Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #4,231 of 5,992

Quote:
I've had mine for 3/4 years now and I must admit I cannot say whether the Pro 900 has changed audio characteristics or if it's just me who've gotten used to it. I think it's just because I've gotten used to it, but I honestly can't tell since I don't have a new pair to compare it to, and I honestly don't get how any of you guys can conclude that burn-in exists if you haven't A/B tested your pair with a new pair. Bro science ftw?!

I didn't believe the burn-in until I got PRO900. Most people probably won't notice the change (including me) since it happens so gradually (those who claim that they do, more power to you).
The reason I know the burn-in exist is because I had a pair with about 150 hours, sold them then bought a brand new pair (because I missed them so much!) from the same store and I was like What?!? Why do they sound so different? I am not that perceptive at changing sound but this was NOT subtle. Highs were the most significant, then lows, then mids.
If you are really in doubt about the PRO900 burn-in, buy a new pair and I will guarantee you that you will hear not-so-subtle differences.

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #4,232 of 5,992
I've had the pro 900 for a year and a half and i'm thinking of trading them.
When i bought them i had in mind using them for overall use and to serve as monitors as i intended to start making music/record.
I haven't really used them for what  they were intended, pro studio monitors, but more for listening to music and movies which i find amazing for the latter, but very fatiguing for enjoying some tunes. Even after getting used to the stomping and profound bass, i find it very distracting and tend to get tired. I've never been a basshead, hell i've never liked bass, but when i was looking to buy some good cans i found them appealing and came across a good deal so i snatched them. I've been thinking a lot about the DT880 and K701. Anyway, i would appreciate suggestions.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #4,233 of 5,992
OK so I have read a billion people saying how great the bass is. Are my headphones defective or do i just need a burn in? I have a cowon j3 and earsonics sm3 when the lows are cranked up they sound amazing. I got the ultrasones today and the volume that I usually listen on 28, now has to be cranked up to a 34. The sound at that point starts to get severely distorted. I'm talking about FLAC Files here. I plugged them in to my keyboard which is a professional keyboard and they sound amazing on whatever volume. I want to love these but I'm scared. Because it seems I was getting a much higher bass output on my player with the beats pro before I returned them. Please help!!!

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #4,234 of 5,992

Quote:
OK so I have read a billion people saying how great the bass is. Are my headphones defective or do i just need a burn in? I have a cowon j3 and earsonics sm3 when the lows are cranked up they sound amazing. I got the ultrasones today and the volume that I usually listen on 28, now has to be cranked up to a 34. The sound at that point starts to get severely distorted. I'm talking about FLAC Files here. I plugged them in to my keyboard which is a professional keyboard and they sound amazing on whatever volume. I want to love these but I'm scared. Because it seems I was getting a much higher bass output on my player with the beats pro before I returned them. Please help!!!

Do you live in EU or US? If you live in EU, is your volume capped or do you have it on Non-EU settings?

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #4,235 of 5,992
The kick/punch of drums, sub-bass, and piercing highs definitely changed with burn in. The highs aren't brutal anymore, the overall punch/kick sounds better, and sub-bass is more rattling.

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #4,237 of 5,992

Quote:
i live in the US. but either way they sound very distorted on higher volumes as if the track is low quality. Thats what scares me. I really hope its the burn in time needed.

The thing is that it worked with your keyboard, right? So, I'm not thinking that it's the Pro 900 that is at fault here. The interesting part is that I also find the J3 to distort at higher volumes (with EQ:ing).

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #4,240 of 5,992
Feb 21, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #4,241 of 5,992
Preferably a low output impedance solid state amp that can pump plenty of clean power into them.

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #4,242 of 5,992
+1 Amp with Pro900. It's not required, but recommended especially if you like it loud.

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #4,244 of 5,992
Thanks for all the replies guys. So these headphones have a natural low volume? Does it have to do with the 96 DB sensitivity? I'm not a pro at that. The lower the lower the volume they can put out? Is it my player that distorts on high volume and not the headphones?

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #4,245 of 5,992

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys. So these headphones have a natural low volume? Does it have to do with the 96 DB sensitivity? I'm not a pro at that. The lower the lower the volume they can put out? Is it my player that distorts on high volume and not the headphones?

Ultrasone cares about your ears :

http://www.ultrasone.com/index.php/en/company/technology/safer-hearing.html

So yes indeed, they "feel" like they aren't as loud compared to other headphones.

I tend to enjoy music differently at low, and loud volumes; that is why I wouldn't say "required".. I'm fine with the way they sound at low volume from my tiny Sansa Clip+ "EQed".
But I must agree they really come alive only once amped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back