Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #5,026 of 5,992
Quote:
Maybe i will grow up one day or my music tastes will change but for now Pro 900 all the way... Bass + EDM.

Yea that's how it is, trust me as fun as they are sooner or later it gets old so it's nice to have something that can handle entirely new genres of music. But we all like that super fun SICK DROP that comes from a good bass can, and truth be told I'm enjoying my xb700s unamped... seeing as I'm listening to all Dub Step on them so with a SUb Bass amp they should be super fun <3

But a fun can is usually one of the first you buy and you'll be happy to have it but sooner or later you'll end up on an HE 400 or dt 880 <3, I'm wondering though If I go for the He-400 or the 500... I hear the 500 is great for EDM as well! 

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #5,027 of 5,992
Yeah, the PRO900 is pretty much the king of midbass while the XB700 / 1000's lock down the sub bass arena.

If you really still strive for *more* than that than really the only option is to go to in ear monitors. I have a pair of Super.fi 5 EB's reshelled and re-tuned by Unique Melody and there really I cannot find any headphone that can come even close to matching the sheer amount of bass these IEM's can do (way too much for my liking on alot of dubstep, makes my ear drums tickle :p ). That being said, the anything more than midbass on these IEMs is far from flat, as they only have a single balanced armature to compete against the comparitively massive bass diaphragm. My next venture will probably be getting a pair of Unique Melody's Merlin's. My guess is they'll match (or at least get close to) the bass of my current IEM's while the the additional balanced armatures should really clean up the midrange and high end.

Oct 1, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #5,028 of 5,992
Quote:
Yeah, the PRO900 is pretty much the king of midbass while the XB700 / 1000's lock down the sub bass arena.

If you really still strive for *more* than that than really the only option is to go to in ear monitors. 

No what I need is an amp I've got a mid bass amp for a sub bass can xD, still though IEMS and headphones have different bass. I'll admit IEMS put out some SERIOUS bass but in an entirely different way Cans do, SO if I want more I just need to w8 for my cMoy to come in and then TADA

But I do want a good mid bass can, again I have my hopes up for the dt880!

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #5,029 of 5,992
Quote:

If you really still strive for *more* than that than really the only option is to go to in ear monitors. I have a pair of Super.fi 5 EB's reshelled and re-tuned by Unique Melody and there really I cannot find any headphone that can come even close to matching the sheer amount of bass these IEM's can do (way too much for my liking on alot of dubstep, makes my ear drums tickle :p ). That being said, the anything more than midbass on these IEMs is far from flat, as they only have a single balanced armature to compete against the comparitively massive bass diaphragm. My next venture will probably be getting a pair of Unique Melody's Merlin's. My guess is they'll match (or at least get close to) the bass of my current IEM's while the the additional balanced armatures should really clean up the midrange and high end.

O rly? IEM's...hmmm more bass you say? fantastic, this goes against all I thought i assumed about IEM's...what kind of bass is it? can you describe it compared to the bass of a full sized headphone??

You have me intrigued...

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #5,030 of 5,992
On the Pro 900...Well I am impressed with the clarity and detail of these cans, The mids... the mids are just THERE doing their thing in the middle and you have the other frequency's on each side trying to impress... I can't tell if they are recessed or not which is a very good sign. It's not like i take off my headphones after a music session and go "Oh... the mids are recessed" It's more like "Wow, the detail, the clarity, that mid bass..." I don't even think about the mids. Just like the OP there's nothing special about the mids, they are just there...not rare...not well done....just average. The mids are recessed myth is mostly due to positioning as i have said before...position them wrong...mids are gone!

Sibilance only shows up on one or two tracks and really has not been an issue. The highs seem to have eithier rolled off a bit or my brain has gotten used to the sound signature, They are not as bright as they were when i first put them on. The brightness is equating to clarity for me because when i put on my other headphones they all sound muddy, distant, less detail...

Otherwise...very happy customer.

By the way I am picking up the E10 hopefully today. I will post initial impressions.

