Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #4,997 of 5,992
Quote:
Have you been trying different positions some more? The sound changes a bit depending on how you wear them. By pushing them forward I seem to get more bloated bass, and pushing them too far back they get too harsh. Keeping them "in-between" I get the best results.

Hey you know what, the idea of having to push my head phones around my ears sounds like SERIOUS fun :D, <3 anyways still nice to hear you guys like em, I had fun chatting about them but I think it;s time I quit roaming this forum seeing as I'm not planning on going with Pro 900's any time soon <3

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #4,998 of 5,992
Quote:
Hey you know what, the idea of having to push my head phones around my ears sounds like SERIOUS fun :D, <3 anyways still nice to hear you guys like em, I had fun chatting about them but I think it;s time I quit roaming this forum seeing as I'm not planning on going with Pro 900's any time soon <3

That's good then, It is what it is! The Pro 900, I'm not going to waste my time marketing it to people.

I wouldn't say it's a chore to push them around your head.. you don't have to contort your body into a pretzel to be able to wear them...hehe

What headphones are you considering? what headphones do you own currently? what music do you listen too?...chances are i considered them also!

Headphones i considered but passed up.

Denon AH-D2000
HiFi Man HE-400
AudioTechnica AD900
M-Audio Q40
AKG K550
Ultrasone HFI-580
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
AudioTechnica A900X
Denon AH-D1100
Creative Aurvana Live
Beyerdynamic DT 990

Cheers.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #4,999 of 5,992

It's not a big problem at all. You get used to it, and when you know how you want to wear them it just takes seconds!

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #5,000 of 5,992
Quote:
That's good then, It is what it is! The Pro 900, I'm not going to waste my time marketing it to people.

I wouldn't say it's a chore to push them around your head.. you don't have to contort your body into a pretzel to be able to wear them...hehe

What headphones are you considering? what headphones do you own currently? what music do you listen too?...chances are i considered them also!

Headphones i considered but passed up.

Denon AH-D2000
HiFi Man HE-400
AudioTechnica AD900
M-Audio Q40
AKG K550
Ultrasone HFI-580
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
AudioTechnica A900X
Denon AH-D1100
Creative Aurvana Live
Beyerdynamic DT 990

Cheers.

Well I'm a Sony XB guy only atm, but my Dt 880s r coming soon... the Denons I've considered, the HFI 580 is below me atm

I think the next serious bass head can I'll get will be like the Hifiman HE-500 or Dennon 5000... I'm leaning more towards the HE-500 atm, I want to have the XB 1000 just to have them and get to experince the ultimate in detailed Sub Bass, they r a one trick pony and I'm a sucker for that trick <3

Also the 600 Ohm Dt 880 is said to be darker than it's lower Ohm'd counterparts [going with 250 my self] 

But I like to much music to have only one pair of cans <3, the XB's r for Dub Step only [my whole Zune is at about 28gbs of Dub Step atm... loving it all <3] my soon to come Dt 880 Hifiman HM 601 DAP is for Nu Jazz, INstrumental Rock, Classical Jazz and maybe some EDM if it has nice Mid bass

and I'm using a cMoy 2x9V for them both [seeing as I think my E6 died today....] 

So I'm just not sold on the Ultra Pros and since I got the Dt's as my Tier 2, my next MAJOR upgrade will need to run me around $800+ <3, because that's just how I do things, start off cheap then progressivly buy better stuff [so the XB Cowon Combo will be 2-3 Months tops, then ofc it'll be around 7-8 Months Till I start looking at the HE-500's!]

Non the less though I hve a pair of Old Koss TD/75's, and they are touchy like the Pro 900's so trust me I've spend a few years having cans like that, and I prefer consistent sound! Fickle cans are annoying since my head is kinda big and my hair makes stuff slid around... 

