Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #4,682 of 5,992
Great! 
floatsmile.png

What are you going to drive them with?

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #4,683 of 5,992
Be aware they take quite a burn in. I was actually contemplating returning them because they just didn't sound right. Then, just all of a sudden, the SQ noticeably cleared up. And this is like 30ish hours of a burn in. Most people say 200-250+ hours for complete burn in. These are headphones that take some patience and understanding and forgiveness. There are obstacles to smooth over before the goods. They must be female headphones. 
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #4,684 of 5,992
Im powering them from a asus xonar essence st I think a much longer listing period and burn in  is needed before i can really comment on these! If im brutally honest i was not blown away initially, i had no idea what to expect tho, but after a couple of hours listing im begining to like them more and im noticing  much more detail in some tracks. which is pretty impressive, Im finding that vocals are not as clear and upfront as i would like tho,i don't feel the treble is too much tho just wish the vocals where as clear as the high treble stuff.Also the bass is not as much as i was expecting but then im a SERIOUS basshead that has had a car with 16 12" subwoofers LOL

I am hoping things improve with burn in or maybe i just need to get used to them for a little while! so far im happy with them but i think i expected a little more if im honest but as said i think i need alot longer to play around with them 1st!

EDIT

Just plugged my old sonys back in WOW its like going from a flac file to a 64kps file LOL!

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #4,685 of 5,992
I have mine sitting at home. I purchased them from the Sales thread second hand. Looking forward to listening to them these next few days.

I'm still rather uncertain on how to run them? I need to connect them to my PC but not sure if I should use an Xonar STX or something like an Arcam rPac. My plans are to buy the Schitt Asgard in September so the Xonar would probably by better since it has the best DAC inside and I could use the DAC along with the Asgard.

Any thoughts/opinions as to what I should do?

P.S. I have the DT1350 (awesome mids) and I had the Ultrasone HFI-780 which is very similar to a full sized version of the DT1350. I will be interested to hear just how recessed these mids on the Pro 900s are in comparison......

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #4,686 of 5,992
I too wasn't blown away by the Pro 900 after I came home last night. However, just a few hours in, and I've gotten accustomed to their signature, and they are clearly some pretty good headphones. Their bass is among the best I've heard in quality/quantity, and the treble isn't screechy like expected, which is a pleasant surprise. The mids are definitely their weak point, but its not as bad as when I first used them.

So far, so good. As the less annoying alternative to the D7000 (no more sweat inducing pleather to suffer with during the hot months), the Pro 900 is more than likely a keeper. I need more time with them, but as a preliminary score, I'll give them a 7.8.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #4,687 of 5,992
Hi, I have a few questions about this headphone, namely the S-Logic technology
I'm quite worried about hearing loss (I think I've lost a bit of high frequency hearing already and I don't even play my music that loudly)
Is the reduction in dB level caused by S-Logic true and does it prevent hearing damage?
Also, I've heard that the headphones are very bright, would this affect my hearing much? (As in lose my high and mid frequency hearing more easily)

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #4,688 of 5,992
I have just tried the free CD that came with theese and OMG This is amazing! I have never been a a real SQ guy before but it seriously sounds like there is a guy in the couner of the room playing the instrument! I have never experianced anything like this before im not even a fan of this kind of that kind of music but this is seriosuly cool,

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #4,689 of 5,992
Quote:
Hi, I have a few questions about this headphone, namely the S-Logic technology
I'm quite worried about hearing loss (I think I've lost a bit of high frequency hearing already and I don't even play my music that loudly)
Is the reduction in dB level caused by S-Logic true and does it prevent hearing damage?
Also, I've heard that the headphones are very bright, would this affect my hearing much? (As in lose my high and mid frequency hearing more easily)

You lose high frequencies as you get older, you know that right? That said, S-Logic has been used for a while by Ultrasone and I wouldn't imagine it being a sham. If anything, it spreads out the sound so it doesn't seem like it's all originating from a single point inside the cans. Which, just from speculation, would seem to help with db levels and overall wear on your eardrums.
During the burn in, the highs are pretty harsh, though. There have been a couple times when a certain note played (probably at the high 6.5khz response) and it was very piercing. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #4,691 of 5,992
The PRO900 do change over time, it's no placebo. The changes are not spectacular  themselves, but they do change the overall sound signature noticably. Bass gets better definition and the highs get a bit "rounder".

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #4,692 of 5,992
Quote:
Has anyone used their pro 900s with the schiit asgard? I just gave my fiio e17 to my brother and i have to find an amp to replace it. From what i've read, the asgard seems like a good amp for the price, but i haven't seen anything about the synergy between the two..

Just wanted to say that my Schiit BiFrost / Valhalla combo just arrive. So while I can't say anything about the Asgard, I will say that the combination makes the headphones sound like a completely different animal with my setup. The bass is *much* more available (I had commented when originally getting them that I didn't really notice it). The highs are not nearly as harsh and I can finally listen to them at a more preferable volume. This was a very expensive pursuit but I am extremely happy with the results. I think the tubes do a good job of rolling off the screechy highs it was prone to having (as well as hiding it with the extended bass now available to it).

I'm an extreme case however. While most people say the 900s are easy to drive, my ThinkPad T510 could not get the volume up nearly loud enough for my preferences, there was noticeable clipping, and the sound was extremely lack luster in bass. The BiFrost / Valhalla combination fixed all the problems I was having.

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #4,693 of 5,992
Has anyone had a problem with them & 1 cup cutting out ? 
Just happened to mine yesterday :frowning2: I am so incredibly sad I can not even describe it to you guys... I know its just a pair of headphones but I listen to music 7 hours every day minimum. 
Getting a new pair tomorrow but do not know what to do until then, nothing sound like them. 

Enough rambling I guess & more to the point haha!

So yesterday I got my Ipod touch 32gb ( reason was that it produced a MUCH cleaner sound then my S3, no distortion even at max volume through E11 )
I plug it all in, SQ is amazing, its beautiful, no distortion even at max volume... 10 minutes go by I decide to plug it into my E17 amp see how it does with the IPod ( when I did this I was at volume 30 on E17 and 60% on my ipod ) All of a sudden I hear my left cup start cutting out firstly randomly then around the bass notes ... I tap on the cup it comes back but muddy, lower sound then the other cup, right around the bass it cuts out again like it can not handle it or vibration screws up a contact. 

Since I have absolutely no idea on how they are designed inside would it be even possible that the bass disconnected some kind of a wire inside ? Ripped it ? Bad soldering ? 
I joked with my friend & his beats earlier that if we would put his beats pro between my pro900s & turn up the bass on 900s the beats would get disintegrated lol ... 

Fortunately I am still under the 30 days of buying them & I can get them replaced but I am scared as hell that this might happen again. 

Was it the Apple curse ? Was it the uncompressed wav ? Switching between amps ? Too much sound ? 

Thank you in advance guys, I hope I can learn something to prevent this from happening again ... or could it be just a bad headphone ?

Jul 13, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #4,694 of 5,992
Something like that sounds like the phones were just bad. I don't see an amp killing a pair of headphones. I listen to my 900s on my PC with an E17 at +12db gain at 52 volume 
atsmile.gif
 and it's fine. The headphones can only do so much, if the amp tries to do more, the headphones simply won't do it. I doubt they would break. Get that return done. 

I joked with my friend & his beats earlier that if we would put his beats pro between my pro900s & turn up the bass on 900s the beats would get disintegrated lol ...

Don't tell him they busted. He'll be like, "lololol Beats > Pro900s h8ers gunna h8 lolololol"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back