps do you guys like with the pro900's? I've been thinking about the LD mk1+ or the Matrix m-stage. Both should bring a little warmth into these cans, but I want to know what you think 

It's curious that despite the quite prominent bass presence, the Pro 900 aren't exactly warm headphones, which is why a neutral amp leans to a warmer signature does benefit them, but neutral amps work good too. What's important is that they're not paired with brighter amps, like the Icon HDP, for instance. I've also heard good things about the Schiit Asgard paired with the Pro 900.

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #5,164 of 5,992
Quote:

I use the Schitt Valhalla and BiFrost combo and love it! Gets more use than any other audio set I got. It's not even close to neutral, just incredibly fun! :D

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #5,166 of 5,992
Quote:

I find a lot of DIY amps pairs really good with the Pro 900s  Like the CK²III or the M^3 both will work very well with the Pro 900s.  I have my amps blanaced so my headphones are balanced as well.  I'm not saying this is better in no way but to me being balanced has better control over the drivers therfore the bass is tighter annd more accurate IMO and the highs are not as hot.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #5,167 of 5,992
Quote:

I find a lot of DIY amps pairs really good with the Pro 900s  Like the CK²III or the M^3 both will work very well with the Pro 900s.  I have my amps blanaced so my headphones are balanced as well.  I'm not saying this is better in no way but to me being balanced has better control over the drivers therfore the bass is tighter annd more accurate IMO and the highs are not as hot.

Don't you have to balance the cans as well... I'm not sure a balance amp matters if the drivers them selvs are not... 

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #5,169 of 5,992
Quote:

^^ Yes the CANS are balanced as well. ^^

Nice nice, man that must be nice :O how did you go about Balanceing the Drivers themselfs?

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #5,171 of 5,992
Quote:

With a 4-pin XLR

Left Driver
1.  L+
2.  L-

right Driver
3.  R+
4.  R-

Explain plox :3, 4-pin XLR doesn't mean much to me, although I understand why its +- +- to complete a circuit I assume

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #5,173 of 5,992
Quote:

Not sure I understand what your looking for?    I'm just saying it's on a 4-pin XLR connector and not say like dual 3-pin XLRs.  

What is a 4-pin XLR Connector? :3 

I espically want to know, since I found the Spdif Out bracket on my Mother Board yesterday, so in the nest 5-6 months I want to crank an optical out driven Balanced amp on some Balanced cans :D

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #5,174 of 5,992
Quote:
What is a 4-pin XLR Connector? :3 

I espically want to know, since I found the Spdif Out bracket on my Mother Board yesterday, so in the nest 5-6 months I want to crank an optical out driven Balanced amp on some Balanced cans :D

It's the connector at the other end of the headphone cable that goes into the amp.  This is the balanced connector on the headphones opposite of a Single ended connector.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #5,175 of 5,992
Quote:

It's the connector at the other end of the headphone cable that goes into the amp.  This is the balanced connector on the headphones opposite of a Single ended connector.

Oh I see, yea I looked at a DNA Tube amp today that had a Balanced XLR 4 Pin Connector output on it! Makes sense now! So then what is needed to convert your 3.5mm input jack into a Balanced 4pin XLR? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back