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #5,001 of 5,992
Quote:
Well I'm a Sony XB guy only atm, but my Dt 880s r coming soon... the Denons I've considered, the HFI 580 is below me atm

I think the next serious bass head can I'll get will be like the Hifiman HE-500 or Dennon 5000... I'm leaning more towards the HE-500 atm, I want to have the XB 1000 just to have them and get to experince the ultimate in detailed Sub Bass, they r a one trick pony and I'm a sucker for that trick <3

Also the 600 Ohm Dt 880 is said to be darker than it's lower Ohm'd counterparts [going with 250 my self] 

But I like to much music to have only one pair of cans <3, the XB's r for Dub Step only [my whole Zune is at about 28gbs of Dub Step atm... loving it all <3] my soon to come Dt 880 Hifiman HM 601 DAP is for Nu Jazz, INstrumental Rock, Classical Jazz and maybe some EDM if it has nice Mid bass

and I'm using a cMoy 2x9V for them both [seeing as I think my E6 died today....] 

So I'm just not sold on the Ultra Pros and since I got the Dt's as my Tier 2, my next MAJOR upgrade will need to run me around $800+ <3, because that's just how I do things, start off cheap then progressivly buy better stuff [so the XB Cowon Combo will be 2-3 Months tops, then ofc it'll be around 7-8 Months Till I start looking at the HE-500's!]

Non the less though I hve a pair of Old Koss TD/75's, and they are touchy like the Pro 900's so trust me I've spend a few years having cans like that, and I prefer consistent sound! Fickle cans are annoying since my head is kinda big and my hair makes stuff slid around... 

:) I currently enjoy Dubstep, DnB, Liquid dub/DnB, Electro, and a little bit of house. I really am enjoying how EDM has evolved over the past few years...I used to be into hardcore, vocal trance, trance, psytrance, house, industrial metal...

Suffice to say i needed a headphone to relive these genres...and over the past few days i have relived them well.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #5,002 of 5,992
Quote:
:) I currently enjoy Dubstep, DnB, Liquid dub/DnB, Electro, and a little bit of house. I really am enjoying how EDM has evolved over the past few years...I used to be into hardcore, vocal trance, trance, psytrance, house, industrial metal...

Suffice to say i needed a headphone to relive these genres...and over the past few days i have relived them well.

Indeed, the pro 900 does EDM pretty well, but it's V shape makes it unique to the listener, but again I think if I'm going to spend aroud $330 for a head phone... I might as well w8 save up the extra money and go for something that's really going to WOW me [the HE-500 in this case] 

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #5,003 of 5,992
Quote:
Indeed, the pro 900 does EDM pretty well, but it's V shape makes it unique to the listener, but again I think if I'm going to spend aroud $330 for a head phone... I might as well w8 save up the extra money and go for something that's really going to WOW me [the HE-500 in this case] 

Yes i hear those will *wow* you, the fast transient response of planar magnetic drivers do wonders with EDM. Pro 900's are fast cans...but the HE-500 are even faster!

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #5,004 of 5,992
Quote:
Yes i hear those will *wow* you, the fast transient response of planar magnetic drivers do wonders with EDM. Pro 900's are fast cans...but the HE-500 are even faster!

Yeaper, I've also been told that the LCD-2 Rev 2 is even darker than the HE-500 with the same quickness [although these cans r $700 & $1000 respectivly] Although I hear people complain about the LCD2 being almost 2 dark

Ethier way, when it comes to bass cans I want to get away from Crazy V shapes and closer to flatter Frq Cans, here's a chart that reflects what I have and what I want

So the Dt's r getting me closer to where I want to be with my EDM listening <3

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #5,005 of 5,992
Quote:
Yeaper, I've also been told that the LCD-2 Rev 2 is even darker than the HE-500 with the same quickness [although these cans r $700 & $1000 respectivly] Although I hear people complain about the LCD2 being almost 2 dark

Ethier way, when it comes to bass cans I want to get away from Crazy V shapes and closer to flatter Frq Cans, here's a chart that reflects what I have and what I want

So the Dt's r getting me closer to where I want to be with my EDM listening <3

Sorry because this is a Pro 900 thread you can't leave out the Pro 900 on the graph :)

See that mid-bass hump? that's where all the fun is at, it's what makes these headphones so special... And yes can you see why the highs are sometimes harsh on these cans. The confusing thing is the mids seem to be inline with everything else...so i am more convinced that the *lack of mids* is just S-Logic and poor positioning on the users head.

