Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Feb 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #4,216 of 5,992

Quote:
So I got my Ultrasone Pro 900s today, and paired with my Clip + and my E11 =

(imagine him wearing headphones...)

So happy atm.

Are you using Rockbox on your Clip+? I'm using the same combination with an EQ on Rockbox and it literally gives me the chills from the bass.

I recommend a Rockbox Clip+ is seriously a must if you want the heaviest bass possible.

Quote:
I want to get these but they are a bit out of my price range, so I might go with the Denon D2000s.

Have you auditioned the HFI-580? To tell you the truth, I'm happier with my 580's bass when listening to EDM using the Rockbox Clip+ and E11 combination because it's just more fun!
The bass is punchier and you feel more of the bass with the 580. It's excellent if you want a quality, clean alternative to the Beats (fun bass you can feel).
The Pro 900 is more of an audiophile bass.

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #4,217 of 5,992
So I'm at about 170 hrs of burn-in.

They sound the same as the 1st day I got them.

Even if there is any subtle change, I didn't notice it.

If anything, it's my ears adjusting to the sound, because putting on my HD25s again I'm surprised it sounded like what it did. THAT was a noticeable change from what I remembered it to be before I got the 900s.

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #4,218 of 5,992

Quote:
The bass is punchier and you feel more of the bass with the 580. It's excellent if you want a quality, clean alternative to the Beats (fun bass you can feel).
The Pro 900 is more of an audiophile bass.

I've just bought a DJ1 to use at work. I find the DJ1/580 has more mid-bass punch but lacks sub-bass and overall bass extension compared to the Pro900. It does isolate better though, hence why I got it for the office.

That said, at the moment I'm preferring the ES10 and the HD25 to the DJ1.

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #4,219 of 5,992

Quote:
...... If anything, it's my ears adjusting to the sound, because putting on my HD25s again I'm surprised it sounded like what it did. THAT was a noticeable change from what I remembered it to be before I got the 900s.

I agree with you on this.  Prior to my Pro 900's + NuForce Icon HDP, my primary desktop set up was:  ATH M50 + FiiO E10.  

Now when I switch to the M50+E10, it sounds so muddy and congested with little detail.  I'm sure the upgrade in headphones (Pro900>M50) and dac/amp (HDP>E10) has a lot to do with the improvement in SQ, but "ears (& brain) adjusting to sound" of new headphones and even S-Logic is a definite factor.

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #4,220 of 5,992
I agree with you on this.  Prior to my Pro 900's + NuForce Icon HDP, my primary desktop set up was:  ATH M50 + FiiO E10.  

Now when I switch to the M50+E10, it sounds so muddy and congested with little detail.  I'm sure the upgrade in headphones (Pro900>M50) and dac/amp (HDP>E10) has a lot to do with the improvement in SQ, but "ears (& brain) adjusting to sound" of new headphones and even S-Logic is a definite factor.

...and I'm sure if I listened to the Senns again for a week straight, then go back to 900s, they would sound tinny and harsh with no mids again! :D

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #4,221 of 5,992

Quote:

That said, at the moment I'm preferring the ES10 and the HD25 to the DJ1.

Hey Shamrock, the ES10 is excellent on the deep bass.  The problem is that I am also a treblehead and I find that the ES10 lacks the treble to my high level of liking.  I get that part to how I like it with the Treble Boost on the Touch and now with the ES17, with the Treble control in it.  When I use my Pro 900, I left the Touch on no EQ and now with the ES17, also on flat.  I just love the way the Pro 900 sounds as they are.

One day I will have to try the HD25.  They are on my list if I get an itch to buy another pair of HPs.  But the Pro 900 is keeping me from getting that itch so far.
smile.gif

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #4,223 of 5,992

Quote:

Are you using Rockbox on your Clip+? I'm using the same combination with an EQ on Rockbox and it literally gives me the chills from the bass.

I recommend a Rockbox Clip+ is seriously a must if you want the heaviest bass possible.

Nah I don't, just stock firmware. I am one of the few (only one!?) who likes having the volume safeguard for people in europe... stops me blasting it and making myself deaf! lol

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #4,224 of 5,992
i just got a silver cable from chris himself and personally its really hard to tell if i notice a difference between the time it takes to undo the cable, stick the other one in, and relisten. i typically forget how it sounded lol

i dont know if im losing it or not, but i tried the stock cable through the fiio e10, and then using the fiio e10 as a dac and through the o2 objective amp and then the same with the silver cable. with the stock cable there was a difference but it wasn't really obvious. from what i heard, the silver cable made it EXTREMELY obvious. it completely exposed how crappy the e10s dac section is compared to the o2. it sounded all sorts of muddy and detail-less, and then through the o2 it seems crystal clear.

maybe im losing it.

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #4,226 of 5,992
I'm also curious about how the bass of the 2900 compares.  Doubt Iwill find out anytime soon.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #4,227 of 5,992

Recently I was lucky enough to have A/B comparison of PRO900 and PRO2900 (and also LCD-2, DT880 /250 omh/, AKG701, T1, HD650, Edition 8, D2000). The latter as expected for opened cans have more air in the sound, bigger soundstage and even more details than PRO900. Bass is as brilliant as PRO900 albeit without that huge impact and involvement.
The bass of PRO900 remains unrivaled by nothing from above (it's actually the best I've ever heard with headphones) without any loss in its amazing quality.
I own the PRO900 since october 2011 and absolutely adore them. I should have taken into my consideration PRO2900 by the moment I decided to buy PRO900 though.
If you are completed basshead PRO900 is your king, otherwise I recommend to give a shot for PRO2900.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #4,228 of 5,992

Quote:
So I'm at about 170 hrs of burn-in.
They sound the same as the 1st day I got them.
Even if there is any subtle change, I didn't notice it.
If anything, it's my ears adjusting to the sound, because putting on my HD25s again I'm surprised it sounded like what it did. THAT was a noticeable change from what I remembered it to be before I got the 900s.

Really?? Mine are about the same place (maybe 200hrs) and sound very, VERY different. SO much more lively, crisp, evened out a little. I was initially (first 100hrs or so) not very happy with them, until I realized at some point (possibly from day 1) the gain switch on my amp got flipped on  
triportsad.gif

But then I flipped it off and since then i've been 
darthsmile.gif

L3000.gif

Feb 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #4,230 of 5,992
I've had mine for 3/4 years now and I must admit I cannot say whether the Pro 900 has changed audio characteristics or if it's just me who've gotten used to it. I think it's just because I've gotten used to it, but I honestly can't tell since I don't have a new pair to compare it to, and I honestly don't get how any of you guys can conclude that burn-in exists if you haven't A/B tested your pair with a new pair. Bro science ftw?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back