Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 7, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #4,892 of 5,992
Quote:
I use my Macbook Air as a musicplayer. I listen to FLAC and Spotify. Albums I download and other music I listen on Spotify. Mainly listen to hiphop, pop and rock.

E10 / E17 should be more then fine for that as long as you use a USB cable. 
Make sure to burn in your Ultrasones before you really judge them, at least 10 - 15 hours will make them sound great, 100+ makes them sound amazing. 

Depending on what DaC / Chip is in your MB Air you should even be able to drive them without an amp / dac ... my Macbook pro can handle it just fine. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #4,894 of 5,992
Just got the Ultrasone's and I must say: they rock! The beat is insane and the highs are great and the mids are good. Only thing is that you can't listen to Spotify, the headphones aren't forgiving at all. The Fiio E10 is enough for these as well. All and all I already favor these over the Beyer DT990 250ohm.

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #4,896 of 5,992
Quote:
looking to buy one, but i've heard bad comments on highs. I am worrying the bass will cover the mid and highs. BTW, should i get e7 or e17 if i need a portable amp. thanks

I don't think that you will need to worry about the bass covering the highs for two reasons that I can think of.  I am not an audiophile so I am just going to use my own words/descriptions to say what I mean.

One, the bass is not muddy.  It is punchy and separate so it will not 'muddy' up the sound and the highs.  Two, there is enough high that it will still be present even if the bass was not so punchy.

Regarding the mid, well that may be a different story.  But to give you my perspective, I thought that I liked strong mid too but as I listen to more HP, I am now starting to think that I do not care about the mid as much as I thought I did.

I haven't tried the e7 but I do have the e17.  It was my first amp and I think it is well worth the money and very versatile.  If you have the extra dough, I would recommend the e17.

Good luck with whichever route you decide to go.

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #4,897 of 5,992
Yeah, the bass is very controlled. The highs will definitely not be masked, and I believe the mids on the Pro 900 are recessed just due to the bass and treble emphasis, and not because the bass covers up the mids. A v-shaped curve will automatically have recessed mids as the bass and treble is louder than the mids. That's just by design. That being said, I find the Pro 2900's mids to be quite recessed and it doesn't have anywhere near the quantity of bass as the Pro 900s...

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #4,898 of 5,992
Quote:
Yeah, the bass is very controlled. The highs will definitely not be masked, and I believe the mids on the Pro 900 are recessed just due to the bass and treble emphasis, and not because the bass covers up the mids. A v-shaped curve will automatically have recessed mids as the bass and treble is louder than the mids. That's just by design. That being said, I find the Pro 2900's mids to be quite recessed and it doesn't have anywhere near the quantity of bass as the Pro 900s...

wt abt the highs when they compare to 2900?

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #4,900 of 5,992
The highs are very similar, IMHO. Both are metallic sounding and quite screechy. Though not DT990 levels screechy.

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #4,901 of 5,992
Quote:
looking to buy one, but i've heard bad comments on highs. I am worrying the bass will cover the mid and highs. BTW, should i get e7 or e17 if i need a portable amp. thanks

Bass will not cover up highs / mids even on my Asus STX driving up all low freq max it does not cover up mids or highs. 
E17 is great all around dac / amp, get an E7 if you have a Galaxy S3 Samsung phone, you can use the DaC + Line out dock + AMP & the sound is spectacular. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #4,902 of 5,992
Quote:
btw, for the pro 900, how much time i need to burn in?

I think I am at 150+ hours & they still get better and better but you will see results at 10+ ... this was my 2nd pair so I hit them with pink noise from jlab 1 - 2 times a day, 30-60 mins each time for 2 days to speed up the process just a bit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back