I'm confused tho, you say you are upgrading too various cans...what do you own now? just the XB series and the DT880 on the way?

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #5,006 of 5,992
Quote:
Sorry because this is a Pro 900 thread you can't leave out the Pro 900 on the graph :)
See that mid-bass hump? that's where all the fun is at, it's what makes these headphones so special... And yes can you see why the highs are sometimes harsh on these cans. The confusing thing is the mids seem to be inline with everything else...so i am more convinced that the *lack of mids* is just S-Logic and poor positioning on the users head.

I'm confused tho, you say you are upgrading too various cans...what do you own now? just the XB series and the DT880 on the way?

, you seem to get it just right, Yes I own the xb700 and the dt 880 is on it's way. 

And I understand why you guys think that's fun <3, look at the xb Series that MASSIVE spike in the Sub bass area is FUN with Dub Step but not so much anything elese

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #5,007 of 5,992
Quote:
, you seem to get it just right, Yes I own the xb700 and the dt 880 is on it's way. 

And I understand why you guys think that's fun <3, look at the xb Series that MASSIVE spike in the Sub bass area is FUN with Dub Step but not so much anything elese

haha, yeah that does look like a lot of fun, would like to try them one some songs.

Today i finally had to re-teach my brain to listen at lower volumes as listening to the Pro 900 loud for two days was becoming an addiction. No ringing in my ears and surprisingly no fatigue from that adventure, the headphones also stayed quite comfy on my head for extended hours.

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #5,009 of 5,992
Quote:
haha, yeah that does look like a lot of fun, would like to try them one some songs.

Today i finally had to re-teach my brain to listen at lower volumes as listening to the Pro 900 loud for two days was becoming an addiction. No ringing in my ears and surprisingly no fatigue from that adventure, the headphones also stayed quite comfy on my head for extended hours.

yea that can happen, I never listen any louder than the max volume of my Zune, which is rare usually one song. I don't get ringing in my ears though... but if you have to make it loud to get the bass you want you should consider a new can :/, like with the Xb700 Drum and Bass never has enough bass, so I have to crank it to get the kind of response Dub Step has, SO I need new cans, because my XB 700s are NOT handleing DnB at the lvl I desire, although there are some Dub Step songs I still crank up, just cuz they sound so good <3 xD So i feel ya, and good re education there lol 

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #5,010 of 5,992
Quote:
yea that can happen, I never listen any louder than the max volume of my Zune, which is rare usually one song. I don't get ringing in my ears though... but if you have to make it loud to get the bass you want you should consider a new can :/, like with the Xb700 Drum and Bass never has enough bass, so I have to crank it to get the kind of response Dub Step has, SO I need new cans, because my XB 700s are NOT handleing DnB at the lvl I desire, although there are some Dub Step songs I still crank up, just cuz they sound so good <3 xD So i feel ya, and good re education there lol 

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that all headphones are a bit underwhelming for bass. if you have the X700 with a response curve like that and still want more bass you might as well have subwoofers on your ears. I did not realize i was a bass head until i started listening to EDM...for most tracks it makes up half the song, it's the solid foundation the rest of the song is anchored too. There is so much to be missed down low if the headphones can't reproduced them...I started finding *hidden* bass lines in tracks i did not even know had them...and with the highs...well i started noticing clicks, pops, scratches all the nuances in the upper ranges showed up good or bad. It was a real treat. Yes volume level seems to be a catalyst for epic bass on the Pro 900. I do listen to quite low volumes then average...this may be the reason. Some songs are just incredible with the amount and depth of skull crushing reverberating bass...so it must be track specific also.

That is one of my gripes with people who have climbatize their brain into handling high volume and you actually can hear all the detail of a song coming from the headphones or earbuds when your on transit...It blows my mind...I listen to probably 1/20 that volume and shame myself for ever going higher. Ignorance is bliss untill you can't hear....then it's just a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back