Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #4,861 of 5,992
Quote:
So what's the verdict on the 2900s - Are they as good as the 900s?  Or are they the same with a little less bass?

Impossible to tell for sure without comparing them side by side. But, given the new information, I'd say if you were to decide, it would be up to whether you want open or closed sound and not to worry about the differences. That is, if you are going to do the mod.

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #4,862 of 5,992
Quote:
Impossible to tell for sure without comparing them side by side. But, given the new information, I'd say if you were to decide, it would be up to whether you want open or closed sound and not to worry about the differences. That is, if you are going to do the mod.

I guess I'm talking more about stock with no mods.  If you already have the 900s is it even worth going after the 2900s?

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #4,863 of 5,992
Quote:

I guess I'm talking more about stock with no mods.  If you already have the 900s is it even worth going after the 2900s?

Stock with no mods, the Pro 2900 has less bass than the Pro 900s. That much I can say for sure. Some people prefer the 2900s, some don't. You'll need to do some reading of reviews to see if they're what you're looking for.

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #4,864 of 5,992
The Pro 900 > Pro 2900. I didn't have a chance to compare them side by side, but I did hear both not too far apart from one another. The Pro 900 is cheaper, more exciting, and just as good as the Pro 2900. The Pro 2900, despite being open, didn't sound open. Sounded about as open as the Pro 900. The mids and treble were similar, and the bass has much less quantity on the Pro 2900. The quality of the bass is amazing, but there were times where I felt they were bass light, even next to the Q701 (at times).

There's no logical reason why the Pro 2900 costs so damn much. Stick with the Pro 900. The Pro 2900 is at a price range that puts it next to some MAJORLY amazing cans like the HE400, HE-4, HE-5LE, etc. I'd avoid it.

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #4,866 of 5,992
It sounded too much like the Pro 900 without bass quantity. In any case, I'm not a fan of S-Logic at all, as it's detrimental to sound quality.

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #4,867 of 5,992
Quote:
The Pro 900 > Pro 2900. I didn't have a chance to compare them side by side, but I did hear both not too far apart from one another. The Pro 900 is cheaper, more exciting, and just as good as the Pro 2900. The Pro 2900, despite being open, didn't sound open. Sounded about as open as the Pro 900. The mids and treble were similar, and the bass has much less quantity on the Pro 2900. The quality of the bass is amazing, but there were times where I felt they were bass light, even next to the Q701 (at times).
There's no logical reason why the Pro 2900 costs so damn much. Stick with the Pro 900. The Pro 2900 is at a price range that puts it next to some MAJORLY amazing cans like the HE400, HE-4, HE-5LE, etc. I'd avoid it.

Cool.  Thanks

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #4,868 of 5,992
Quote:

You are making me want the HE-400s a lot. I am debating on selling the Pro 900s now. The more relaxingness of the HE-400s is calling me.
That is, if there would be anyone interested in modded phones. 
frown.gif

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #4,869 of 5,992
Despite it's ridiculous amp requirements, I feel the HE-4 ($450) was like the planar version alternative of the Pro 2900, with a meatier sound, better bass presence, and not as metallic treble. They both have sparkly treble and recessed mids, but the HE-4's is more rounded/fleshed out on both, and doesn't have that weird S-logic presentation.

I'd still get the HE400 with velours, which is better than both (slightly over the HE-4 which is more v shaped), and a lot easier to power.

That being said, I need to get my hands on another HE-4 to directly compare to the HE400 and see how it fares side-by-side. Typically, I'd prefer the HE-4's frequency curve over the HE400's more balanced approach, but I'm in utter love with the HE400, so I wonder if the HE-4 is as good as I remembered. I just wish it wasn't so hard to drive. If Hifiman brought out a newer HE that sounded like the HE-4 with easier powering requirements, I think I'd have to try them out.

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #4,870 of 5,992
Hey guys I just switched from Dre's because of all the great information that this forum had here. So far I just ordered a
Ultrasone Pro 900
Fiio e17
And some cable to go on my Iphone to the Fii0 for 9 dollars

Now my question is what cable would best suit me I prefer bass over everything but detail and mids matter. I have 100 dollars max ( a lil over is ok) and am wondering what cable would suit me the best from moon audio? Silver, Black Blue? If anyone can explain the differences on what they add or if their even worth it I would appreciate it. Also what type of cables do I need (What type of tips does my e17 accpet and headphones I see some with two input points to headphones and one to Amp) if you could link to the exact model on moon audio that would make my day.

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #4,871 of 5,992
You shouldn't be worrying about cables at this point, as that's the least important part of the audio chain, and will be hard to spot the difference. Get used to what you are hearing with the stock cable. If you feel like its worth spending an absurd amount of money for a micro-change, then by all means go ahead. I'd worry about everything else first.

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #4,872 of 5,992
Quote:
You shouldn't be worrying about cables at this point, as that's the least important part of the audio chain, and will be hard to spot the difference. Get used to what you are hearing with the stock cable. If you feel like its worth spending an absurd amount of money for a micro-change, then by all means go ahead. I'd worry about everything else first.

Hmm. I actually heard more improvement with my Blue Dragon (Pro 900) than I do with most amps I buy.

I also heard a pretty drastic difference when I swapped the HD600 stock cable for the HD650 one. It ruined the sound.

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #4,873 of 5,992
I won't go into the cable debate, but he's JUST starting his audiophile journey. Going for cables at this point when he doesn't even know how the Pro 900's sound like to him is beyond silly.

That and he has the E17. Pretty sure he's gonna boost his bass, which will make the cable moot.

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #4,874 of 5,992
Quote:

Hmm. I actually heard more improvement with my Blue Dragon (Pro 900) than I do with most amps I buy.

I also heard a pretty drastic difference when I swapped the HD600 stock cable for the HD650 one. It ruined the sound.

He needs to get his feet wet with stock cables first.  Baby steps..

Aug 5, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #4,875 of 5,992
Get yourself some XB700 pads (I know they cost a lot try finding a broken pair) These will provide superior comfort, better isolation and bass.
Quote:
Hey guys I just switched from Dre's because of all the great information that this forum had here. So far I just ordered a
Ultrasone Pro 900
Fiio e17
And some cable to go on my Iphone to the Fii0 for 9 dollars

Now my question is what cable would best suit me I prefer bass over everything but detail and mids matter. I have 100 dollars max ( a lil over is ok) and am wondering what cable would suit me the best from moon audio? Silver, Black Blue? If anyone can explain the differences on what they add or if their even worth it I would appreciate it. Also what type of cables do I need (What type of tips does my e17 accpet and headphones I see some with two input points to headphones and one to Amp) if you could link to the exact model on moon audio that would make my day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back