Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Oct 17, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #5,146 of 5,992
Quote:
I actually bought my pair last year during Black Friday on Amazon for roughly the same price. They've been good to me!

Nice

Also don't know if I shared this with you guys or not but, a lot of ppl suggest the cMoy as an alternative to the E11 and well I have em both and that suggestion is a double edged sword

here's what you need to know

E11 More Aggressive bass , a little dark hiss's a little transient highs
cMoy Mellower bass, a little more detail Smoother highs and a tad bit more forward mids

also the cMoy is a little colored and the E11 is not as colored [it's not neutral as some say it is, the darkness and warmth in the Lows take away a little brightness in the highs] 

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #5,147 of 5,992
Hey guys

I'm considering getting the pro 900, mostly because I'm a basshead and they seem great, however I was worried that the mids would be too recessed for me. Because of that, I was gonna get the denon pads and do the kees mod which is said to improve the mids, but I didn't really understand how to do the Kees mod.

here's think I read: http://www.head-fi.org/t/396267/how-bright-is-an-ultrasone-pro-900/60

I understood the first part where he covered three holes with electrical tape, but I didn't understand the rest of it, could someone please explain it to me? Do you think the kees mod fixes the midrange, or will it still be recessed?

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #5,148 of 5,992
I'm selling my Pro 900s. See signature. New lower price.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #5,149 of 5,992
Quote:
Nice

Also don't know if I shared this with you guys or not but, a lot of ppl suggest the cMoy as an alternative to the E11 and well I have em both and that suggestion is a double edged sword

here's what you need to know

E11 More Aggressive bass , a little dark hiss's a little transient highs
cMoy Mellower bass, a little more detail Smoother highs and a tad bit more forward mids

also the cMoy is a little colored and the E11 is not as colored [it's not neutral as some say it is, the darkness and warmth in the Lows take away a little brightness in the highs] 

I find the PA2V2 to match better with the Pro 900 rather than the E11, which doesn't have as much driving power.

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #5,150 of 5,992
Quote:
Hey guys

here's think I read: http://www.head-fi.org/t/396267/how-bright-is-an-ultrasone-pro-900/60

I understood the first part where he covered three holes with electrical tape, but I didn't understand the rest of it, could someone please explain it to me? Do you think the kees mod fixes the midrange, or will it still be recessed?

No ... do not cover the three holes ... go to post # 70 of the thread.
1. attach self-adhesive felt disc on middle hole of baffle plate
2. remove baffle plate & attach self-adhesive disc to inside of cup, away from the driver
3. insert cotton cosmetic pad in cup.

haven't heard the modded 900s myself.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #5,152 of 5,992
Quote:
Music has new life with these compared to the Beats I was using. 

Sadly the list of cans that can be associated with that statement in comparision to beats is a long one <3

Non the less nice to see you like it, btw what's the cost of a fully modded pro 900? Is any one selling here on head fi

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #5,153 of 5,992
Quote:
Hey guys

I'm considering getting the pro 900, mostly because I'm a basshead and they seem great, however I was worried that the mids would be too recessed for me. Because of that, I was gonna get the denon pads and do the kees mod which is said to improve the mids, but I didn't really understand how to do the Kees mod.

The kee's mod kind of helps midrange, but I feel like it does that by toning down the bass, and make the treble a little less sharp. J$ pads are well worth the money, if you are already going the pro900 route. they make a much larger difference than the kee's mod in my opinon. I haven't heard any headphones in the same price category, but the pro900's even with kees and J$ mod, are still not even close to balanced. the mids are still significantly recessed, making rock not that enjoyable relatively to edm. but the bass is great. I think proper amping helps the midrange as well, out of an e17/ipod the mids pale in comparison to out of a schiit lyr/bifrost, but i'm sure anyone could have told you that.

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #5,154 of 5,992
Quote:
Hey guys

I haven't heard the denon d2k, but perhaps find one of those if you can. I think the reactions towards those are much less bipolar than the pro900's.

and also, the cost of the kees mod is about 5$... if thats what you mean by fully modded

Oct 19, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #5,155 of 5,992
Damn guys.
I have to share this, although you probably don't share this particular issue that I just "figured out".

Ever since I got these headphones I have always heard a kind of imbalance, especially in the very low frequencies. I heard the bass a lot louder in my left cup, which got me worried that the right cup might be defect. I had over 6 months always assumed it was my amplifier that caused this particular issue, but upon further investigation with other amps & headphones I found that it sounded kind of the same regarding the imbalance in the lower frequencies,. Tonight I just messed around with the ear pads A LOT, since my ear pads are not completely uniform, (which some here on head-fi reported they had circular ear pads). One part is thicker than the opposite, and I have always had the "thicker" part facing my back on both ear cups.

So here is the solution to my particular problem that I've had ever since I got these headphones:
Have the thicker part of the left ear cup facing your neck, while the thicker part of the right ear cup faces your face. This fixes my problem, and I get perfect volume balance. I guess this is how S-Logic works with my ears, but if you've had this particular issue that I described; I suggest you just try this out.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #5,156 of 5,992
Quote:
 I guess this is how S-Logic works with my ears, but if you've had this particular issue that I described; I suggest you just try this out.

That S-Logic sound pretty amazing! I mean WOW 6 month learning curve... good job Ultrasone <3, although in reality I have that issue with my XB 700's as well, keep in mind that the drivers respond at different level's as well [not enough that you should notice] but combine that with an wide range of other varibles and yea you might notice a differance, for me when I get a Cold or my Sinus are enflamed then I really notice a differeance :/ [but that's my body not the headphones] Because my [more bass on one ear] than the other issue happend 3-4 days a month and never back to back so it's just according to how badly my sinus are stuffed up

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #5,157 of 5,992
Pro 900 are known to be very sensitive to their position on the head, as well as the pads sometimes making a difference, and having the cable inserted and screwed properly is essential.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #5,158 of 5,992
Quote:
Pro 900 are known to be very sensitive to their position on the head, as well as the pads sometimes making a difference, and having the cable inserted and screwed properly is essential.

Fickle fickle fickle, non the less they still look so darn sexy :3, I'm sure I'll own a pair some day ^^ [and I should have a job in the next month so maybe even this year ;3] 

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #5,159 of 5,992
Quote:
Fickle fickle fickle, non the less they still look so darn sexy :3, I'm sure I'll own a pair some day ^^ [and I should have a job in the next month so maybe even this year ;3] 

If its signature is your cup of tea, you're in for a treat :)

All I mentioned above is easily done, then it's all enjoyment from there onwards
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #5,160 of 5,992
Quote:

If its signature is your cup of tea, you're in for a treat :)

Well I'm finding the Byerdynamic Sig is very nice... Enjoying Opiou on my Dt 880s much more than on my Xb 700 >.>

Still Collecting cans is always fun to do <3. It keeps us kids out of Drugs ;3 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back