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #5,031 of 5,992
Quote:
O rly? IEM's...hmmm more bass you say? fantastic, this goes against all I thought i assumed about IEM's...what kind of bass is it? can you describe it compared to the bass of a full sized headphone??

You have me intrigued...

It's hard to explain but the impact is there but it's not as tactile, BIG cans will make ur entire ear shake a little you really feel it on ur earlobes and some times in the head band evenm where as with IEMS [I used a crummy SKull CAndy Brand] it was more of a vibration within ur inner ear... so different but still the same sense of tactile impact! But for me iems lack warm bass, the gentle push of a smooth bass line is for cans only <3 but for big NASTY THUMPING bass yea IEMS are better, since they r RIGHT in ur ear

I just don't like iems! Some one elese might have a better desciption but it is a little shocking I suppose 

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #5,032 of 5,992
Okay just plugged in the E10...wow, the music sounds like it has "body" less thin...the bass is really really freaking full and nice now. Seems like more quantity too...fantastic. Hits HARD and low...these cans must of been starving for juice cause this is great.

It seems like there is more soundstage now as everything has a bit more depth and separation...It really does feel like i am listening to $600 headphones.

Currently Exceeding my expectations...

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #5,033 of 5,992
Quote:
It seems like there is more soundstage now as everything has a bit more depth and separation...It really does feel like i am listening to $600 headphones.

xD glad your enjoying it

OMG Digital Mystikz 16/48 is some smexy stuff! I'm liking my cMoy it's not nearly as Dark as the Fiio e6, the same goes for the Hifiman hm 601, both mah new amp and new DAP are "brighter" than the insanely dark Zune HD Fiio e6, in addition I'm really loving the Detail that the cMoy is brining! I never realized how bloated the Fiio E6 sounds... not that bloated is bad when you doing Dub Step, still I'm glad I went cMoy Hifiman combo for the DT's, 

Net Sky 16/48's sound better with the XB's on the new DAP/Amp combo, can't w8 to get them on the Dt 880s :D only 3 more days! 

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #5,034 of 5,992
Quote:
xD glad your enjoying it

OMG Digital Mystikz 16/48 is some smexy stuff! I'm liking my cMoy it's not nearly as Dark as the Fiio e6, the same goes for the Hifiman hm 601, both mah new amp and new DAP are "brighter" than the insanely dark Zune HD Fiio e6, in addition I'm really loving the Detail that the cMoy is brining! I never realized how bloated the Fiio E6 sounds... not that bloated is bad when you doing Dub Step, still I'm glad I went cMoy Hifiman combo for the DT's, 

Net Sky 16/48's sound better with the XB's on the new DAP/Amp combo, can't w8 to get them on the Dt 880s :D only 3 more days! 

16/48? 

The only issue is that while bass boost on the E10 is interesting for some songs, it seems to just muddy up the mid range and sounds like the bass is coming out of a tube...i mean sure there is more of it but   it steps on the rest of the spectrum and just becomes a bit bloated. It is fun i guess for testing purposes but i am really satisfied with the bass just from the amp itself...i don't need to boost it.

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #5,035 of 5,992
The sibilance is pretty much gone now.

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #5,036 of 5,992
Quote:
16/48? 

The only issue is that while bass boost on the E10 is interesting for some songs, it seems to just muddy up the mid range and sounds like the bass is coming out of a tube...i mean sure there is more of it but   it steps on the rest of the spectrum and just becomes a bit bloated. It is fun i guess for testing purposes but i am really satisfied with the bass just from the amp itself...i don't need to boost it.

16/48 reocording quality, it refers to .flacs. 

