Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #4,831 of 5,992
I'm glad the mod was effective for you. I want to hear what a pair of open back headphones would sound like with this much bass. I mainly stick to closed back because of the bass they can produce, but an open back that can match it would be great.
How does the Pro 2900 sound as far as signature? I've always been curious.

Oh and my Xonar STX comes tomorrow. I may finally have the means of controlling this new bass mod. I feel as though the FiiO simply can't handle it at loud volumes.

I went back and recovered a hole so it's 3/4 open again. I want to try 4/4 when the STX gets here. It's default opamps have a warm signature and have great bass depth quality, so it may be able to really drive this new found low end on the Ultrasones.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #4,832 of 5,992
The Pro 2900 sounds a LOT like the Pro 900 without the super strong bass. It has the best bass quality I've heard. With more bass, as you guys are stating the mod does, it would be one hell of a headphone. The problem with the Pro 2900, is that it doesn't exactly sound open.

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #4,833 of 5,992
That's intriguing. I'm noticing the back of the headphones are going crazy now with all the bass.
I wonder if I could just drill some holes in the back of the phones....

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #4,834 of 5,992
Quote:
I'm glad the mod was effective for you. I want to hear what a pair of open back headphones would sound like with this much bass. I mainly stick to closed back because of the bass they can produce, but an open back that can match it would be great.
How does the Pro 2900 sound as far as signature? I've always been curious.
Oh and my Xonar STX comes tomorrow. I may finally have the means of controlling this new bass mod. I feel as though the FiiO simply can't handle it at loud volumes.
I went back and recovered a hole so it's 3/4 open again. I want to try 4/4 when the STX gets here. It's default opamps have a warm signature and have great bass depth quality, so it may be able to really drive this new found low end on the Ultrasones.

Can you hear any differences between 4 uncovered and 3?

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #4,835 of 5,992
Quote:
Can you hear any differences between 4 uncovered and 3?

Absolutely. 3 still has the tight effect of the mid bass. 4 loosening up the bass depth and lets the sub bass rumble out. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #4,836 of 5,992
Quote:
Absolutely. 3 still has the tight effect of the mid bass. 4 loosening up the bass depth and lets the sub bass rumble out. 

Which one do you think is better?

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #4,837 of 5,992
Hey again everyone I finally got my Pro 900's but I dont have a AMP/DAC yet so im not really sure how they are suppose to sound. But I was in a hot area once, and I was wearing these and I was getting sweaty. Then I came home and took of the ear pads and noticed it was moist in the inside and I was wondering if that is bad or not.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #4,838 of 5,992
Quote:
Hey again everyone I finally got my Pro 900's but I dont have a AMP/DAC yet so im not really sure how they are suppose to sound. But I was in a hot area once, and I was wearing these and I was getting sweaty. Then I came home and took of the ear pads and noticed it was moist in the inside and I was wondering if that is bad or not.

You should buy Contagion's E17. 
wink.gif

The pads being moist isn't bad. There are only 2 wires behind the driver, so a short, yet possible, is unlikely with just a little sweat. There are people who wear their headphones in mild rain. I think you'll be fine.

Running the Pro 900s without an amp would be icky. I suppose you can just get some burn in time, but these things love some current. They have a 40ohm impedance but, from experience (and others have said similar) that higher gains suited for higher impedance can drive them better. 

So, yeah. Hurry up and get an amp. 
basshead.gif

Which one do you think is better?

It's hard to say. I'm going to say 3/4. For now, at least. At high volumes, the bass from 4/4 is just so frigging huge.
I'll comment on that more when the STX gets here.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #4,840 of 5,992
Quote:
Lol hey Contagion (small world). Well thats good because I do notttt want to break these. Do you think it would also not matter if I was to wear these while on the bike at the gym?

No idea. :p Maybe get some pleather pads for them so your velours don't just get soaked. Ew.

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #4,842 of 5,992
Has anyone tried the lawton audio angle pads on their pro 900s? I'm really tempted to get them because they look SO much more comfortable 
beyersmile.png
. Plus, they seem like they would isolate much better than the velour ones.

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #4,843 of 5,992
@Rath1on
As far as the sound signature of the 2900, MLE hit the nail on the head. 

I wanted to ask what you were using to plug up the holes? Electrical tape? I was thinking maybe trying something a little porous like medical tape or maybe a patch of sticky felt.

On second thought, I'm probably going to leave all 4 holes open. @MLE you should probably revisit these :D

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #4,844 of 5,992
You ain't kidding. IF it indeed has more bass (and I mean the same quality bass), then it must be something special.

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #4,845 of 5,992
I just uncovered a hole so 3/4 are uncovered, and the bass!!!! It seriously feels like my head is shaking now. 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back