Here's a nice quote from an article that explains it well 

[size=10pt]  [/size]

[size=10pt] [size=x-small]Bit Depth[/size][size=x-small] refers to the number of bits you have to capture audio.  The easiest way to envision this is as a series of levels, that audio energy can be sliced at any given moment in time.  With 16 bit audio, there are 65,536 possible levels.  With every bit of greater resolution, the number of levels double.  By the time we get to 24 bit, we actually have 16,777,216 levels.  Remember we are talking about [/size][size=x-small]a slice of audio frozen in a single moment of time. [/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [size=x-small]Now lets add our friend Time into the picture. That's where we get into the Sample Rate.[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [size=x-small]The sample rate is the number of times your audio is measured (sampled) per second.  So at the red book standard for CDs, the sample rate is 44.1 kHz or 44,100 slices every second.  So what is the 96khz sample rate?  You guessed it.  It's[/size][size=x-small] 96,000 slices of audio sampled each second.[/size][/size]

Basically what it means is the higher the recording the better it sounds, and this is because there is more of the audio captured or avalibe to be reproduced and there is more room for the audio to be reproduced, matchmatically speaking, meaning the little details come out more in 16bit and even more so in 24bit audio, as opposed to 320kbs .mp3

but with refrance to the bloated bass it could be the amp, my Fiio E6 is REALLY muddy, I never knew that till I plugged in my cMoy, man that cMoy has SO much more detail and clarity than the Fiio, it may be the same with the E10... and for me the real issue I'm having is I like the impact the Fiio brings but not the mud... 

Here read over this as I update it

So it might be that the Amp is making things muddier than you'd like them, and personally... I'd rather have the deatail than the impact 

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #5,037 of 5,992
Quote:
16/48 reocording quality, it refers to .flacs. 

Here's a nice quote from an article that explains it well 

[size=10pt]  [/size]

[size=10pt] [size=x-small]Bit Depth[/size][size=x-small] refers to the number of bits you have to capture audio.  The easiest way to envision this is as a series of levels, that audio energy can be sliced at any given moment in time.  With 16 bit audio, there are 65,536 possible levels.  With every bit of greater resolution, the number of levels double.  By the time we get to 24 bit, we actually have 16,777,216 levels.  Remember we are talking about [/size][size=x-small]a slice of audio frozen in a single moment of time. [/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [size=x-small]Now lets add our friend Time into the picture. That's where we get into the Sample Rate.[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [size=x-small]The sample rate is the number of times your audio is measured (sampled) per second.  So at the red book standard for CDs, the sample rate is 44.1 kHz or 44,100 slices every second.  So what is the 96khz sample rate?  You guessed it.  It's[/size][size=x-small] 96,000 slices of audio sampled each second.[/size][/size]

Basically what it means is the higher the recording the better it sounds, and this is because there is more of the audio captured or avalibe to be reproduced and there is more room for the audio to be reproduced, matchmatically speaking, meaning the little details come out more in 16bit and even more so in 24bit audio, as opposed to 320kbs .mp3

but with refrance to the bloated bass it could be the amp, my Fiio E6 is REALLY muddy, I never knew that till I plugged in my cMoy, man that cMoy has SO much more detail and clarity than the Fiio, it may be the same with the E10... and for me the real issue I'm having is I like the impact the Fiio brings but not the mud... 

Here read over this as I update it

So it might be that the Amp is making things muddier than you'd like them, and personally... I'd rather have the deatail than the impact 

So 16/48 is 16 bits and 48kHz? How does all this relate to say what foobar is saying my .wav is running at right now....which is 

Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Bits per sample: 16
Bitrate: 1411 kbps

Would that mean i'm listening to 16/44.1 recording quality? lol, how can I get 16/48?

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #5,038 of 5,992
Quote:

So 16/48 is 16 bits and 48kHz? How does all this relate to say what foobar is saying my .wav is running at right now....which is 

Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Bits per sample: 16
Bitrate: 1411 kbps

Would that mean i'm listening to 16/44.1 recording quality? lol, how can I get 16/48?

... Get better losess files is all I can say! It all depends on where u get your music from, I would think Beat Port would at least have 16/48s and if you REALLY want to get some 24/96  you might have to buy LPS and record them digitally in that out put :x

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #5,039 of 5,992
Quote:
... Get better losess files is all I can say! It all depends on where u get your music from, I would think Beat Port would at least have 16/48s and if you REALLY want to get some 24/96  you might have to buy LPS and record them digitally in that out put :x

Beatport is giving me 16/44.1 .wav files :p I don't know why.

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #5,040 of 5,992
That's because the overwhelming majority of music is 16/44.1. Even FLAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back